What's new

Full (Rubberset 200) House, or is this a Royal Flush?

$100_1497.jpg

My SBAD started with the Rubberset 400's, but while I was finding 3 of those in the wild, I developed an equal fondness for the Rubberset 200 series. The handles on these gems are absolutely comfortable in the hand.

Well, with a little bit of luck, some judicious bidding on d'bay, and the incredible generosity of Jim(BladeShark), I now have a full set of 200-1 through 6, shown above (with 2 dash4's, 1 with a TGN Silvertip and the other original boar). Specifications for the brushes are in this thread.

I find it very interesting that, with the exception of the 200-1, there is very little difference in handle height. There also seems to be a difference in handle material that BladeShark and I have had some offline conversations about. The -3 and -5 were both significantly yellower than the others before sanding (I use the same procedure with these as with the 400's). The -3 was also different inside the handle cavity, with a straight sided hollow core versus inner walls following the outer contours, and a vertical plug inside that hollow core much like how plastic model pieces from 40+ years ago were attached to the parts trees in the kits. We're wondering if there was a material change from celluloid to bakelite somewhere along the way.

Top Bottom