What's new

Fuller Shave Brush

Anyone know anything about vintage Fuller brushes. I purchased one today for $5 at an antique shop. I haven't heard alot about this company. Not a very good picture of it, I used a crappy camera.

Fuller had an army of door to door salesmen at one point, as I understand. Don't know anything about their shaving brushes, but they were a huge brush mfg in general.

Fuller Brush was door to door and high quality--I still use one of their hair brushes. There was even a Red Skelton Comedy movie made about Fuller Brush Salesman.--Good Buy for you.

mattymatt very generously PIFed me the handle after I whined about the ridiculous prices on eBay. He'd already done the hard work to get the knot out. I just had to clean it up a bit with some Blue Magic polish (amazing stuff, BTW) and drop a knot it. I chose a Whipped Dog black badger (20/65) set at 53mm loft. I thought the black badger colors matched well the light amber and black of the handle. And I needed a fairly stiff/scritchy brush for soaps, as the rest of the stable are very soft.

$P1110068-1.JPG

Pre-bloom

$P1110075.JPG

After a good soaking in OxiClean and a shampoo.

As you can tell from the black portion of the handle, the hole was quite deep. I filled it with three pennies glued together with silicone. The knot was also set in place with silicone.

Thanks, mattymatt for the PIF. The brush will be well-loved/well-used.

Last edited:
mattymatt very generously PIFed me the handle after I whined about the ridiculous prices on eBay. He'd already done the hard work to get the knot out. I just had to clean it up a bit with some Blue Magic polish (amazing stuff, BTW) and drop a knot it. I chose a Whipped Dog black badger (20/65) set at 53mm loft. I thought the black badger colors matched well the light amber and black of the handle. And I needed a fairly stiff/scritchy brush for soaps, as the rest of the stable are very soft.

View attachment 212892

Pre-bloom

View attachment 212893

After a good soaking in OxiClean and a shampoo.

As you can tell from the black portion of the handle, the hole was quite deep. I filled it with three pennies glued together with silicone. The knot was also set in place with silicone.

Thanks, mattymatt for the PIF. The brush will be well-loved/well-used.

Thats a beautiful handle. Nice restore. You are about the only other person that I have heard that uses silicone instead of epoxy. I use RTV silicone and have never had a knot come out and it is is so much easier to work with .

That turned out very well, job well done!! And your right the black badger hair really looks good in it.

Looks great! I am restoring a lucite brush and being very timid with the removal of material inside the brush. Did you repaint the inside of the recess for the knot plug? What type of silicone did you use? I have been partial to Devcon 5 minute epoxy. Thanks!

Seems I have been missing out on some good restoration threads here in the Brush forum...

Last edited:
Looks great! I am restoring a lucite brush and being very timid with the removal of material inside the brush. Did you repaint the inside of the recess for the knot plug? What type of silicone did you use? I have been partial to Devcon 5 minute epoxy. Thanks!

Seems I have been missing out on some good restoration threads here in the Brush forum...

I took the old knot out before I gave it to him. As I was taking it out I scratched some of the black paint off. So I repainted the inside of the hole black. I normally use epoxy when I restore brushes.

Well done! That re-knotted brush is a work of art.

My late ex-father-in-law sold Fuller until the late 80s. He never had any in stock, not that I would have appreciated one.

Fuller Brush was a household name when I was growing up in Brooklyn in the '50s. The salesmen (and they were invariably men) were always ringing our doorbell. I remember them being well-mannered. Nice to see that shaving brush.

Top Bottom