What's new

Fusion Pro-Glide with that funny rotating ball thing.

For some strange reason, I got a free, unsolicited Gillette Fusion Pro-Glide in the mail yesterday. I had stopped using these things years ago when I made the move to safety razors for the face with quality soaps or creams with a good brush. Full disclosure though - I'm a head shaver, and still use a Mach 3 in the shower on my skull every couple of days. I also keep a Mach 3 in my kit for the gym if I ever need to shave there (I'll shave both my head and face in the shower with that thing - it still does a good job for that purpose).

Well, I dropped the new, free Fusion in the dopp kit I keep in my gym bag and gave it a run yesterday at the gym using Pacific Shave Cream. I was stunned. This thing actually worked well and was very comfortable on the face and head. I like cartridge razors for the head because I don't have to worry about blade angle when head shaving in the shower. The Fusion did a fantastic job. Now, that doesn't mean I give up my Edwin Jagger DE89 for my morning ritual at the sink, but for what I'll use it for, the Fusion will stay in the gym bag. I'll move my kids to a junior college and out of their 4 yr schools to afford a carton of the replacement cartridges :laugh:, but at least I'm not going to be buying them at the frequency I did years ago since the frequency of Fusion use will be so much less.

Cheers.

Last year, I got a Fusion kit (razor + blades + gel) for free in exchange for an honest review online. I'm also supposed to get the new Pro-Shield one for free in a few days.

I really liked the razor. It has a nice handle and the flex ball helped me using less pressure, which is a pro.

The blades were not that good for me, as I struggled to get one week of daily shaves with it. The first 3 days were stellar, but then the comfort was greatly diminished.

I won't get an easy BBS with this razor, but I can get an acceptable DFS. Getting BBS with it results in ingrowns for me. The cost is just too high to change blade every 3 shaves.

I prefer investing tons of money in vintage razors and use really cheap blades. Funny, isn't it ?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That thing could be ideal for head shaves.

We love traditional around here, but some modern innovations make sense ... Head shaving with a straight, for example ... Might take a Jedi or zen master. Why risk losing an ear, eh?

AA

great tool for head shaves. I gave up on DE head shaves months ago due to the fact that the nicks were just too painful and prohibited me from shaving my head for days after. I can get almost a months worth of shaves off a fusion cartridge on my head.

altho i'm not head shaving (at least yet), i must admit that the shaves with the fusion flexball have been good.
also a good razor for short air travel trips.

$truefitt hill sandalwood gillette flexball art of shaving november 20 2014.jpg

If you are looking for a DE alternative that can go in carry-on baggage and suffice for body shaves - and maybe for head shaves - without breaking the bank on replacement cartridges, try Gillette Guard. It does not have that ball thingy but it does have a swivel. The Guard swivel, unlike the semi-classic Atra swivel, actually works.

Top Bottom