What's new

Fun With Above The Tie (ATT) Razors

Today's shave was with the Windsor SSR plate and the Calypso handle. I used a Dorco Prime Platinum blade(2). With 2 + days growth and having read the recommendation for starting out riding the bar and then angling up a bit until I found the sweet spot that it was time to give the SSR another go.
My wife requested I use a classic scent combination tonight so I pulled out the Arko. I used the Arko for a bit of a preshave wash and then loaded up my Boreal boar brush off the puck and face lathered.
Excellent 2 pass shave, 1st WTG, 2nd XTG with a bit of an angled pass WTG on the neck the second time around.
No Nick's, no weepers and no sting with the Alum block. Finished off with Pinaud Clubman.
The more I use it the more I fall in love with this ATT razor... The journey and the fun continues.
PXL_20211026_201707243.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Last edited:
Look at what you enablers have done. I became a big fan of the aluminum SB90 a few months ago and was content with it. And then I learn that the parts are interchangable! My "ugly" plates arrived today. I was expecting the worst, but the two plates I received today are FAR from ugly. I couldn't wait to try out the copper CR1. Nice smooth mild shave. And it looks killer! Thanks for the ideas.
IMG_20211027_200643544.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Look at what you enablers have done. I became a big fan of the aluminum SB90 a few months ago and was content with it. And then I learn that the parts are interchangable! My "ugly" plates arrived today. I was expecting the worst, but the two plates I received today are FAR from ugly. I couldn't wait to try out the copper CR1. Nice smooth mild shave. And it looks killer! Thanks for the ideas.
View attachment 1353469
Always happy to enable additional RAD experimentation. :)

Reactions: ewk
Another winner tonight as I loaded my (not) "ugly stuff" aluminum open comb baseplate from Above the Tie. This plate steps up the blade feel and efficiency over the copper CR2, and is closer to the performance of the SB90 plate. I am quite happy as blue is my favorite color. Reveling in the post-shave glow of Lilac Vegetal at the moment.
IMG_20211028_200224102.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
As a long time fan of the ATT slants, both SE and DE, I'm brand new to their other DE razors.

I've recently acquired a few.

1635609649477.png

1635609713793.png

1635610065866.png

I purchased the SS SB90; it came with a longer handle, perhaps the Kronos. Then I bought the CM1 baseplate, the CR1 baseplate, the SSH1 baseplate, and an Atlas handle.

Interestingly, the baseplates don't say CM1 but rather CM, etc. I assume that means maybe there will be a CM2, etc.

I previously have used the SB90. Liked it okay but didn't love it. Today I turned to copper.

10-30-21.ATT.CM1.SemogueLE3Band.Shannon'sNIL.640JPG.JPG

This is the SS Windsor Pro cap, the Atlas handle, and the copper CM1 baseplate. Visually I find it very attractive. I'm not an across the board fan of mixed metals, but this gets it.

This razor was visually a love at first sight bit of gear.

The shave was also love at first sight. It's been a very long time since I've immediately enjoyed a razor as much as I enjoyed this one.

Given the small gap and the vendor's description of the razor as mild and a three on their 1-9 aggression chart I was expecting a smooth and mild feeling razor, but perhaps not as smooth and mild feeling as this. Just lovely.

The big surprise was how efficient the razor seems to have been. Since I just shaved I can't know how long lasting the shave will be, but it was a much closer shave than I expected, even in my terribly difficult soul patch area.

I did my usual shave. (I don't generally vary the shave with the various razors.) However, I added a little extra neck lathered pass as my neck felt it could use a bit more. I do not think that was overdoing anything with this "mild" razor.

There's a little blade feel going ATG on my upper lip.

Learning Curve.640.jpg

⬅️There's none of this with this CM1 razor.​
This is a possibility, but I'm in love.➡️
Learning Curve. Initial:Awesome:Flaws..jpg

This razor will not be neglected.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today's shave employed another good, new razor.

