What's new

Funky meerschaum smell

I would think a quart jar would be sufficient. I'd put the pipe bowl and charcoal in the jar, put the whole thing in the oven on its side, with lid off of course. Take it out hot and immediately seal it up. Leave on its side for the duration of the de-funkifying process. Again, I've never done this. Proceed with caution , at your own risk.
I doubt it will do any damage. It may do more than the first bake being more sealed in a small area.

So I did what @nortac suggested. Last sunday morning I put the morta stummel in a quart jar sideways on a bed of activated charcoal. Also filled the bowl for good measure. Baked at 170 degrees (the lowest my stove went) for 3 hours. I put a seal and lid on as soon as it was removed from the stove. Upon cooling it sealed with the pop. Left it in the jar with the charcoal sealed in the vacuum for the last couple days.

Just popped it open and I believe it may have worked. It definitely lessened the odor. Before when taking a big whiff I could definitely smell it when cool this time I could barely detect the smell. I think it is still there but not at all as bad. I could even smell a burned tobacco smell with it so thats a plus lol. The odor was all I got before lol. True test will be smoking it. Gotta re epoxy the tenon but I may just press it in to give it a smoke test lol. Exciting :thumbup:

Also no residue was left by the charcoal or any color change. No damage to the silver or mortise insert.

At the bottom of my test smoke bowl. Peterson irish oak was the test baccy. I chose it because I like the blend and because it is somewhat lighter and if the funky odor remained I would be more likely to pick it up in the smell and flavor. I am happy to report that I believe the meer is de-funked! The bowl was enjoyable and was tasted/smelled how I remember this blend was in a meer. The odor is gone or gone enough that I couldn't taste or smell it when the pipe is warm. Got the normal va-per flavors and scents. Even on the retrohale. Glad to have the meer back! :clap:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
At the bottom of my test smoke bowl. Peterson irish oak was the test baccy. I chose it because I like the blend and because it is somewhat lighter and if the funky odor remained I would be more likely to pick it up in the smell and flavor. I am happy to report that I believe the meer is de-funked! The bowl was enjoyable and was tasted/smelled how I remember this blend was in a meer. The odor is gone or gone enough that I couldn't taste or smell it when the pipe is warm. Got the normal va-per flavors and scents. Even on the retrohale. Glad to have the meer back! :clap:

That will probably work on any funky pipe I think. I have a Briar that smells like the bottom of Grandma’s make up drawer that needs a defunk.

That will probably work on any funky pipe I think. I have a Briar that smells like the bottom of Grandma’s make up drawer that needs a defunk.
Definitely! It was used on briar originally from the article I read about it on the gl pease website. Wasn't sure if it would work on a meer honestly. I am still smelling some of it once I emptied the bowl but it is wayyy less. Not sure if it is just the tobacco juices I am smelling though. I'll give it another whiff in the morning once it has dried out. If it returns I may give it another treatment and see. It certainly removed enough of it to make smoking the rest out more enjoyable lol.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose

Nah, that’s just a Lakeland pipe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
You might want to leave it in the jar under vacuum a bit longer if you repeat the process.

You might want to leave it in the jar under vacuum a bit longer if you repeat the process.
Maybe. We will see. Kinda think the smell is more throughout the meer than a ghost in a briar. It may take a bit more to get it permanently gone. The heat seems to bring out the smell. I'm not sure how much leaving it sealed for days when cool does. But I'm no expert. I know the more coarse charcoal from the pet department worked way better than the powder. Guess because it allowed more airflow. I'll smoke it some more and then give it another go in the oven if it gets smelly again. Eventually its got to disappear... I hope lol.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
If you place a volatile liquid under vacuum, even without heat, it will "boil". It depends of course on how volatile the liquid is and how much vacuum is applied. It may take a while for deeply imbedded funk to work its way out of the meerschaum material and the process may continue, albeit slowly, under vacuum after it has cooled off. It certainly wouldn't hurt to let set for a longer period of time, may or may not make any difference, only one way to find out.

If you place a volatile liquid under vacuum, even without heat, it will "boil". It depends of course on how volatile the liquid is and how much vacuum is applied. It may take a while for deeply imbedded funk to work its way out of the meerschaum material and the process may continue, albeit slowly, under vacuum after it has cooled off. It certainly wouldn't hurt to let set for a longer period of time, may or may not make any difference, only one way to find out.
Cool. I'll give it a try. I'll be honest I was very impatient and wondering if any difference had been made :lol:. I'll give it a bit then try again when needed :thumbup:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I understand, I tend to be impatient myself. If I were to undertake the procedure, I'd probably let it sit under vacuum for a week. I suspect you have enough pipes to make due with in the interim?

I understand, I tend to be impatient myself. If I were to undertake the procedure, I'd probably let it sit under vacuum for a week. I suspect you have enough pipes to make due with in the interim?
Hehe I believe I have enough if I wanted to leave it in there for a few months :lol:

After putting about 5 various bowls through the meer I detect no odd flavors. A little smell after the bowl but a few of ky others smell like stinky tobacco juices after a bowl as well. I don't think it will need another bake with the charcoal :thumbup:

Top Bottom