What's new

Funky meerschaum smell

Last may I aquired a couple meer's. One of which is a tekin. The pipe is nice and smokes well. The issue is there is a funky odor that comes from the bowl. It gets stronger when warm from smoking. The pipe has pretty much been used for latakia blends because those seem to cover the odor and funky taste that comes with it. Any lighter blends I get a weird flavor as well.

I was hoping it would smoke out but as I get more bowls through it (I'm guessing around 15-20 now) the smell remains and doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Any ideas of how to purge the odor from the pipe? It's almost a chemical smell. Not sure if it is just the meerschaum block the pipe was made with or something else. Maybe something left from how they cleaned it before carving? Or even the wax used? I don't believe I have waxed this pipe yet. Not sure if there is a way to clean it and lessen the odor. I know cleaning is somewhat limited with how porous meerschaum is.

The more I smoke it the more the smell bothers me. It is the only meer I have that has this odor. Any ideas? I'm up to trying anything. I like the pipe. It looks good, draw is good, and smokes good other than the smell.

20180630_214341.jpg

Someone here (Briar Boy, maybe?) had the same issue with his H.Cor. IIRC, it smoked itself away eventually, but it did take a while.

I'll keep smoking it and see how it goes. I know it is recommended to not use alcohol on meerschaum as far as I know. The retort is not good from what I've read. Right after writing this I swabbed the bowl out with a cleaner very lightly dampened with alcohol. Just barely enough to dampen the cleaner. It evaporated quickly and didn't soak in so I believe that will be ok. It did seem to lighten the odor I have been smelling. Might have to do it in stages. Smoke it some to bring out more of whatever it causing the odor then another swab. I'll update this post with the results. I'm always fearful of doing stuff like this to meer because of the porosity and how fragile they are lol. But I guess it isn't any worse than dealing with the meer funk lol.

Swabbing the chamber changed nothing. Guess it couldn't be that easy lol. I'll keep working (smoking) it. Might smoke it out within the next 5yrs with how often I smoke it :lol:

Any chance it’s the stem?
Unfortunately not. I get no odor when sniffing the outside of the pipe. Only when sniffing the bowl directly do I get the funky scent. I suppose it is just the meerschaum that was used. The odor gets stronger after it is smoked and the bowl is warm.

Read this article about using heat and activated charcoal to remove ghosts. Maybe a possibility? My concern would be the pipe heating up enough to loosen any adhesive for the silver adornment or even melt the tenon. I guess keeping the heat low would be key. I'm not sure how hot pipes normally get when being smoked.

G. L. Pease Tobaccos - Articles & Essays

Mike H

Instagram Famous
It could be the meerschaum itself and not ghosting from a previous tobacco. You could try leaving it in a sunny window when not in use to speed the drying process.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

It could be the meerschaum itself and not ghosting from a previous tobacco. You could try leaving it in a sunny window when not in use to speed the drying process.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk
I'll give it a try. May warm it with a heat gun. It is definitely the meerschaum. Bought it new last march. Totally unsmoked it had the same odor :frown:

Yes I believe you could definitely describe the smell as a musty briny smell.
That is the same thing Aaron described. Meerschaum literally means "sea foam", and it is mined from grounds near the Mediterranean and Black Seas (among others). I'm guessing sometimes the mineral retains some of that "sea smell".

That is the same thing Aaron described. Meerschaum literally means "sea foam", and it is mined from grounds near the Mediterranean and Black Seas (among others). I'm guessing sometimes the mineral retains some of that "sea smell".
Yeah thats what I've been reading. Hoping there is a way to lessen it. Guess I just got one of the stinkers lol. Meerschaum wouldn't have the reputation it has of being neutral if they all smelled like this :lol:

Ummm, I'll be the one to take one for the team. Send it to me, I'll send it back once all the smell is gone....

Someone here (Briar Boy, maybe?) had the same issue with his H.Cor. IIRC, it smoked itself away eventually, but it did take a while.
That happened to me with my H Cor Reverse Calabash. It basically smelled like "low tide," if you catch my drift.

It took a looooot of bowls, but the smell eventually went away. It's also the best meer I have in terms of the grain of the meerschaum, so it was worth the suffering.

That happened to me with my H Cor Reverse Calabash. It basically smelled like "low tide," if you catch my drift.

It took a looooot of bowls, but the smell eventually went away. It's also the best meer I have in terms of the grain of the meerschaum, so it was worth the suffering.
ahh I remember. Was that a smell in just the rc chamber or was it in the bowl as well?

Top Bottom