What's new

Funky meerschaum smell experiment and discussion

Hello everyone, I’m a pipe lover from China. You can call me Guangji. There is a serious problem bodering me for over 10 years, which is the funky meerschaum smell. I’ve tried nearly all soulutions I can think or I can find over the webside, but nothing works.
coloring bowl.jpg

Description of the smell:
It almost can’t be catched from the unsmoked meerschaum. For most of the unsmoked ones, they don’t have any smell at all.
If you at first time and always use a coloring bowl on your meerschaum, there won’t be any funky smell in your meerschaum.
If you don’t use a coloring bowl, which means putting tobacco directly in the bowl, when you finish your smoking, there will be the funky smell immediately.
The funky smell is just like the smell of sea. I don’t think it’s from the bowl inside but the skin of the whole pipe.
When you smoke, the funky smell don’t boder you but after you finish, the smell of sea is always unconfortable.

Which brands of meerschaum have I tried?
Altinay, Tekin, F.baki, IMP, Karahan, SMS, H.cor, F.yavuz, Ender, Eyup Sabri and so on. The all have the funky smell.

What have I done?
Smoke as much as I can.
It did lessen the smell, but it took at least over 100 times. However the funky smell can’t be elininated, there is still some kind of subtle smell of sea.

Soak the meerschaum in pure water/baking soda/tea for 24hrs.
It didn’t work at all.

Soak the meerschaum in alcohol(75%/95%/brandy/whisky) for 24hrs.
It didn’t work at all, however these experiments seem that alcohol is not so harmful to meerschaum.

Salt + alcohol
It didn’t work at all.

Boile the meerschaum for 2hrs.
The wax was seperated from the meer, the smell was still here, but it seems to transform to another kinds of smell. Once the wax is absent, the meerschaum will no longer be colored.

Burn the meerschaum.
Nothing change but color.

Hypothesis

Hypothesis 1: The smell comes from the wax.
As we know the wax on the meerschaum is not pure beewax. It consists of beewax, other kinds of wax, and oil. Maybe there are some other materials we don’t know, because when we heat or burn the beewax of oil, their won’t be the funky smell.

Hypothesis 2: The smell comes from the meerschaum.

Hypothesis 3: The smell comes from the chemical reaction between tobacco/smoke oil and meerschaum.

Hypothesis 4: The smell comes from the chemical reaction between wax and meerschaum.

Hypothesis 5: The smell comes from the chemical reaction between tobacco/smoke oil, wax and meerschaum.

Experiment design

It’s very difficult to eliminate the wax from the meerschaum, so we need a brand new unwaxed meerschaum and a brand new normal meerschaum with wax.

First we need to heat the normal meerschaum in 220°F without tobacco in the bowl. If the funky smell appears, Hypothesis 1 or 4 will be verified.

Otherwise we start the second experiment. Then we need to heat the unwaxed meerschaum in 220°F without tobacco in the bowl. If the funky smell appears, Hypothesis 2 will be verified.

Otherwise we start the third experiment. Then we continue to use the unwaxed one and put tobacco into the bowl and then smoke. If the funky smell appears, Hypothesis 3 will be verified.

Otherwise Hypothesis 5 will be verified.

It’s my first post here, I don’t know much more about this forum. I found here because I found this post. https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/funky-meerschaum-smell.546777/

If you want to know the following experiment result, please let me know and give me some suggestion on the improvement of the experiment design.

And I am always interesting and waiting for your experience on getting rid of funky smell from meerschaum.

I’ve got a pretty sensitive nose…I was always tasked with “find that smell” when growing up. I have 2 meets, both used…one considerably more than the other. I don’t notice any “low tide” “ocean” smells in either of them….

Maybe I’ll have to check more closely…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck! Hopefully it will work for you. I got my activated charcoal in the pet section of a local store. It is used in some fish tank filters.

It been a few years I had to re-read the thread myself 🤣. I forgot how bad stinky that pipe was when I got it lol.
BBCB553C-5438-4FAB-ADF6-C4A707554417.jpeg

I hope i can no longer use the coloring bowl to get rid of the odor.

I’ve got a pretty sensitive nose…I was always tasked with “find that smell” when growing up. I have 2 meets, both used…one considerably more than the other. I don’t notice any “low tide” “ocean” smells in either of them….

Maybe I’ll have to check more closely…

Another kinds of smell? Or just nothing? Thank you for your reply.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Meerschaum is wet when mined, and does smell like the sea. It’s either wet or rewetted (if it was dried previously) before carving. Then it needs to be dried before waxing. I think many makers don’t fully dry the meerschaum before waxing, and smell is likely in the meer. Try putting the pipe without the stem out in a sunny place for a couple of weeks to dry it and see if that helps.

