What's new

Further deranged about shaving, is Desertlifter

Finally getting around to Italy: my shave log. The story so far is that after hating shaving for like....30 years...I started wet shaving with DE razors. Participating in this forum then got me interested in fountain pens (among other things), so trying a SR was likely inevitable. I purchased my first straight - a Wester Bros. - and a poor man's strop kit from Whipped Dog.

As as of today, I've been testing the waters and learning my straight for a couple of months. I don't use my straight every day, but I do shave every day with either my SR or a DE. My plan is to slowly taper my DE use with time.

Ive already covered my SR kit, so here is the DE and soap/extras:

DE Razors: S&S fat stubby and a Gillette gold ball end.

Soaps: Chiseled Face Summer Storm
Chiseled Face Midnight Stag
Blades Grim Smolder
Proraso Green and Red

Brushes: AOS Best Badger
Blades Grim Synthetic (LOVE this brush)

Latest shave today after spending a week hiking in the Redwoods National Forest. Lathered up with Summer Storm and my synthetic brush, then had at it

I've only cut myself once with my straight, that a vertical cut on my chin when I was shaving across the grain. That cut was shallow and about 1cm in length.

Today was was apparently time for another ding. The corner of my square point razor cut a fine line in front of my ear. No pain, barely bled.

So so I slowed down, relathered, and finished two passes (WTG and XTG) with no further drama.

My result - other than the small souvenir - was a DFS on most of my face and neck. I touched things up a bit with my S&S, applied and rinsed alum, and called it a night.

I consistently get a more even shave with my straight. I'm not getting BBS yet, but the trouble spots on my neck that annoy me like crazy are nice and clean with the SR.

BBS will come. Thanks for checking in.

Welcome to the semi-sanity of the journals board! You don't need a lobotomy, but many find it helps...

IMHO you did well with going with a Whipped Dog kit. A lot of guys have gotten their start with straight razors from Larry, myself included.
Slow and easy rules the day! If a stroke doesn't feel right then don't take it! =)
Experience is the greatest teacher... Now you know a few thing not to do, and that's just as important as knowing what to do =)
Here's to hoping them little 'dingers' heal quickly!
Happy shaves! =)

Last edited:
Finally getting around to my shave log. The story so far is that after hating shaving for like....30 years...I started wet shaving with DE razors. Participating in this forum then got me interested in fountain pens (among other things), so trying a SR was likely inevitable. I purchased my first straight - a Wester Bros. - from #scag315 and a poor man's strop kit from Whipped Dog.

As of today, I've been testing the waters and learning my straight for a couple of months. I don't use my straight every day, but I do shave every day with either my SR or a DE. My plan is to slowly taper my DE use with time.

Ive already covered my SR kit, so here is the DE and soap/extras:

DE Razors: S&S fat stubby and a Gillette gold ball end.

Soaps: Chiseled Face Summer Storm
Chiseled Face Midnight Stag
Blades Grim Smolder
Proraso Green and Red

Brushes: AOS Best Badger
Blades Grim Synthetic

(edited for clarity - my razor was purchased here on the forum)

Yet another SR shave today, and I hints are progressing well, I think. Completed two passes (WTG/ATG) on nearly all of my face today. Only holdouts are a spot near my Adam's apple and just under my chin. No surprises there.

Lathering is different with a SR for me than a DE, and it is getting easier to get right. One thing I really need to get tune up is the he length of my stroke. I am taking very short ones, which I know is better in general. However, when I get too short, I get kind of a choppy motion that makes the razor bounce a bit off of my whiskers where they are thicker, which invites disaster.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
... If the angle is correct and the blade is properly sharpened you should have a smooth stroke through whiskers ....
So that explains why my normal strokes are like 1" buffing :tongue_sm

You're coming along just fine, [MENTION=67638]Desertlifter[/MENTION] . After a few years doing this, my normal shave has morphed into a pure NS-SN 2-pass, which is close to a WTG-ATG semblance. I don't even try a true XTG anymore.

This is a concern. The razor should never bounce off whiskers. If the angle is correct and the blade is properly sharpened you should have a smooth stroke through whiskers no matter the length of said stroke. The second thing to check is the slickness to your lather. If your lather is too heavy, it creates an issue with trying to draw the razor through that thick lather. The lather can actually pull the razor towards your face and reduce the blades efficiency. Make sure you have a slick lather, which comes from adding water. hope this helps. :thumbup:

This actually helps a ton - thanks! My cheeks and throat are easy, but the whiskers on my chin are like 12 gauge wire. I will thin out the lather on my next SR shave.

