What's new

Fujifilm X20, X-Pro 1, X100s

I'm thinking of selling my Nikon D40 with 3 lenses and downsizing to a mirrorless camera. Does anyone have experience with one of the cameras mentioned above? thoughts, advice?

I think Legion has been using several of the Fuji offerings lately and has nothing but praise. All I can add is :drool:

If you are versed in a DSLR you will be more so in one of the Fuji cameras. All you have to worry about is which mode you're shooting in - or just forget about and shoot in P, A, or aperture mode. Those are fine cameras in the likes of a Leica - now that's something to drool for.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the next generation of these cameras. The X30 is expected this fall and the X-Pro 2 should be out in the winter. Not sure if I have the patience for the X-Pro 2 release or just go ahead and buy the X30 this fall.

I really want a X100, but they are mighty expensive and I'm saving for fancy macro lens for my Nikon FX first.

Hi Mike. I'm a photojournalist, and I haven't shot Nikon for a while, but use all top-level Canon stuff. The Nikon stuff isn't all that different. Recently, I purchased a X-Pro 1, 35m and the 18-55 zoom for personal use. It's quite a nice little camera. The sensor doesn't compare to my 1DX, but it is REALLY nice. I don't care much for the 35m lens, but the zoom is nice. I'm holding out for a 35m equivalent lens, and I look forward to upgrading the body.

Last year, I went to China for work and got pretty tired of carrying two 5dmark2 cameras around, along with a bunch of lenses, flashes and computer stuff. This spring, I went more as a tourist and just took my Fuji and two lenses. It was wonderful. I have to work quite a lot differently with the Fuji stuff, but it's still fun. And I still get some nice pictures. They are so light compared to my pro gear. That being said, there were a few times when I couldn't operate the camera fast enough to get the picture in my head. I believe that part of that is the limitations of the camera, and part of that is my limitations and not being used to the camera.

If you like a lot of long lens work, this camera system is not for you. I'm happy to answer any questions you have.
Best,
Matt
http://www.mattmillerphoto.com

Legion

Staff member
I have an x-e1 with the 35mm, and I have used all the other fuji offerings. I am now a major fanboy. The sensors are fantastic, and so are the lenses. Plus fuji's commitment to looking after their customers with constant improvements in performance, coming via free firmware updates for the cameras we have already bought, rather than updating the camera model and forcing you to buy a new body like Nikon and Canon do, they are at the top of their game right now.

At this point I am considering selling off my SLR stuff, and just buying more fuji lenses. Which would be a big deal for me.

Legion

Staff member
Fuji have several "film" settings, which roughly equate to colour and saturation of their old film lineup. I tend to jump around, depending on the subject, but for street and interiors I like provia. Outdoors I find it over saturates the blue skies, but it is a YMMV. It is an easy way to visualise what the pic will come out like, especially if you have experience with their films.

Fuji have several "film" settings, which roughly equate to colour and saturation of their old film lineup. I tend to jump around, depending on the subject, but for street and interiors I like provia. Outdoors I find it over saturates the blue skies, but it is a YMMV. It is an easy way to visualise what the pic will come out like, especially if you have experience with their films.

Yes, some of the film simulations are far from accurate: Velvia is garish, Astia tends toward pastel, but I love them. I find the Pro Negative Hi setting to be the most accurate for 'real world' colors. Of course one can shoot in Raw and do post-processing, but I try to minimize that. I get very usable/printable JPEGs straight from the X-E1. Great camera.

From what I've researched it seems that Fuji has yet to make a camera that will AEB anything more than +/- 1 EV. Am I mistaken, or are the Fujis limited in this aspect?

Legion

Staff member
Dunno. Never AEB'd in my life. :lol:

Seriously, the light meter in them is pretty good. And any slight variations can be made to the raw file, if you shoot raw.

We have a ton invested in Canon glass so we are not moving from that format but for personal use I've tried a few different systems. Point and shoot never really worked for me and I always ended up selling them in search of something better. I tried both a X100 and a X pro 1 and although I did like the sensors and the images they produced I found faults I couldn't live with. Mainly, the focus speed and shutter lag. That frustration led to selling those two off.

When Olympus introduced the OM-D EM-5 I was interested. Could this be the answer. Well after almost a year now I can say that I finally found what I consider to be a very good alternative system. Start up is fast, shutter lag is certainly acceptable and the focus speed is lightning fast. I was a little concerned about the small sensor compared to our full frame bodies but I can say I'm really impressed with the results both in RAW and Jpeg. Depth of Field control is a little tough but they keep bringing out new faster lenses that really work. I've tended to lean towards the Panasonic Lenses, the 12-24 is great and just now testing the 35-100.

So far, noise hasn't been a problem.

Worth checking out and the lens line up is constantly growing.

Legion

Staff member
The OM-D is a very nice camera, and you are right, the auto focus is extremely fast. Also, check out the new EP5. But they are a different camera aimed at a different market. The Olympus and Panasonics are definitely aimed at guys using modern SLR's, and who want lots of features, and speed that rivals what they are already use to, in a smaller package. Those things have all the bells and whistles.

The Fuji X cameras are aimed at the Leica/Contax/Hasselblad camp, who are use to a slightly slower pace, but who value image quality above all else. To the point where fuji make their own M mount adaptor for the X cameras. They made no bones about whose customers they were trying to steal with these rigs. Are they an idea camera for sports or wildlife photography? No, not really. But they do what they do very well. And with the latest firmwear the speeds have been significantly improved. I've never missed a shot with mine because it didn't focus in time. But I bought it to replace my M Leicas, and they focus WAY slower :001_tongu, all af is a luxury to me.

I had a panasonic GF1 when M43 sensors just came out, it was very nice for its size. I still have it actually, I kept it with the 20mm f1.7, which is perfect. However I have also upgraded to the X-E1 with 35mm and 18-55 zoom and I can only say that the quality is stunning. I couldn't ask for a better package. I'd say the only downside is the focus time, but its still not too much of a problem and Fuji has improved it greatly with firmware updates.

I'm thinking about the same thing. I have a Canon 5D (the original) with some lovely lenses, but the package is so big that I often don't take it with me.

Ideally I would want to go back to a simple range finder with a 40 ~ 45mm lens, and good quality. Something I can keep for years without feeling the need to upgrade.

Apart from the size, the image quality and possibilities of my 5D are still more than enough for me ... I just want the same (including a quality viewfinder) in a small package.

One trick feature of the x100s (don't know about the others) is flash sync speed of 1/2000! You can now compete with daylight for flash photos when doing portraiture. No more waiting for golden hour or lookin for shade and a suitable background to sync at 1/250 or less. Adjust your exposure, lock it in apeture mode and allow it to track falling light with shutter speed.

-Xander

Top Bottom