What's new

Fruity February

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Nice travel setup... I'm still working on my Excelsior tub, but the bottom of the tib is already visable...

Do you prefer Excelsior or do you like Omnibus better?

Cheers!
Thanks. I travel extensively, so I pretty much have a dedicated kit and rotate in various things.

i dont understand why B&M did not keep the Excelsior base when they made Omnibus. We will never know. But I think they fill very different roles. The Excelsior is a traditional lather that is very thick and cushiony. Somewhat foamy. Very easy to lather. Its the type of lather that you want to see in those lathered up brush posts. Thick and rich. It works great.

Omnibus is thick and gloopy, and not foamy at all. It has incredible face feel. The post shave moisturization is great. I hear people calling it a "high definition" lather. Not sure that is a term we can all relate to. But I do like Omnibus much better. If I had to pick one, omnibus. But I am glad to have a good stash of all their bases.

Thanks. I travel extensively, so I pretty much have a dedicated kit and rotate in various things.

i dont understand why B&M did not keep the Excelsior base when they made Omnibus. We will never know. But I think they fill very different roles. The Excelsior is a traditional lather that is very thick and cushiony. Somewhat foamy. Very easy to lather. Its the type of lather that you want to see in those lathered up brush posts. Thick and rich. It works great.

Omnibus is thick and gloopy, and not foamy at all. It has incredible face feel. The post shave moisturization is great. I hear people calling it a "high definition" lather. Not sure that is a term we can all relate to. But I do like Omnibus much better. If I had to pick one, omnibus. But I am glad to have a good stash of all their bases.
Thanks, Brad, for pointing out the differences...!

I have one full tub left of Nordost in each of the two bases. I'm really looking forward to exploring Nordost in Omnibus... 👌

Furthermore I hope B&M brings back Nordost again, it has such a nice scent...

Cheers!

Gravefruit II? Yes please. 👍 Excellent grapefruity scent and amazing performance.

A little citrus in the Noir Extreme as well…

F05E9705-A98A-4B16-896D-B3D3CDE1E713.jpeg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
One Blade in Fruity February
Tech Tuesday
Daily Double

Razor:
Ontario Cutlery
Razor: 1947 Flat Bottom Tech
Blade: Gillette Platinum (8)
Brush: Omega 622 Silvertip
Soap: The Wanderer
ASL: Pinaud Classic Vanilla
20230214_194643.jpg

Great shave tonight.
I used the Ontario Cutlery for a couple of WTG and XTG passes on my face, then finished up with three more passes on my neck and face with my 1947 FBT.
WTG, ATG, then WTG to finish up, lathering up in between each pass.
The Ontario Cutlery left some stubble on my face for my FBT, but it was comfortable and gentle on my skin.
The 1947 Tech is such a pleasure to use, there is no wonder it keeps popping up in my regular rotation. Comfortable and efficient, it is the Top Tech of all my techs.
The Witch hazel felt smooth, the Classic Vanilla had nary a sting, and the Nivea balm finished up a superb shave.

Have a Great Shave

~doug~

Fruity February continues - time for some shaves with Mühle's sea buckthorn shaving cream / splash!

20230215_153021.jpeg

A wonderful fresh start into the day with this unique smelling shaving cream... and this shave turned out to be just as good as the last ones with this excellent slant razor. Two quick passes, a quick check, and then some final touchups made for another effortless BBS shave. The PermaSharp shines in this razor. No stinging from the alcohol based AS splash. Pretty! 💯

Happy fruity Wednesday, Gentlemen!

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Another One Blade In Fruity February

Last night’s luxury shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb + plastic RIGS shim
Personna GEM PTFE (6)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
AP ShaveCo Silksmoke 28mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: Glycerin soap face wash with AP ShaveCo Cashmere and a dollop of aloe vera
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: hot shower
Post-shave: Mentholated Equate moisturizer

Remembered the aloe vera. Last night’s hijinks was shaving my entire face with my non-dominant hand instead of just one side of face and neck. Concentrated on avoiding indenting my skin with the cap of the razor while making long, flowing strokes. Still managed a few weepers in my left sideburn area ( #Skillz ), but otherwise had a close, comfortable shave.

I've never tried the Excelsior base but thanks for the nice comparison.

Tallow Tabac Tuesday! (a day late)
Still In GRUME, GRUYERE, SWS, 365 Shaves, Fruity February & OBIF

PXL_20230215_001537036.jpg

RR Hawk
Feather DX
Feather AC Pro #3 and #15
B&B Shavemac Beagle
TOBS Grapefruit
Tabac Original

In a cute card yesterday Kathy said

" Love me more than "shaving".
I hope our day is not "boaring"!
I know it's natural and not "synthetic".
and I promise not to "badger" you today.
you will always be my DFH (Damn Fine Husband)..."

❤️🥂 to a special wife. She is a DFW.

Tuesday I forgot the Tallow Tabac gang, so I am pulling a 'Guido Scheme' (@JAHE) to continue my fellowship. I added a few swirls of Tabac to my TOBS cream. :cool:;)😁.
The first pass with the Hawk (using the newer blade) was easy peasy. The DX was mostly for touch ups and a DFS finish.
Please take care of yourself and each other.

20230215_155254-01.jpeg

For today's shave I added the Stirling pre shave Orange oil to my pre-shave routine...

