What's new

Full JNAT Nagura Progression on Zulu Grey

Gents,

I have really enjoyed learning and using the JNAT Naguras on JNAT base stones, and I thought to myself…let’s try them on a Zulu Grey!

I am always tinkering and changing things up with these silly rocks trying to chase the most amazing edge.

Thus far I prefer the Nagura progression on a no name no pedigree base stone that I acquired off of eBay for a song!

So I am really looking forward to testing the edge that went through this session! I will post how it went later tomorrow after the test shave.

I will say that using the Zulu Grey with this set of nagura stones felt wonderful during the honing process, just a real delight! In addition, the bevel near the edge looks excellent under the 10x loupe, and the HHT went fabulously (the kind where the hair just sort of springs off of the edge silently) all across the edge.

Vr

Matt

The Set Up
48CBB4FF-675C-4A3F-9D2B-3A9DCF402498.jpeg

Botan Slurry
E454CDB1-775F-4394-9C67-263894F4EA33.jpeg

Tenjyou Slurry
75934CBC-2574-42C9-81D3-8D100FD5759B.jpeg

Mejiro Slurry
673D880C-43EE-4AEE-8B03-C514CC2C0E4E.jpeg

Koma Slurry
697E2B6D-836C-469D-84B9-7DA4833F648F.jpeg

Great pictures. Very helpful to see what consistency of slurry people are using.

Yes…it’s all over the map really…some folks advocate for a whisp/very thin…I put a lot down and it seems to work for me thus far.

I can always add water, and dilute it down if I feel like it’s too much.

Vr

Matt

Well Gents! It is certainly a toss up between the no name JNAT base stone and the Zulu Grey base stone when using the full Nagura progression as far as the resultant shave goes.

I enjoyed the honing process more on the Zulu Grey. It is a slightly larger stone, and the feeling was just special!

During the shave, I did the full three passes, including the the across the grain while moving the razor down on the most difficult spots under my jawline and on my neck. Afterwards I did a 4th pass, straight down…just to see how my face would handle it!

Total squeegee, and no auditory feedback to indicate I missed the wayward bit of stubble.

I suspect that I am onto something here!

Vr

Matt
2F871933-20F0-4B21-96B0-8C2B1291BC15.jpeg
604AAC47-501E-4443-A16A-9822BBECE816.jpeg
5A6DB942-7B3A-4552-BE68-F0978643A77C.jpeg

Hey Matt,

If you would like a second opinion on the shave I will happily let you know how it does after I shave with it. Just send me the razor and I will get back to you.

On second thought why don't you do the same treatment on that Le Grelot 14 of yours and send that one instead, or, as well. Your choice.

:a2:

Hey Matt,

If you would like a second opinion on the shave I will happily let you know how it does after I shave with it. Just send me the razor and I will get back to you.

On second thought why don't you do the same treatment on that Le Grelot 14 of yours and send that one instead, or, as well. Your choice.

:a2:

Bahahahahahah! That is a nice one! Maybe I will redo that edge next!

Here was today’s effort!

I hope you are doing well Adam!

Vr

Matt
CCD4BD7F-0E7B-46A2-98B2-21183C13EE4B.jpeg
432F14A5-117B-498B-B449-2CC333AF7CE6.jpeg

It’s too bad the guy who cut and sold those ripped off so many razor aficionados a year or two back. Would be nice to have more currently mined hones around. I had actually bought one of his largest hones at his Christmas special that year he stole so many folks money…..but luckily was able to get my money back via PayPal with only days before it was too late. Many were not as lucky. Sure put a bad taste in my mouth about any “Zulu grey” sadly.

It’s too bad the guy who cut and sold those ripped off so many razor aficionados a year or two back. Would be nice to have more currently mined hones around. I had actually bought one of his largest hones at his Christmas special that year he stole so many folks money…..but luckily was able to get my money back via PayPal with only days before it was too late. Many were not as lucky. Sure put a bad taste in my mouth about any “Zulu grey” sadly.

Yes, I was afraid this might come up, but since the ZG hones are out there, I figured I would share my experience with this little experiment in case anyone else wanted to try it.

There are two possibilities in your situation:

1. As you postulate, a trusted and established member of the shaving community all of a sudden, after years of reputably selling his Zulu Grey hones, suddenly and inexplicably decided to become a thief…and rip off many many folks by offering a Black Friday Sale, accepting payments, and then intentionally vanishing without fulfilling any of the orders.

or

2. Something terrible happened to Mike, such as death, which caused him to suddenly drop of the planet leaving correspondence unanswered, and many orders unfulfilled.

I have seen no proof either way, and I refrain from jumping to conclusions and making accusations. I am uneducated in the circumstances of Mike’s disappearance, and his business going defunct. I also like to assume noble intent, look at a person’s track record, and give people the benefit of the doubt when I am able to do so.

I will relate my experience though…I emailed Mike, the ZG proprietor in early OCT of 2019 regarding a full size Silkvein hone…we chatted, and he offered me a few other natural hones that he had been working on so that I could have a full natural South African progression.

I agreed to buy them, paid via friends and family, all of the hones arrived in December of 2019 in great shape. They were all very fun to use, learn, and tinker around with. I still have them in my little collection.

As I said, I can only speak to my experience, and I am sorry that your experience was not as positive as the one that I had with the proprietor of Zulu Grey, and his products.

Vr

Matt

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Inspired by Jamie’s @Mr Bedlington Rigrazor rattler, I’ve gotten out some razors and stones that undeservedly just haven’t been getting enough love. This razor is a Gelle Frères rattler, almost identical to the Gauthier and probably the same blank. It still has some mild ‘complexion’ issues but it is a fine piece of steel nonetheless. The stone is an oddly shaped piece of Nakayama kiita that someone thought enough of to make a fitted base for, which was no easy task given the irregular shape.

8AA579FB-ED5E-478D-853B-91CF9334A6F4.jpeg

Inspired by Jamie’s @Mr Bedlington Rigrazor rattler, I’ve gotten out some razors and stones that undeservedly just haven’t been getting enough love. This razor is a Gelle Frères rattler, almost identical to the Gauthier and probably the same blank. It still has some mild ‘complexion’ issues but it is a fine piece of steel nonetheless. The stone is an oddly shaped piece of Nakayama kiita that someone thought enough of to make a fitted base for, which was no easy task given the irregular shape.

View attachment 1306389

Nice looking stone and tomo Steve! My ZG hadn’t gotten any love for quite awhile. I sure am glad I tried it with the Naguras!

Vr

Matt

I thought that you might of, but didn’t say anything because the ZG and your JNAT above had both been neglected!

It is great to try new things, and circle back to old stones!

Vr

Matt

Top Bottom