Your hypothesis that the smell could be in the wax is also reasonable. As you know, it’s mostly beeswax. Back in the old days, a little spermaceti was mixed with the beeswax. This gave the wax a harder and more durable finish, which was also shinier. I’ve rewaxed meers with a blend of mostly beeswax with a little jojoba oil to do the same thing the spermaceti did. But, pipe makers may use different additives, and if they’re replicating the spermaceti they may use some kind of fish oil. I’ve never heard of them doing that, but it’s a reasonable leap that they might. To test this, I’d recommend rewaxing the meer with the oven method. Put the pipe without stem in a slow oven around 200, and put a little jar of the wax mixture you’re going to use in the oven also so the pipe and wax reach the same temp. Leave them in for 30 minutes or so. I make a little cone of aluminum foil and put the pipe bowl over that on a baking sheet, so that the wax covered surfaces don’t touch anything. Take the pipe and wax out, paint the wax on with a brush (being careful not to get any in the bowl or the tenon), and then return the pipe to the oven for another 30 minutes or so to bake the wax in and melt off any excess. Remove, let cool completely, and then buff with a soft cloth. If the smell is in the wax, this process will cook off much of the remaining wax before rewaxing.

Meerschaum is wet when mined, and does smell like the sea. It’s either wet or rewetted (if it was dried previously) before carving. Then it needs to be dried before waxing. I think many makers don’t fully dry the meerschaum before waxing, and smell is likely in the meer. Try putting the pipe without the stem out in a sunny place for a couple of weeks to dry it and see if that helps.

Your hypothesis that the smell could be in the wax is also reasonable. As you know, it’s mostly beeswax. Back in the old days, a little spermaceti was mixed with the beeswax. This gave the wax a harder and more durable finish, which was also shinier. I’ve rewaxed meers with a blend of mostly beeswax with a little jojoba oil to do the same thing the spermaceti did. But, pipe makers may use different additives, and if they’re replicating the spermaceti they may use some kind of fish oil. I’ve never heard of them doing that, but it’s a reasonable leap that they might. To test this, I’d recommend rewaxing the meer with the oven method. Put the pipe without stem in a slow oven around 200, and put a little jar of the wax mixture you’re going to use in the oven also so the pipe and wax reach the same temp. Leave them in for 30 minutes or so. I make a little cone of aluminum foil and put the pipe bowl over that on a baking sheet, so that the wax covered surfaces don’t touch anything. Take the pipe and wax out, paint the wax on with a brush (being careful not to get any in the bowl or the tenon), and then return the pipe to the oven for another 30 minutes or so to bake the wax in and melt off any excess. Remove, let cool completely, and then buff with a soft cloth. If the smell is in the wax, this process will cook off much of the remaining wax before rewaxing.

image.jpg

Just an hour ago, I boiled a F. Yavuz's meerschaum tamper in water. It is amazing that the smell of sea appeared after cooling. Hence I think it's not the wax who causes the odor. On the contrary it's the wax who block the odor.
By the way, I have put a meerschaum pipe outdoor under the sun for several months but nothing changed.

Most of mine have no odor at all. A couple I can smell a little of the sea funk odor after smoking it if I take a big whiff in the bowl. Have only had the one that was funky enough to smell it when smoking and taste it. It was so funky smelling to at the start that I could smell the funkiness on my clothes after smoking it. Thank goodness none of my other meers have been like that.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
View attachment 1283531
Just an hour ago, I boiled a F. Yavuz's meerschaum tamper in water. It is amazing that the smell of sea appeared after cooling. Hence I think it's not the wax who causes the odor. On the contrary it's the wax who block the odor.
By the way, I have put a meerschaum pipe outdoor under the sun for several months but nothing changed.

Good to know, and thanks for sharing. I appreciate your scientific approach to this!

Latest hypothesis

Hypothesis 1

The odor comes from a new substance produced by the chemical reaction of water and meerschaum at a certain temperature.

Hypothesis 2
The odor comes from a new substance produced by heating the meerschaum at a certain temperature.

These hypothesis are based on the following facts.

FACT 1
There is no odor comes from a brand new meerschaum.
I used to conclude that it's the wax who blocks the odor. It seems to be wrong because the wax never covers the bowl inside where there is no odor before smoking.

FACT 2
There is no odor at all if we use a coloring bowl at the first time and keep using it all the way.
As we know the smoke produced when smoking contains a lot of moisture.

FACT 3
When I boiled a brand new tamper in water, the odor came immediately, which means the odor has nothing to do with smoking.

What is the difference between FACT 2 and FACT 3? It's the temperature. The only issue we have to figure out is whether the sole effect of temperature or the combined effect of temperature and water produced the new substance which diffused the crazy odor.

Now I need an another brand new meerschaum to continue the experiment.

@Ponycarman
@Hirsute
@Kentos
@Sniperx

Latest information
I got 2 bowls today from Strambach, one of them is nature and the other one is man-made, both of them are without wax.
The nature one but not the man-made ome has a subtle smell of sea.
97737B15-0BE0-44A3-A2F4-2F92179CC727.jpeg

Top Bottom