What's new

Fuller Brush Bakelite

I have an old Fuller Brush Bakelite shaving brush, (travel brush maybe).
The only identifiers on the box are No.4 Fuller Brush. Does anyone know
what material the knot is? I'm thinking synthetic, but not sure.

Can you post a picture?
IMG_0200.jpg
IMG_0199.jpg
IMG_0198.jpg
IMG_0197.jpg

Great looking brush!!

My guess is that this is a travel brush with boar bristles dyed to look like badger.

I saw a video on Fuller Brush a while ago and it showed how they used Boar bristle from China (lots of it) but then stopped due to import laws about animal parts or something. You'll note it says "sterilized" on the base which probably indicates a natural source rather than polyester/nylon etc. (you don't typically see "sterilized" on toothbrushes etc. made from synthetics.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Not a synthetic, but as it already was stated, it is a boar. Somehow I have a couple of these holders, but without the brushes.

...You'll note it says "sterilized" on the base which probably indicates a natural source rather than polyester/nylon etc. (you don't typically see "sterilized" on toothbrushes etc. made from synthetics.
That's a legacy of the Anthrax mini-epidemic around WWI.
From The Strange History of Anthrax Cases Tied to Men's Shaving Brushes

"... Old-fashioned shaving tools are getting trendy with younger men these days, but one such tool has an interesting history: Men's shaving brushes made from animal hair were linked with cases of anthrax around the time of World War I, according to a new [C.D.C.] report.

The report describes several hundred cases of anthrax, which occurred from 1915 to 1924, were tied to shaving brushes, mainly among men in the U.S. military. Shaving brushes are small facial brushes that are used to apply shaving cream or soap. They were invented in the 18th century.

In 1921, researchers in New York City tested shaving brushes purchased from street vendors, and they found Bacillus anthracis, the bacteria that causes anthrax, in 78 percent of the brushes, the new report said. ..."
It's especially to blame for the drop in sales of horsehair brushes, even long after they figured out what was going on.

I have an old Fuller Brush Bakelite shaving brush, ...
Nitpick: There is no butterscotch "Bakelite", only black and dark brown. Sometimes with a bit of a fake burl pattern, like my radio here:
proxy.php

The brush handle and holder are more likely "Catalin". It's made by a similar process, and typically a more precious material than Bakelite. Butterscotch Catalin was originally an ivory colour.

How is it for shaving? The knot looks like it's still in pretty good shape.

Top Bottom