What's new

Fry & Co Beard Wax Kit

Hello Gents. I wanted an opinion on those familiar with the brand in the title as I saw it at my local Marshall's and I was wondering if it'll be good enough for my goatee as it's sold with two wax containers, sandalwood and unscented, and one beard balm (beard is too patchy so I got a mustache that reaches down to the corners of my lips and just decent amount of chin hair to call a goatee). I was thinking on getting a wax so I can keep my hair controlled and maybe their beard balm to keep it well so I can see if it'll grow out more. I have bears oil so do I need the balm?

I am not familiar with the brand. I use beard oil to maintain the skin and keep beard dandruff at bay. I use beard balms/butters to feed the beard hairs and add a bit of control to the beard. I use Moustache wax to train/style a handlebar ‘stache. IMHO, I would avoid wax on the beard unless balms/butters don’t give you the control you need.

I am not familiar with the brand. I use beard oil to maintain the skin and keep beard dandruff at bay. I use beard balms/butters to feed the beard hairs and add a bit of control to the beard. I use Moustache wax to train/style a handlebar ‘stache. IMHO, I would avoid wax on the beard unless balms/butters don’t give you the control you need.
Interesting! Can you tell me why you believe so? Also? I have course thick hair so what's a good brand, unless I can just go to one at my local Marshall's?

Interesting! Can you tell me why you believe so? Also? I have course thick hair so what's a good brand, unless I can just go to one at my local Marshall's?

IME:

- Oil conditions the skin and prevents dandruff.

- For my beard, a good beard balm, which may have a small amount of wax in it, both conditions the hair and provides enough hold to tame the fly away hairs while still appearing natural.

- A higher wax content, such as found in beard waxes, will hold better, but is harder to remove from the beard and if deformed by contact, may stay in the deformed state until groomed.

For my beard, the only part that I want a wax-strength hold is the moustache. I use Fireman's wax in the "light" color as my beard is mostly white. If I am having a lazy day, I may use a spiking gel for styling of the 'stache. That will hold it in place, but it feels like concrete until you wash it out - which is far easier than removing wax.

IME:

- Oil conditions the skin and prevents dandruff.

- For my beard, a good beard balm, which may have a small amount of wax in it, both conditions the hair and provides enough hold to tame the fly away hairs while still appearing natural.

- A higher wax content, such as found in beard waxes, will hold better, but is harder to remove from the beard and if deformed by contact, may stay in the deformed state until groomed.

For my beard, the only part that I want a wax-strength hold is the moustache. I use Fireman's wax in the "light" color as my beard is mostly white. If I am having a lazy day, I may use a spiking gel for styling of the 'stache. That will hold it in place, but it feels like concrete until you wash it out - which is far easier than removing wax.
Oh wow I see. I have course black hair, my moustache is already getting in the corners of my mouth and instead of correctly training I wanna maintain it and my goatee (hopefully have it grow more somehow). I'll look into a beard balm.

First one is older.

Goatee Look.jpg
15797905021488500709232309333099.jpg

If you buy the beard kit, you could try a combination of products to find the right match. As @Shutterbug57 mentioned, oil is great for the skin and softens the hairs, while the balm provides hold and also nourishes and conditions your beard. If the balm isn't enough to tame your beard, then you can try a balm and wax combo.

I also have coarse hair which has gone all white, so it's kind of wiry. Back in the day, I just used a balm. But now, my routine involves massaging some oil into both my beard and the skin underneath. Then, I scoop a nickel-sized blob of balm, rub it between my fingertips until it liquefies, then work it into my beard, starting at the roots and working down. Note: Balm and wax aren't meant to touch your skin.

Then, once my beard is nicely oiled and balmed, I use a beard comb to style it.

A couple times per week, I also use a beard wash (Proraso Single Blade in "Wood & Spice"). Not only does it refresh your skin, condition the hairs, and leave you smelling nice, but it ensures that your pores and hairs aren't clogged up with an accumulation of oil/balm/wax. Especially important if your balm or wax contains petroleum jelly or other artificial ingredients.

I highly recommend High West Beard products. I have pretty sensitive skin and a lot of beard oils and balms made me itch, but High West stuff doesn’t. I usually use oil every day to condition my beard and prevent “beardruff” and rub some balm through it when I need my beard to look neat.

In answer to your original question, I’ve not heard of that particular brand.

Here is this morning’s post groom shot. Oil on face, balm on beard and spiking gel in Moustache.

Attachments

• A647992A-E6B4-4EAD-ADD0-94E210E593B5.jpeg
    A647992A-E6B4-4EAD-ADD0-94E210E593B5.jpeg
    867 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom