What's new

Fun with Super Glue

I’ve avoided CA for the most part, but I do agree, it’s going to be the best thing to use on wood handles. It’s clearly more waterproof than polyurethane finishes.

I did 3 coats of CA on this brush. Light steel wool after the first 2 and a few micro mesh polishing pads on the last coat.

Only glued my fingers together once!

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Are you using the thin CA ?
I have found that a neurolite glove and my index finger work best for me.
I tried using a soft cloth in the past but the darn thing started smoking, some paper towels do that too.

Are you using the thin CA ?
I have found that a neurolite glove and my index finger work best for me.
I tried using a soft cloth in the past but the darn thing started smoking, some paper towels do that too.

I used Maxi-Cure... which is not thin!

I just ordered the Star Bond last night off amazon... so hopefully that will prove to be a better choice

Thanks for the tip on the glove, I like that idea :)

Plus you don't have to worry about the rag grabbing your fingers into the rotation.

Really nice looking handle, @Bad Badger. You do great work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Normally 4-5, depending on shape and wood, and I use thin glue.
Do you think that I am over doing it
I usually apply 10 to 12 thin coats.
In my head I believe that it adds depth to the grain , like when they spray laquer on show cars
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190918120936997_COVER.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You guys are gonna laugh, but I guess it's a good thing I never bought that lathe. I honestly would never have thought of using gloves with CA!

I'd never have been found, mummified and glued to my lathe for eternity!

You guys are so smart.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Do you think that I am over doing it
I usually apply 10 to 12 thin coats.
In my head I believe that it adds depth to the grain , like when they spray laquer on show cars View attachment 1021633
I really do not like the CA glue finish on brushes, love it on pens. Very often, I do sand it off and start from scratch. My preference for woods is resin stabilized. I also use spray finishes from time to time.

I really do not like the CA glue finish on brushes, love it on pens. Very often, I do sand it off and start from scratch. My preference for woods is resin stabilized. I also use spray finishes from time to time.

Where can you purchase resin stabilized wood blanks?

Thanks

at a variety of turning supply dealers, like Woodturningz

Thanks. I'm not finding many 1.5" stabilized blanks on Woodturningz... maybe there's a trick to searching for them on the site?

I did find this one:

So Rudy, what finish are you applying on these stabilized turnings?

Thanks again

Nice job on those, you’re getting the hang of it. I usually apply CA with a paper towel but you have to be careful, a lot of brands cause the CA to start curing which is why it smokes. I use blue shop towels from Walmart without a problem. There are 2 types, original and glass, I use the original. They’re thicker and great for applying oils & polishes. Some use a glove or small plastic baggies that pen components come it. It all comes down to what method works best for you so you’ll need to experiment a bit.

Stabilized wood polishes to a nice sheen on its own because the cells of the wood are filled with resin. I still use CA to get a gloss finish or fill any voids but it looks pretty good after wetsanding with micromesh then buffing. Unfotunately I’m very allergic to stabilizing resin so I only stabilize burls and keep my exposure to minimum.

Top Bottom