What's new

Fusion like a cheese grater

Have been occasionally using a Proglide Power razor over the last half dozen years. Use the same cream, one of the TOBS ones, I use when I DE shave. Today after about 4 months DE shaving pulled out my Proglide Power with a somewhat used cart still loaded from the last shave. Going cross grain, 2nd pass, under my chin, I felt I was dragging a cheese grater across my neck. I stopped mid stroke and I could see the redness in the mirror where the cart scrapped me. Finished the shave, carefully with a Sensor razor, even going ATG over the scrapped area without any additional pain. Have never had that experience before. The cart was used before and did not perform differently than proglide power carts usually do. I have used the proglide power system on and off for years without any issue. right now I don’t want to even try any Fusion/Proglide cart again.
Anyone have this experience or an idea what happened to me this time?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have not used power razors before not even my carts that take batteries. The only thing that I can think of is that the blades on the cart may have been damaged in storage. This happened to me a few years ago when I put a cart away in the drawer that had only a few shaves on it. Next time I used it it was a terrible shave. I asked LOTH if she had touched the razor and found out that she had gone to open the drawer one day and pulled it all the way out accidentally. When she was picking everything up she twice dropped the razor on the tiled floor. She didn’t think that it would cause any issue so she never told me.

Good idea, tried a new cart in the razor and used no pressure, as I do shaving with my R41 and a Feather blade. Much less painful scrapping, but I could still feel some scrapping. One advantage I find with a cart is not having to pay intense focus and still get a decently close shave without blood or irritation. Right now the Fusion is no longer working for me. Still have the Sensor system but will wait a while before trying that. I am in my 70’s and maybe this is a result of the way skin changes with age? Just don’t know.

This dragging effect may be down to the blade cut on the end of your stubble hair. A DE or SE have different profiles on the blade and there for leave the hair with a different cut 'tip' then you use a thinner multi blade with a different profile and it attacks the hair at a different angle and therefore gives a different feel and result. Its a bit like why anything more than 3 blades in a cart gives me real bad ingrown but a sensor cart leaves me like silk. However YMMV.

Update FWIW - giving away Fusion and Mach3 carts to family members who use them, holding on to Senor and Sensor Xcel carts which do seem to work very much like my DE razors. Wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience with a cart system that worked well enough fro years than did not?

Top Bottom