What's new

Fun in NOLA

I wouldn't really consider myself a "Brown Leafer," but I got a couple shots at the New Orleans Cigar Factory the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I thought I'd share them with ya'll.

$CAM00703.jpg$CAM00704.jpg$CAM00706.jpg$CAM00708.jpg$CAM00709.jpg

Very very cool. Even if one doesn't enjoy the product they are making, it's easy to appreciate the skill and talent the makers have when you get to watch them.

Very very cool. Even if one doesn't enjoy the product they are making, it's easy to appreciate the skill and talent the makers have when you get to watch them.

They're SOOOO fast! They have a whole assembly line. It's really quite amazing to watch.

They're SOOOO fast! They have a whole assembly line. It's really quite amazing to watch.

i know right! its like knife cut cut roll bundle roll cut cut....and in a blink of an eye theres a cigar where there used to be leafs! So how did you end up there? randomly? or in the area for other stuff?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have a Double Corona sized cigar from the Cigar Factory that a friend brought back for me. I remember putting it in the humidor to acclimate for a while. I should probably check on it now considering that was in 2008.

I have a Double Corona sized cigar from the Cigar Factory that a friend brought back for me. I remember putting it in the humidor to acclimate for a while. I should probably check on it now considering that was in 2008.

might be a good time to smoke it !

In the second picture down, the cigars on the far side of the shelves seem to have ruffles on their ends. What are those? Curious!

i know right! its like knife cut cut roll bundle roll cut cut....and in a blink of an eye theres a cigar where there used to be leafs! So how did you end up there? randomly? or in the area for other stuff?
My F-I-L was in town and always makes a stop there for himself and buddies back in KC.

how long do cigars last? I know less than nothing about tobacco.

In the second picture down, the cigars on the far side of the shelves seem to have ruffles on their ends. What are those? Curious!

It's probably scrap tobacco used as filler/packaging in the box.
Exactly this. Every order there moist tobacco leaves shoved in the box. I think it makes them look pretty classy.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Cigars if properly stored can last indefinitely. There will eventually come a time when they are past their prime, but not for many years out.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I can't say I am impressed with their cigars, though they are not garbage by any means. But it is cool to watch the rollers at work and then step outside smoking one. I would call it a must stop in New Orleans.

We have a hookah salon again. It is on Carrolton, between Canal and Tulane, don't remember the exact crossing street. You can BYOB. They have teas and coffee of course, and there is a short menu of snack food. Proper coals, not those stupid little fizzlepucks.

A plug for my favorite Mexican Restaurant, Taquieria Guerrero, also on Carrolton, like about Bienville. Also you got to check out Angelo Brocatto's ice cream shop like right next door. Across the street is Juicy Lucy's, home of the stuffed hamburger. Try Bud's Broiler for burgers, on City Park, but don't go during lunch or dinner rush. City Park is a great place to picnic. Bring your fishin pole but bring your beer in cans not bottles. Oysters Rockefeller at Landry's by the lake are great, and they do a good softshell crab. Their Bananas Foster is big enough to split 4 ways and is marvelous. The quarter is cool, yeah, but there is life across Rampart or Canal or Esplanade, too. Really you need to check out the quarter in the early afternoon, when the street performers are out in force on Royal or by Jackson Square. Lots of cool music outside the quarter. I like Kermit Ruffin's place on Orleans. The Mother In Law still rocks even though Miss Antoinette passed on a couple of years ago. Lots of good venues in the Marigny and along St. Claude, and there is always Tipitina's. Look for a Gambit in the small delis and groceries, or on Friday get the Times-Picayune for the Lagniappe section. Good reviews and suggestions, generally.

Definitely is a fun place to stop in a watch, but I will have to agree with Slash, I wasn't a big fan of their cigars.

I can't say I am impressed with their cigars, though they are not garbage by any means. But it is cool to watch the rollers at work and then step outside smoking one. I would call it a must stop in New Orleans.

We have a hookah salon again. It is on Carrolton, between Canal and Tulane, don't remember the exact crossing street. You can BYOB. They have teas and coffee of course, and there is a short menu of snack food. Proper coals, not those stupid little fizzlepucks.

A plug for my favorite Mexican Restaurant, Taquieria Guerrero, also on Carrolton, like about Bienville. Also you got to check out Angelo Brocatto's ice cream shop like right next door. Across the street is Juicy Lucy's, home of the stuffed hamburger. Try Bud's Broiler for burgers, on City Park, but don't go during lunch or dinner rush. City Park is a great place to picnic. Bring your fishin pole but bring your beer in cans not bottles. Oysters Rockefeller at Landry's by the lake are great, and they do a good softshell crab. Their Bananas Foster is big enough to split 4 ways and is marvelous. The quarter is cool, yeah, but there is life across Rampart or Canal or Esplanade, too. Really you need to check out the quarter in the early afternoon, when the street performers are out in force on Royal or by Jackson Square. Lots of cool music outside the quarter. I like Kermit Ruffin's place on Orleans. The Mother In Law still rocks even though Miss Antoinette passed on a couple of years ago. Lots of good venues in the Marigny and along St. Claude, and there is always Tipitina's. Look for a Gambit in the small delis and groceries, or on Friday get the Times-Picayune for the Lagniappe section. Good reviews and suggestions, generally.

Slash, The Hookah Cafe is just a block or two away from Angelo Brocatto's! We took my Dad to Brocatto's for dessert after dinner at Vincent's for his birthday. It was actually my first time going. We had a really great time.

I completely agree with you regarding life outside the Quarter. We have such a great town to explore!

I wish I would have gone in there when the wife and I were in NOLA last month. I don't smoke, but it would have been a cool experience nonetheless

I will be in NOLA for Christmas, the first time in almost 18 months I've been "home". :thumbup1:

I've been to the cigar factory, and it is a pretty cool experience. The cigars aren't bad - I picked up a few and laid them down for about 6 months before smoking them. Nothing I'd feel obligated to hoard, but a decent smoke.

how long do cigars last? I know less than nothing about tobacco.

cigars last indefinitely if they are stored correctly. Cigars in general actually get better with age. I've seen cigars from the 80's. I think the oldest thing I have is probably some that i rescued from my dad's office that are from the late 90's.

Top Bottom