Working on stropping as well, and starting to notice when it is right.

Another swing shift, another SR shave. Today was all about the lather.

Lathered up like I usually do, then added water. More brush action. Added more water. And a touch more.

Well that helped a TON. I've always been afraid of adding too much,water, and have gotten adept at developing a nice, pretty lather tat is every bit as fluffy and thick as canned goo.

Which looks cool, but isn't great for shaving. Completed two passes on my entire face and it felt like a different razor. One tiny nick that

Very nice job on your straight shaves. I like a dense creamy lather that is wetter than what I used when I DE shaved. Airy lather = problem for me with irritation.

Everyone has what works for them, but keeping the razor's spine close to my face has always been a good thing for me. If I can do that and not add too much pressure - then the shave will go well.

Keep up the good work!

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

Working swing shift today at the patrol, so out came the straight.

I know it was bound to happen, but I didn't expect it to happen today. I suppose no one ever does. Lucky I'm stocked up on alum and styptic.

Because I didn't need it! [emoji38] Two passes (WTG and XTG) on my entire Visage. Not a weeper or nick to be found. Even got the tricky spots. Success!

My DE was sad until it saw that my head needed shaving. Barely a twinge when I applied alum. Shave was either DFS or BBS depending on the area.

Really looking forward to trying a different SR soon - one without a sharp corner. My Wester is a great razor, but I wonder how much easier my neck might be with a different blade shape.

Sounds like you are starting out quite well, and welcome to the dark side.

I see that you are paying close attention to the square point, as well you should. One thing you might consider, as many of us do, is to "mute" that point by gently running it (just the point, mind you) down the mirror at a 45 deg angle a couple of times. And yes, prior to learning that trick from the good folks here, I have that tee-shirt too! :001_cool:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Sounds like you are starting out quite well, and welcome to the dark side.

I see that you are paying close attention to the square point, as well you should. One thing you might consider, as many of us do, is to "mute" that point by gently running it (just the point, mind you) down the mirror at a 45 deg angle a couple of times. And yes, prior to learning that trick from the good folks here, I have that tee-shirt too! :001_cool:
Yup, the mirror trick works very well; no pressure needed at all. Well, that's a lie. The pressure is to ensure SWMBO doesn't catch you. :a6:

And the band played on.....

After a bit of work/life rushing about, I had (finally) a good night for a nice shave. You know the type - not just a functional whisker whacking, but a nice and relaxing razor communion. Lathered up some Midnight Stag(lordy I love this stuff!) with my new extra damp lather skills after a leisurely stropping and hove to. Today I had only about a 24 hour growth, which at this point is easiest for me. Could be the razor, most likely the idjit attached to it.

But I digress. Had a big success tonight, a couple of new benchmarks, and a lesson or two learned. Here goes:

Success? Completed two passes (WTG and XTG) on nearly my entire face and neck with ZERO problems. I used an alum block afterwards and felt nary a touch of it. I even tried a bit of ATG action on easy spots with great results. Most of the shave was DFS with a bit of BBS here and there.

More success? I got extra brave (dumb) and tried a bit of scalp shaving. This went exceedingly well, although I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Teachable moments? I am getting more comfortable with moving the razor as it passes around my face, which greatly improves both the shave and its ease on my skin. Going to really focus on that. Learning to use different grips is helping a lot. Next, that corner on my razor that tends to be a real problem is also nice for detail work - that missed whisker that bugs me, a couple of spots hard to access even contorting and stretching all over the place.

This is is good stuff folks. Well worth the effort, and makes DE shaving like an electric razor, or close to it. It reminds me of the difference between bait chucking and fly fishing. Yes, I will often catch more fish with down riggers and a fish finder, but given the option, I reach for my fly rod every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
In time you will also get exceptional shaves with a straight razor. I find that I still use my DE about 5% of the time when I'm rushed, but as Larry here always says, I feel like I wasted a shave when I do.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
It's wonderful when you discover that your alum block no longer "works" (i.e no sting), isn't it? :thumbup1:

Woot! off to a high speed-low drag start with a minimum loss of precious bodily fluids. :thumbup: Welcome to the madness! Hope you brought your wallet! :lol:

Top Bottom