What's new

Fusion Pro-Glide vs Mach III (Again)

There are a lot of sources which state that the mach with 3 blades should be more gentle to your face than the fusion with 5. It makes sense to me that 5 blades going over the same area should cause more irritation than 3 would. But, I am not convinced that this is still true.

The Fusion, Pro-Glide, blades seem sharper to me than the older ones. I seem to get at least as comfortable a shave with then as with the Mach III blades and handles I have. I cannot say if the extra lube strip helps or not.

Have any of y'all found this to be true ? Or is my imagination running wild ?

Thanks, Ron

As far for shaves go maybe fusion shaves little closer than Mach 3 but lasts shorter, both feel pretty much the same on a frist couple of shaves.

I used a Fusion for a few shaves sometime last summer I received from a promotional mailer from Gillette. Honestly it was not harsh at all. I think overall they did a good enough job with it, but as a razor it just seemed a bit unwieldy to me, making maneuvering a little challenging.

I've been a long time Mach 3 user, and always found the first several shaves with a new cartridge to be a little uncomfortable, then it breaks in and works great for dozens of shaves afterward. I didn't find that "breaking in" to be the case with the Fusion.

Tactile Turn sells some very nice looking handles for the Mach 3 & Fusion, the Pruner and Parer razor handles. The Mach 3 line is called the Pruner and is available in two models. The stainless steel Pruner is made of 316L stainless steel and weighs 3 oz (86g) and is the one I ordered. The titanium Pruner is made of 6AL-4V titanium and weighs 1.80 oz (52g). Both Mach 3 models look the same and measure in at 5 inches in length and 0.5 inches in width. I ordered the stainless steel Pruner as I prefer heavier handles.

I dont use Fusions but their Fusion line is the Parer. The stainless steel Parer weighs 4.9 oz (138g), & the titanium one weighs 3.1 oz (88g). They measure in at 5.39 inches in length and 0.62 inches in width.

Tactile+Turn+Razor+Lifestyle-4.jpg

I was using the Fusion, then the Proglide about three years when I have found an unopened pack of four Mach 3 cartridges from my previous system on my shelf. The two of those carts are still new since I only try the Mach 3 from time to time to ensure the Fusion shaves better, i.e. closer with the same two passes WTG+ATG with less irritation on my skin. Not to mention my current Flexball handle advantadges for head shaving. From my experience the Fusion (Proglide) lifetime is essentially longer as well.

in my opinion (and i've been a mach3 user for nearly fifteen years) there's no contest. I have an incredibly thick beard and mach 3 cannot give me a bbs no matter what i try (wet preparation...good soap...beard mapping... good lathering... wtg, xtg atg..etc ect) . i always gat some spot left. With the fusion blades (i have a proglide flexball handle) especially the proglide blades, it's just 2 passes WTG and ATG and a few very light touches and BAM! BBS achieved! very impressive for me.

you use with the standart proglide blades ? or the power proglide blades ???
Thank's :)

It sounds weird but if you like the Mach 3 try the Mach 3 turbo. I don't know what it is but I get significantly better shaves with the Turbo.

It sounds weird but if you like the Mach 3 try the Mach 3 turbo. I don't know what it is but I get significantly better shaves with the Turbo.
My experience is similar to Luca1965, above. The Mach3 never gives as close a shave as the Proglide. I have not tried the Mach3 Turbo however. Shupey do you have any idea what about the Mach3 Turbo cart gives a better shave than the regular Mach3 cart? Sharper blades? Different lube strip? Something else?

My experience is similar to Luca1965, above. The Mach3 never gives as close a shave as the Proglide. I have not tried the Mach3 Turbo however. Shupey do you have any idea what about the Mach3 Turbo cart gives a better shave than the regular Mach3 cart? Sharper blades? Different lube strip? Something else?

mach 3 turbo shave almost the same like mach 3
if you don't like the standard mach3 don't try the turbo version ...
however, i can say the shaves in mach 3 turbo has improved in a glide (because the lubrication strip is much larger).
but in terms in shave results is the same in both versions.

There are a lot of sources which state that the mach with 3 blades should be more gentle to your face than the fusion with 5. It makes sense to me that 5 blades going over the same area should cause more irritation than 3 would. But, I am not convinced that this is still true.

The Fusion, Pro-Glide, blades seem sharper to me than the older ones. I seem to get at least as comfortable a shave with then as with the Mach III blades and handles I have. I cannot say if the extra lube strip helps or not.

Have any of y'all found this to be true ? Or is my imagination running wild ?

Thanks, Ron

Over time, since writing this post, I have found myself to be wrong. If I do a continued, daily, shave my very, sensitive face suffers less using the Mach 3. I still don't think many, normal, skinned, people would suffer from the use of a Fusion. Sorry for incorrect post.
Ron

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
We're always allowed to adjust our opinions, Ron. I appreciate the update on your view if using both for daily shaves over prolonged periods.

Thanks for the update Ron. I found the same with the mach3. I don't have the proglide, but the previous version of the Fusions. They felt like they were sharper at first, but I suffered in the post shave, whereas I could get very good shaves with the mach3 and the post shave was much more comfortable.

I've got a D/E, Proglide, and Mach 3 Turbo in my bathroom. Which one I use on any given day just depends on my mood and how much time I've got on my hands. Having used all three side by side for a long time, I would summarize as follows.

1. Of COURSE the D/E shaves better. But it does take longer, and no matter how I practiced I get at it, I still get the occasional weeper, scratch, etc. Kind of a pain. But a great shave.

2. The Mach 3 is a perfectly adequate shave. Cuts pretty close, but not as close as D/E. No irritation afterward. Pretty useful product to have around, in terms of efficiency and time saved. A good cream really helps ensure a good shave with this one.

3. The Proglide is, for me, a lot better than the Mach 3. Cuts very close - comparable to the D/E or at least damned near to it. Zero irritation. Works great with a good cream, but is also very forgiving without one. I can shave completely dry with the Proglide and get good results - no water, cream, gel, etc, just put blade on skin and swipe. It's pretty cool in that respect. I hate paying for the Proglide carts but it's quite a good product. The only thing I don't like about it is that the cartridge is so much bigger than the M3, making it somewhat unwieldy. But I've gotten used to that, more or less.

All three have their place, I suppose. They all meet my needs depending on what I'm looking for on a particular day. In all honesty I probably reach for the Proglide more than the D/E, just because it's so forgiving; I never get cut or nicked and it's like 2 minutes to shave.

Tactile Turn sells some very nice looking handles for the Mach 3 & Fusion, the Pruner and Parer razor handles. The Mach 3 line is called the Pruner and is available in two models. The stainless steel Pruner is made of 316L stainless steel and weighs 3 oz (86g) and is the one I ordered. The titanium Pruner is made of 6AL-4V titanium and weighs 1.80 oz (52g). Both Mach 3 models look the same and measure in at 5 inches in length and 0.5 inches in width. I ordered the stainless steel Pruner as I prefer heavier handles.

I dont use Fusions but their Fusion line is the Parer. The stainless steel Parer weighs 4.9 oz (138g), & the titanium one weighs 3.1 oz (88g). They measure in at 5.39 inches in length and 0.62 inches in width.

View attachment 812761
It’s a shame that it seems they no longer sell these handles. They’re some of the nicer Mach 3 handles I’ve seen.

Top Bottom