What's new

Fruity February

Fruity February brings Messner Tremonia's Wild Orange into play.
๐ŸŠ๐Ÿซ’๐ŸŠ

20230224_160211-01-01.jpeg

I didn't enjoy the hard puck variant of this soap (I couldn't get any decent lather out of it no matter what I was trying), but the good news is the pasty cream of "Wild Orange" works way better in terms of lathering properties.

Unfortunately the Semogue boar pictured ate the lather quite a bit today, so the lather wasnโ€™t optimal today.
I might try one of my synthetic brushes tomorrow, that might even be a better option for this cream...

As per the scent, it is rather unique. Imagine a tart, non-sweet and crisp, "dirty" orange/cubebe, prominent citrussy scent. Very nice! ๐Ÿ‘

Have a great weekend.
ย 
Semogue Saturdays!
Still In GRUME, GRUYERE, 365 Shaves, Fruity February & OBIF

PXL_20230224_050806199.jpg

RR Hawk and Feather AC (25), Semogue 830 & Cello Crema Da Barba

The ending first - what an enjoyable experience to splash lots of cold water after an excellent shave and apply a combination of soothing moisturizers to start the day!
The Cella soap is top tier in my opinion and brings up the imagery of eating chocolate covered cherries. The blade is still doing good - my skills and technique must have improved during the month because I am still getting DFS+ results without irritation.
Tomorrow is Synthetic Sundays!!!

Please take care of yourself...and each other.
ย 
SOTD February 25h
GRUME February
Fruity February
Semogue Saturdays

Hello friends!

Today I had probably the last shave of the month. A wonder, that only R41 can give me. Don Byas was with me on this journey, playing Laura (name of one of my daughters). A masterpiece!

I really appreciate the opportunity to be with you in February, it was a real pleasure. Wait for the next oneโ€ฆ

Have a nice weekend and great shave!
โค๏ธ ๐Ÿช’

4C77B324-E59C-45F0-B86D-ED1287E78716.jpeg

CE596A26-25D4-46E6-BE27-D6C17438D58B.jpeg
ย 
Synthetic Sundays!!!

PXL_20230225_150453174.MP.jpg

RR Hawk, Feather AC blade (26) Castle Forbes Lime and A & P Cashmere brush

I live inland and seldom see the ocean so here is a sunrise scene on my monitor as a backdrop.
I am a hills kinda guy but right now, the ocean waves, hypnotic sound and a steady breeze would be nice.

I seldom use this brush but what the heck, it's Synthetic Sunday for me.
The lime scent stayed throughout the shave. This blade is still giving a DFS finish.

Please take care of yourself... and each other.
ย 

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Another Other Other One Blade In Fruity February

Last nightโ€™s decadent shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (2)
Damp washcloth aka โ€œshave binkyโ€
AP ShaveCo Cashmere 30mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: Glycerin soap face wash with AP ShaveCo Cashmere and a dollop of aloe vera
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, face-lathered
Post-shave: Mentholated Equate moisturizer

Even less weepers this time, but some very teeny tiny dots of failure presented above and below my lips. Still too much pressure in my so-called โ€˜no-pressureโ€™ touch. One pass plus just some touch up under my chin and the left side of my jawline and I was close enough for the win! Managed to shave a little faster with the fresh blade, too.
ย 
AC4C7B7F-4962-4E5F-92AC-64C305B07488.jpeg
7AD364DA-E1D4-47CC-BE1C-D1126C7F3A7E.jpeg

Pre: Topsy Blends Gold & Glow Raw Honey Cleanser Foaming Face Wash

Razor: Wade & Butcher
Razor: Aylsworth Drakkant
Blade: Gillette Platinum

Soap: The Holy Black Tangerine Creeper
Brush: Yaqi Black & White
Bowl: Bluff Cove Pottery

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w/ Dry Dock System
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Pinaud Citrus Musk EdC

Keeping with Fruity February I was excited to try some of The Holy Black Tangerine Creeper. This stuff is without a doubt top-notch software. The Tangerine essential oil in this stiff is added at low temps to ensure it doesn't off-gas into the atmosphere while they're making it. Tangerine hydrosol is also added instead of the water they typically use in their soaps.

