What's new

Frustrating GEM score

I think I broke my damaskeene. :blushing:
I was putting up a new shelf today to hold my shaving gear as the mrs takes over 99.9% of the bathroom and I need some space for my *ADs.
While drilling into the wall the vibrations made my damaskeene fall onto the floor.
When I picked it up I heard it rattle :ohmy:
I checked it over and found the rentention spring loose, ie not sitting hard against the cap when no blade is in there.
It has some spring pressure and can hold a blade secured, but it's not tensioned strongly like all my other 1912s are without a blade.
Nothing appears broken, and it's not missing anything compared to the other 1912s.
Maybe it's always been loose, but I don't think so as I've never heard it rattle before.
But did the damaskeene have anything extra in there like a pin or something that later models didn't have? Maybe something has fallen out when it was dropped? :frown:

edit: It doesn't ike the pic BatNastard posted above in post #22, ie the large gap between the spring and the cap with no blade. It's not that bad as nothing is broken. The tab just has a lot of movement up and down, so it can rattle against the cap. It has spring pressure to hold a blade securely and keep the cap closed though

Last edited:
That seems to be part of the battle with buying used razors. While most end up very usable, some end up being nothing more that show pieces. I've found some that I thought I could clean, but ended up being worse than I thought once I got into it. Hope you come across an easy solution to your issues.

I think I broke my damaskeene. :blushing:
I was putting up a new shelf today to hold my shaving gear as the mrs takes over 99.9% of the bathroom and I need some space for my *ADs.
While drilling into the wall the vibrations made my damaskeene fall onto the floor.
When I picked it up I heard it rattle :ohmy:
I checked it over and found the rentention spring loose, ie not sitting hard against the cap when no blade is in there.
It has some spring pressure and can hold a blade secured, but it's not tensioned strongly like all my other 1912s are without a blade.
Nothing appears broken, and it's not missing anything compared to the other 1912s.
Maybe it's always been loose, but I don't think so as I've never heard it rattle before.
But did the damaskeene have anything extra in there like a pin or something that later models didn't have? Maybe something has fallen out when it was dropped? :frown:

edit: It doesn't ike the pic BatNastard posted above in post #22, ie the large gap between the spring and the cap with no blade. It's not that bad as nothing is broken. The tab just has a lot of movement up and down, so it can rattle against the cap. It has spring pressure to hold a blade securely and keep the cap closed though

sounds still useable. it can be loose up to a point and still be used actually.

It doesn't ike the pic BatNastard posted above in post #22, ie the large gap between the spring and the cap with no blade.

Both razors in the pic in #22 have blades. I'm convinced upon closer inspection that my damaskeene is supposed to have "wing tabs" under the hinge area, like a shelf for the hinges to push against. You can see them in the 1912 behind the damaskeene. It looks like mine were trimmed off for some reason.

I shaved with both today (one pass for each and a tiebreaker) and it wasn't the greatest. I think I need to be more aggressive with the angle. I'll try it for the week.

FWIW, my Damaskene does have the wing tabs.

The good news is that with the blade positioning hooks intact and the spring pressing the blade against them, the clamping force of the lid is relatively unimportant. I think your hair tie should do the trick.

- Chris

Top Bottom