What's new

Fun With Above The Tie (ATT) Razors

In the last month purchases from ATT have been the Colossus handle... The Bamboo Handle ... The synthetic brush.. and their shaving soap....
It would appear that I am skirting the edge of the rabbit hole on this one and the Windsor / Slant that I have been eyeing are probably on the horizon.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210705_211626~2.jpg

Razor: ATT Mixed Metal CH1 Plate/Classic Cap (RazoRock Ti Halo Handle)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey Keyhole (Shavemac 24mm 2-band Silvertip)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's El Dorado

Steep angle. Good synergy and balance with the Ti Halo handle and the ATT head. Shave was really smooth and quite efficient. The ATT CH1 is a pleasure to use and definitely one of my DE Big Dogs. :thumbup:

Superb shave. :cool:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Very nice! I just noticed the thread and pointed it out to a friend who owns the copper plates and the Windsor Pro. I only own the Windsor Pro for now, I got it recently from Greece. ATT wasn't much present in the European Union and importing from the EU also got a bit more difficult with VAT/tax collection aaaaaaand as if this virus and all that would not be enough, the EU now got a brand new tax/customs collection system in July. Let's see how that will turn out.

Outside of acquisition woes I very much like the head design. Usually I go for the clamped down style, but the catch is that I love audible feedback, which is usually killed this way. The Windsor Pro has a nice sound while shaving and is very efficient without being threatening. They might have to get an idea to make their razors stand out a bit more, they have very good head designs and throw in perhaps 1-2 fancy handle designs on top of the very standard type designs they have.

The Windsor is a MUST HAVE razor and for me, a RAD killer!!

Well I will say that the changing of the baseplate lineup caused me a bit of a RAD moment... So..... When the SSR1 went totally unavailable on the ATT website l the search was on😳...
Ordered the SSR1 satin with Calypso handle from Maggard and then ordered the SSM1 and SSH1 plates from ATT..... Gotta wait till next month for SSMR and the SSRH.
🤔Now if they come out with open comb plates for the Windsor I guess those will be added on the list as well.

Well I will say that the changing of the baseplate lineup caused me a bit of a RAD moment... So..... When the SSR1 went totally unavailable on the ATT website l the search was on😳...
Ordered the SSR1 satin with Calypso handle from Maggard and then ordered the SSM1 and SSH1 plates from ATT..... Gotta wait till next month for SSMR and the SSRH.
🤔Now if they come out with open comb plates for the Windsor I guess those will be added on the list as well.

Hope you love it!!

The SSH1 is just perfection for me!
I'm looking forward to the SSRH and any open combs they may release.

We hope to start working on the new Windsor OC this month 😉

My SSRH arrived today just in time for a shave. I have had the Windsor CR1 base and stainless cap (mixed metal) for several months and have enjoyed the smooth, efficient shaves. I decided to try the SSRH to see how it compares. I'm a daily shaver and feel like the stainless H plate would be a bit much for me so when ATT came out with the new "tweener" plates, it peaked my interest. The CR1 does a good job, but I'm always looking for "just a bit more" in the efficiency level while still being able to use the razor daily......so the SSRH looked like a good compromise.

Well, let me tell you, the SSRH provided an excellent shave today. I can sense a little more blade feel, yet the razor is still very smooth. The SSRH is more efficient than the CR1 plate, but feels very similar while shaving. I always judge my razors by how my face/skin feels afterwards (I know some of this depends on soaps, aftershaves, etc) and the SSRH leaves me feeling like I haven't shaved....minus the missing whiskers. My favorite razors make me feel the same.....like I haven't shaved. This is a good sign.

I don't make my final assessment on razors after one use, but the SSRH came out of the gates bringing the heat. I look forward to many more uses. I do feel that the SSRH is a nice step up from the CR1 in efficiency while retaining good comfort. I'm hoping after using it this week it will prove to be a great daily runner.

I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but the SSRH base is proving to be really good. It is more efficient than the CR1 plate while being just as comfortable. I'm getting really good shaves this week with the SSRH....close, comfortable, and absolutely no irritation. My skin feels great afterwards will little to no aftershave sting. Good job ATT......this plate is just right for me.

I had an amazing shave this morning with the ATT Windsor SSR1 (matte) paired with a Nacet blade (4th use). IIRC, this week is the first time I have tried this pairing. No problems, no irritation. BBS on three passes...very little touch-up. I may finally be dialed in with this razor.

20210904_184928-01-01.jpeg
Yesterday's shave: open comb H2-plate attached to the Atlas handle. According to my still emerging experience with this plate the plate requires a very gentle touch and if your technique isn't on par she will let you know without further warning 😉 . The amount of blade feel is not for the faint hearted, maybe by a hair less intense than the one Mühle's R41 provides.

However, the vintage Polsilver tamed the beast. BBS, no nicks.:thumbsup:

Well .. I'm behind by a week on posting on the begining of my adventures with the Windsor. Busy days at work means that this is catch up. So first off the collection as it currently stands.
PXL_20210914_021538897~2.jpg

I started off on September 1st with the SSM with the Calypso handle, a new Astra Platinum blade. Lathered up the ATT shaving soap in the Captain's choice copper bowl using the ATT synthetic brush.
PXL_20210902_015139520.jpgPXL_20210902_020122764.jpg
Since then I have tried the SSM with Fire for Effect shaving soap from Caisson Shaving and also trying the green Proraso shaving cream.
PXL_20210910_005052608.jpgPXL_20210915_234547548~2.jpg
I decided to try the SSR on Monday since I had an extra 2 days of growth and... Managed to bite myself a bit on the first pass, which led to switching back to the SSM for the second pass.
So lesson learned, slight relearning curve with the weight of the Windsor vs my previous razors. That being said I still love it and plan to get the SSM down pat before moving up to the next plate.
The adventure continues!!

Well .. I'm behind by a week on posting on the begining of my adventures with the Windsor. Busy days at work means that this is catch up. So first off the collection as it currently stands.
View attachment 1328844
I started off on September 1st with the SSM with the Calypso handle, a new Astra Platinum blade. Lathered up the ATT shaving soap in the Captain's choice copper bowl using the ATT synthetic brush.
View attachment 1328852View attachment 1328853
Since then I have tried the SSM with Fire for Effect shaving soap from Caisson Shaving and also trying the green Proraso shaving cream.
View attachment 1328854View attachment 1328855
I decided to try the SSR on Monday since I had an extra 2 days of growth and... Managed to bite myself a bit on the first pass, which led to switching back to the SSM for the second pass.
So lesson learned, slight relearning curve with the weight of the Windsor vs my previous razors. That being said I still love it and plan to get the SSM down pat before moving up to the next plate.
The adventure continues!!

Superb ATT collection!!

Top Bottom