What's new

Fun at Flea Market

This past weekend I picked up a few razors. The ones I'm most interested in are a couple of NDC 1940's Super Speeds. Both have notched centerbars, and both have "PACKAGE" fully spelled out on the baseplate. The only difference I can see between them is where the baseplate is attached to the handle. On one, it's slightly raised; on the other, it's pretty much level. That one came with a case, not necessarily original. Based on comparisons to the pictures on Mr. Razor, it appears to me that they're both from 1948-1950. (see the pictures).

CAM00190.jpg
CAM00189.jpg

CAM00197.jpg

Since I was born in 1949, that makes both of them "birth-era" razors.
Is any further range-narrowing possible?

Nice finds you have there...I have a couple of them 48-50 and keep looking for a 47, my birth year. Congratulations, it makes a person happy to go to the flea market and come home with treasure.

There was a thread here on B&B, that showed the different configurations of where the shoulder and baseplate were attached, and what years they were from. I was able to determine that my NDC SS was from early 1950. I can't remember the name of the thread, or even if the images in it made it through the website upgrade a few months ago.

Does anyone know where that thread is?

Nice finds you have there...I have a couple of them 48-50 and keep looking for a 47, my birth year. Congratulations, it makes a person happy to go to the flea market and come home with treasure.

I think you have the same problem I do...getting birth era is easy, but how do you pin it down to a specific year with no date codes.

There was a thread here on B&B, that showed the different configurations of where the shoulder and baseplate were attached, and what years they were from. I was able to determine that my NDC SS was from early 1950. I can't remember the name of the thread, or even if the images in it made it through the website upgrade a few months ago.

Does anyone know where that thread is?

I believe that may have been Achim's Mr. Razor site which is my main source for dating razors. I'm not quite sure but I believe that the second picture I posted is a '49 based on that joint. I was hoping to get confirmation here. If you happen to recall the thread, please let me know.

Any "drop knob" problems? I have two and both have the problem. If I ever find the right gauge wire to fit the compression ring, I'm going to try and use my drill press chuck to apply even pressure to crimp it some more.

Any "drop knob" problems? I have two and both have the problem. If I ever find the right gauge wire to fit the compression ring, I'm going to try and use my drill press chuck to apply even pressure to crimp it some more.
Have you tried this site for a retaining ring?
McMaster-Carr

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I believe that may have been Achim's Mr. Razor site which is my main source for dating razors. I'm not quite sure but I believe that the second picture I posted is a '49 based on that joint. I was hoping to get confirmation here. If you happen to recall the thread, please let me know.
I believe @mgbbrown 's thread has it detailed.

Super Speed Razors: The Post World War II Shaving Culture in America to 1955

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Nope. Both open & close perfectly. As you can see in the photo, they're user grade, not cosmetically perfect, but fully functional.

I believe @mgbbrown 's thread has it detailed.

Super Speed Razors: The Post World War II Shaving Culture in America to 1955

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Found it!! There is a B&B thread titled "NDC Super Speed Date Info", and Mr. Razor compiled some pics from his website at this posting: NDC Super Speed Date Info

This is what I used to determine that the NDC SS I own is from early 1950.

Found it!! There is a B&B thread titled "NDC Super Speed Date Info", and Mr. Razor compiled some pics from his website at this posting: NDC Super Speed Date Info

This is what I used to determine that the NDC SS I own is from early 1950.

To my eye, the second picture I posted looks like a dead ringer for the 1949. Thanks Tipster_621, KeenDogg, and everyone else.

Top Bottom