1635697460296.png

Not only that but I managed to capture some bats taking the screenshot of today's CR1's gap.

10-31-21.ATT-CR1.Mistura.SS-NIL.640.JPG

Without doing a head to head with the CM1 I'd be hard pressed to say I could tell a ton of difference. Both delivered a smooth, efficient, effective, enjoyable shave. If I were pressed I might say I liked the CM1 better, but the difference, to the degree than I can appreciate it at the moment, after only one shave with each, is minimal.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Today's shave employed another good, new razor.

View attachment 1355372

Not only that but I managed to capture some bats taking the screenshot of today's CR1's gap.

View attachment 1355374

Without doing a head to head with the CM1 I'd be hard pressed to say I could tell a ton of difference. Both delivered a smooth, efficient, effective, enjoyable shave. If I were pressed I might say I liked the CM1 better, but the difference, to the degree than I can appreciate it at the moment, after only one shave with each, is minimal.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Definitely a great razor. I use mine regularly, but can definitely tell the difference between the CM1, CR1,and SSRH plates. All are super smooth while efficiency increases with each. I can get similar end results with all plates, but the shave closeness lasts longer as the plate gap increases. I really have to work with the CM1 to get a close shave.....and that effort becomes less with the CR1 and even less with the SSRH. I use the SSRH most often and really enjoy it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Definitely a great razor. I use mine regularly, but can definitely tell the difference between the CM1, CR1,and SSRH plates. All are super smooth while efficiency increases with each. I can get similar end results with all plates, but the shave closeness lasts longer as the plate gap increases. I really have to work with the CM1 to get a close shave.....and that effort becomes less with the CR1 and even less with the SSRH. I use the SSRH most often and really enjoy it.

Cool. Really good, helpful information for a guy like me new to these razors and intrigued with them, especially the CM1.

The SSRH is not in my arsenal. I have its older and bigger brother, the SSH1.

I've yet to use the SSH1.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Playing catch up again...
Last night's shave was the Windsor SSR plate and the Calypso handle. I used a Dorco Prime Platinum blade(3). Work schedule has not been kind to the shaving schedule... So once again 2+ days growth which the SSR plate mowed through. I used TOBS Eton College shaving cream using my Shave nation mixed badger brush. Looking forward to the ugly copper plates later this week.
PXL_20211101_025152491.jpg

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20211101_201024~2.jpg

Razor: ATT Windsor Pro Aluminum/Copper Mixed Metal CR1
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium
Brush: Heritage Ever-Ready 200 (Maggard 22mm SHD 2-Band Badger)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
20211101_201133~2.jpg

This is a great razor that delivers a consistently superb shave every time! :cool:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today the SSH1 came out to play for the very first time.

SSH1.Rave'sManchurian.WizametSI.SS-NIL.640.JPG

It was coupled with my only non slant DE ATT cap, the Windsor Pro SS cap. The handle is the Atlas.

I like all three of my recently acquired old style ATT Windsor baseplates. (These are the baseplates with the cute little holes instead of a lather rinsing slot.)

ATT.WindsorCaps.WithHoles.11-2-21..640.JPG

The SSH1 is very smooth, highly efficient by any standard, and quite effective. I like it a whole lot.

For more on today's shave and my thoughts on my new ATT baseplates visit my musings here.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Today the SSH1 came out to play for the very first time.

View attachment 1356320

It was coupled with my only non slant DE ATT cap, the Windsor Pro SS cap. The handle is the Atlas.

I like all three of my recently acquired old style ATT Windsor baseplates. (These are the baseplates with the cute little holes instead of a lather rinsing slot.)

View attachment 1356326

The SSH1 is very smooth, highly efficient by any standard, and quite effective. I like it a whole lot.

For more on today's shave and my thoughts on my new ATT baseplates visit my musings here.

Happy shaves,

Jim
As noted above in post #93, @gdawg55 gives the edge to the Windsor plates over the S1. Do you share that take? It is always fun triangulating based on multiple reactions to any products.

Top Bottom