I used a normal, moderate amount of soap but this stuff really blows up. No joke. A little goes a long way, so if you're considering picking some up keep in mind that you don't need much to get a full shave's worth of lather.

In case you didn't pick up on it, the "Creeper" in the name is for the added Koolada in the soap. It adds a nice cooling effect that as the name implies, creeps up on you. I enjoyed it even though the weather this time of year doesn't really call for it.

I started my shave with the W&B then finished up with the Drakkant. Both performed in superb fashion. I have no complaints.

After earning a bbs face I splashed on some Pinaud Citrus Musk EdC and called it a wrap.

Thanks for reading. Have a great Sunday and enjoy your shaves.
ย 
Last edited:
The last two days Iโ€™ve had a fruity prep and lather. I opened a bar of Lemon Lavender soap (which also had olive in it, a fruit) that our daughter gave us for Christmas. Used it for prep. Today the soap was so slick, it reminded that I used to shave only with soap (and inspired by a recent post by John @tjsgarden), so I did my first pass with soap only. It worked well. Didnโ€™t need as many lathers (passes) with my Mikeโ€™s Lime. In the end I had a lemon lime DFS+!
ย 

thombrogan

Last nightโ€™s luxury shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb + plastic RIGS shim
Personna GEM PTFE (3)
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Pre-shave: Glycerin soap face wash with AP ShaveCo Cashmere and a dollop of aloe vera
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: hot shower

With the shim and without the shim, Iโ€™m still not getting my jawline as close as desired. Neck was closer, but my weeper on the right said I lulled myself into using much more pressure than needed. Upper lip shaved smoother, so that was cool. On the fence. The shim is an improvement, but I use it as an excuse to get lazy with reducing pressure and finding the correct angle for a particular group of whiskers.

Simpson Wee Scot definitely a tremendous latherer. Mineโ€™s very scritchy, so Iโ€™d better get good at palm lathering if Iโ€™m going to use it without incident.

Scent on the puck of Wickhams lemon pledge Club Cola is fading and more than half a puck remains. Itโ€™s not ARKO! or Canada Shaving Soap, but itโ€™s alright.
ย 

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Passion Fruit is fruity, right? ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Some people have called this a floral soap. Donโ€™t get that at all, even though โ€œfloraโ€ is in the name. All fruity for me. I tend to avoid the floral and perfumey soaps like the plague. Passiflora has quickly become one of my all time favorite soaps.

D97C9BCC-9395-458B-AAA2-B69BD537EE70.jpeg
ย 
Muhle/MdC Mondays

PXL_20230227_040952126.jpg

RR Hawk with Feather AC blade #27, Muhle XL STF brush, MdC Rose & orange essential oil

First, this soap is exceptional. The scent is authentic and lingers throughout the shave. Because I am using a slightly "difficult" blade, I wanted a very slick lather. I really was amazed how much water this soap can utilize and still have a rich luxurious effect. A couple drops of orange essential oil added a few tart "joyful" sensations while stirring the lather.

Secondly, if the month had 31 days, I would continue to use the blade in the OBIF challenge. I'm going to keep the blade for future use but I am REALLY missing my DE razors!!! The Feather AC blade does not slice whiskers as well as when new, It feels like there is some scraping cuts also. I can work with that with careful technique.

Third, the Muhle brush - anyone that has the XL STF knows how well it performs.

Tomorrow is the last day of February GRUME, Fruity February and OBIF. For me, the entree will be Orange Essence Tallow Tabac served on a Simpson Trafalgar T3 brush.

Please take care of yourself... and each other.
NOTE: Restraint is starting to feel like a Zen flow day by day.
ย 

thombrogan

Last nightโ€™s luxury shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (4)
Simpson Wee Scot 13mm badger brush
Lather: Wickhams 1912 Club Cola Soap, palm-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: hot shower

Tried placing the cap flat on my skin and pushing slightly to raise the whiskers to the blade. My lack of practice was evident in some razor burn and a weeper on the right side of my neck. Whiskers on the left side of my moustache seemed tougher than normal. Used a little gusto to earn a second weeper under my left nostril. Despite the hazards risked (and experienced) with ineptitude, fun was restored to my shave.