20230216_113645-01.jpeg

I'm not totally convinced using the oil added a substantial advantage to my shave, but the scent is so pure and seductive it was worth it for this reason alone. I'll experiment further... 😎

Overall, today I had a beauty of a fruity shave 😀💯👍

Cheers!

thombrogan

Another One Blade In Fruity February

Last night’s luxury shave
Personna GEM PTFE (7)
AP ShaveCo G5A 24mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: Glycerin soap face wash with AP ShaveCo Cashmere and a dollop of aloe vera

I didn’t use light pressure like originally planned in the morning before the shave. A little scraping on my neck and the promise of ingrowns awaiting my next shave. Noice! The Micromatic razors can benefit from a little extra pressure, but the line between just right and way too much is so fine I can’t afford the microscope needed to see it. Nor the transplant of falcon corneas.

Finding I could use the GEM format and the razors that love it forever, except once I say that, the yearning to switch to AC, DE, and Injector blades skyrockets.

The AP ShaveCo G5A knot stood out after a few uses of their Silksmoke and Titanium UHD knots. It really feels the most badger-like and most definitely not a badger of the brushes I’ve used. It doesn’t easily make my preferred lather (which alternates between runny mess and slightly poisoned water), but that’s probably because I insisted the loft be set short as possible and the lather’s still much better than I’ll ever deserve. Totally decadent enjoyment from using it to face lather.

Still In GRUME, GRUYERE, SWS, 365 Shaves, Fruity February & OBIF..

RR Hawk
Feather DX
Feather Artist Club blades #16 and #4
Simpson T3
TOBS Grapefruit cream

Greetings
I was surprises by today's shave.
I was ready to give up on blade #16 on day 10-12. I thought the blade was done.
I have learned that TOBS Grapefruit needs a lot of hydration to be super slick. Today it was super slick.
The first pass with the Hawk (and blade usage #4) was easy and effective. The next 1.5 passes with the DX (blade usage #16) was surprisingly smooth and led to a DFS++ finish...and no irritation.

Both blades were palm and towel stropped. A mixture of balm and hyaluronic acid gave me a great start for a new day.
I am beginning to think like LJ, @LJBraaten, how far can blade #16 go?...210+?...definitely no way.
PXL_20230215_172401868.jpg

Please take care of yourself and each other.

SOTD February 16th
GRUME February 2023
Fruity February

Hello friends!

Today's shave took me straight back to the 80's. Mountain Man's black currant aroma reminds me of desserts topped with the wonderful crème de cassis. For this time travel I took my friend Chet with the album that possibly I listened to the most in my life…

Have a happy day and great shave!
❤️ 🪒

BA2995DD-1F62-4C06-A261-8EEDA969235F.jpeg
53BB8053-CF9E-48CE-8DE0-6C8BC59139B0.jpeg

thombrogan

Another Other One Blade In Fruity February

Last night’s decadent shave
Personna GEM PTFE (1)
AP ShaveCo Titanium UHD 28mm synthetic brush

A very light touch and a fresh blade let me have a gentle shave. Was somehow less than light on both smile lines and got a teeny tiny weeper on each one and some more on my upper lip. A second pass on the neck removed most of the ingrowns I caused the shave before, but I would’ve needed more pressure and restarted the curlbacks/ingrowns cycle.

Have learned I don’t yet shave gentle enough to extend the life of most blades.

Still in GRUME, GRUYERE, SWS, 365 Shaves, Fruity February & OBIF

PXL_20230213_180724679.jpg
Feather DX
RR Hawk
Feather AC blades (#5 & 17)
Semogue 830
TOBS Grapefruit

Let me explain why I am using two blades and two razors. In the One Blade in February group (OBIF), the challenge is to try to use the same blade for the month. I am technically using blade #17 daily but it has not been very effective since day 10. This is actually a challenging and learning opportunity to improve my skills, adapt to the blade and gain experience with a straight edge.

LJ, @LJBraaten - glad for the heads up on arm stropping with the blades in the razors. That worked good in the DX straight edge and I flipped the blade in the Hawk in order to strop both sides.

For the 1st and 2nd pass I put the #5 blade in the DX and #17 in the Hawk for the touch-ups. Based on my limited experience, a straight razor is less forgiving than a traditional DE or SE razor with a duller blade. It may also be an issue of limited experience with a SR.

To sum things up, I got very good results - near BBS with a few DFS areas on my neck.
Tomorrow is Semogue Saturday and I am going to take a temporary break in the SWS group to use a different fruity soap every day for a week.

Please take care of yourself...and each other.

thombrogan

Another Other One Blade In Fruity February

Last night’s decadent shave
Personna GEM PTFE (2)
AP ShaveCo Titanium UHD 28mm synthetic brush

Stayed up too late. Used more soap in pre-shave face wash than expected. Rinsed it off, added aloe, and lathered up.

Very light touch and paid what I thought was extra attention, but still got teeny red dot on right smile line and felt some stubble on neck. Wondered how slightly steeper would feel with a shimmed Micromatic. Felt just as gentle as the shallower angle (not usually the case without the shim — Çok Yaşa @Ron R ! ), but cut stubble better and was more forgiving to my skin.

The Wıckhams 1912 Club Cola is smelling less like a cola poisoned with lLemon Pledge and more like a lemony cola. Or maybe I’m developing Stockholm syndrome.

Top Bottom