Palm lathering my scritchy fun brush went easier than I expected. Suspecting Iโ€™ll have a great shave this evening.
ย 
(๐ŸŠ) Tallow Tabac Tuesdays!
The Completion Of Fruity February and OBIF Challenge
Still In GRUME, Gruyere & 365 Shaves...

PXL_20230227_170353264.jpg

Feather DX with Feather AC blade #28, (orange) Tallow Tabac & Simpson Trafalgar T3

Hey Guys
It has been a very good month in Fruity February and the OBIF challenge. Since I only have two razors that use an Artist Club blade, it has been a 'restraintful' month not using DE razors. I surprised myself choosing the DX kamisori today.
Thanks to @Mike M and @Time Bandit for sponsoring the threads.

Today's menu entree had rare vintage Tallow Tabac seasoned with essence of orange' ๐ŸŠ served on a Simpson T3 brush. After the main course, I enjoyed a soothing combination of balms and moisturizers and Davidoff Cool Water for desert. It was a delightful end of month DFS affair.

Most important, does anyone have news about our beloved Brandon, @FoolishMortal ???

Tomorrow many of us begin a new month of GRUMEing and continue GRUYEREing. ๐Ÿฅ‚

Please take care of yourself...and each other...Onward!
ย 
Wow, this month flew by...

Thanks for hosting this thread @Time Bandit. We'll do it again, shall we?

For the final shave I chose a modern classic of this event... ๐Ÿคฃ

View attachment 1613294
๐ŸŠ Tabac ร  L'Orange ๐ŸŠ

And again, this interpretation of Tabac goodnees was a wonderful experience...

Hope to meet you again in good health in the next Fruity February!
๐ŸŠ๐Ÿซ’๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ‰๐Ÿ๐ŸŠ๐Ÿ’๐ŸŠ๐Ÿซ’๐Ÿˆ๐Ÿ‰๐Ÿ๐ŸŠ๐Ÿ’

Cheers
Guido

What a great showing you had this Fruity February. Your shaves were really just fantastic. ๐Ÿ‘

Thank you for your participation and for introducing us to Orange Tabac. ๐Ÿ™Œ I'll most certainly be trying this when I get my hands on some essential oil.

We will definitely be doing this again come next rotation 'round the sun.
ย 
4F811BDF-9000-4647-814B-F2C00BFA7192.jpeg

2AC3E4C4-EE04-40F2-A3D5-FC8741B58260.jpeg

Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: Gillette Platinum

Soap: Hendrix Classics & Company Citrus Bomb
Brush: AKA Brushworx Winter Shine (28mm AK4)
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements Fine Lather Bowl

Post 1: P.A.A. Alum No-Slip Grip System w/ Dry Dock System
Post 2: Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel Deep Cleansing Astringent w/ Menthol & Eucalyptus
Aftershave: Pinaud Lime Sec EdC

It's been a fun Fruity February to say the least and today was no different. The Hendrix Classics and Company Citrus Bomb was a blast to use and a fitting choice to end this month's festivities.

The soap is orange forward but you can pick up some other citrus family notes. It's not overpowering but not too light as well. It really is dialed in to a perfect volume.

I opted for the Fine Lather Bowl today and with its ridges, it helped my AKA Brushworx Winter Shine brush to whip up a great lather from the Citrus Bomb soap. The lather had a nice build to it with really good structure and cushion. I'm looking forward to trying more soaps from HC&C based on this experience.

With the venerable Blackbird in hand, fitted with a Gillette Platinum blade, I did a three-pass shave and walked away a happy camper.

The Blackbird resting safely in its hanger, I reached for some often overlooked but never underappreciated, Pinaud Lime Sec EdC. It's classic, it's lime and it's one I really do like. It made for a great finish to not only this shave but for Fruity February in general.

Take care my friends. Thanks for reading and enjoy your shaves!
ย 
Top Bottom