What's new

Frugal speakers?

I feel the need to update my current speakers which are early 90s tall technics They have served me well but I don't need to knock the pictures off the walls, and they just aren't sounding clean, if that makes sense.

Problem is, I am not sure what I am looking for. I bought these because they were tall, loud, I was in college, they were priced right, and that was the limit of my needs. Speaker technology has changed quite a lot in the years since that purchase and I can probably get away with a smaller book shelf type speaker but have no idea where to begin.

The title says frugal. That is a good way to describe me. I am a cry once kind of guy but not extravagant at all.

I listen to everything from Metallica to John Prine, to classical.
Vinyl, CD and digital.

I am open to bluetooth but have no issue running wires. I want good sound that can fill but not over power a room.

Suggestions?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have owned several sets of Mission speakers over the years and can highly recommend them. Like you I have moved to smaller speakers over the years and now own a pair of Mission M32i mounted on Mission Stancette stands but they would work well on a bookshelf. I am no Audiophile but to me Mission offer great value for money. I currently use them with an Arcam amp, tuner, and CD player, as well as with a Cambridge Audio One mini system but they have previously worked well with Nad equipment. Good luck.

What are your room’s dimensions? Where will these speakers be located within the room? Do you need to purchase stands for these speakers or are they going on a bookshelf? What electronics will you be using? What is your maximum budget? Where is your listening location within the room?

I had a friend that had a high end audiophile store like the kind where you can buy a house cheaper :)
was fun to listen to stuff and my buddy knowing me and my music and doubling as a home theater setup said PSB are some of the better all around speakers for a reasonable price and coming from him that was huge and had to fit into a room that was dual purpose not a dedicated audio room :)

had them a while now with a NAD amplifier and various input sources and still love them to this day not “high end” but above the mainstream stuff for sure

not saying they are the best or best for you but might be worth looking into if you can ever hear them or research ? They also have some previous models often on very good discounts (or used to at least)

Not sure how many brick and mortar type places are left to bring in music and hear your stuff these days :) but that was the best way

Some speakers were made with resin coated paper. The speaker surrounds are made from some type of foam. Over time these components deteriorate. Also some types of capacitors used for the speaker crossover can deteriorate causing changes in the frequency response.

In selecting speakers, be sure to consider the room in which the speakers will be used. How big is the room? How high are the ceilings? Are the floors wood, carpet or tile? That makes a huge difference in the acoustics. Is there a lot of furniture in the room, especially plush upholstery that will absorb sound?

Since you listen to a variety of music genres, you want speakers that reproduce the entire spectrum of frequencies well.

I listen to a wide variety of musical genres. I love Klipsch speakers due to their horn tweeters that reproduce higher frequency sounds well. They are great for reproducing the sounds of trumpets, organ pipes, violins, etc. They might not be so good for reproducing the sounds of an electric guitar, especially one with an overdriven amp.

Some people consider the sound of Klipsch speakers to be too bright or harsh because the tweeters are very efficient. While I like the high end presence, not everyone does. I typically stream music at 192 kHz/ 24 bit using a 768 kHz/32 bit DAC. If you have high quality classical vinyl recordings, you can get similar frequency and dynamic response.

Try to go to a store that has a variety of speakers hooked up and then listen to some of your favorite music on a variety of speakers to see what you like best. The Best Buy stores with Magnolia audio rooms are ideal for speaker comparison.

What are your room’s dimensions?
500 Sqft
Where will these speakers be located within the room?
Near the TV audio equipment on the short wall
Do you need to purchase stands for these speakers or are they going on a bookshelf?
Planning to have them on 6 quarter walnut shelves anchored to french cleats on the wall. Dog tails will take out stands.
What electronics will you be using?
Onkyo amplifier receiver, old technics 5 disk changer, Audio Technica turn table, iphone and android phone, FiiO digital player
What is your maximum budget?
I would like to NOT go over 350
Where is your listening location within the room?
Wherever I happen to be.

Room contents, tile floor with carpets, computer desk, computer, two couches, coffee table, TV stand (Antique Buffet), 2 Dogs, 3 cats, 1 spouse, two teen-agers

I like a warm sound.

Without knowing the model number of your receiver I really don’t have a ballpark figure of what speakers it could possibly drive effectively and I certainly don’t recommend bookshelf speakers in a room that large. If you have the power a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 240 tower speakers is probably a good choice but if you must have bookshelf speakers the Diamond 220 or 225 from musicdirect will work for your application. Maybe down the road you could pick up subwoofer.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
When it comes to bookshelf speakers I'd suggest ProAc but, theres nothing frugal about them. You might look into Emotiva however.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I have never found a smaller speaker that will fill a room like floor standing speakers with a 12 inch woofer. The smaller ones just don't move enough air in my opinion for a room over 200 square feet. My Cerwin Vega's kick serious butt! They are known to be a bass tuned speaker so may or may not work for you. Smaller bookshelf speakers with a powered subwoofer hidden in a corner can be made to work quite well however.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have never found a smaller speaker that will fill a room like floor standing speakers with a 12 inch woofer. The smaller ones just don't move enough air in my opinion for a room over 200 square feet. My Cerwin Vega's kick serious butt! They are known to be a bass tuned speaker so may or may not work for you. Smaller bookshelf speakers with a powered subwoofer hidden in a corner can be made to work quite well however.

I guess it depends on your definition of 'room filling'. I have Mirage OM-7's driven by B & K at 125wpc and a Mirage BPS-400 sub that has two 12's driven at 250w in about 150 sq.ft. I need to open a window for enough airspace but then things start to rattle lol.

ylekot

I guess it depends on your definition of 'room filling'. I have Mirage OM-7's driven by B & K at 125wpc and a Mirage BPS-400 sub that has two 12's driven at 250w in about 150 sq.ft. I need to open a window for enough airspace but then things start to rattle lol.
Exactly my point. No 6 1/2 bookshelf speaker will ever move enough air, supplementing with a potent subwoofer in a corner can be made to work well.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Exactly my point. No 6 1/2 bookshelf speaker will ever move enough air, supplementing with a potent subwoofer in a corner can be made to work well.

Yeah, I understand what you mean but its all in the ear, and wallet, of the listener. One of the nicest sounding systems I've ever heard was with ProAc bookshelfs driven by a 150wpc Blue Circle Audio tube amp. That was certainly room filling but it didnt make your pant legs shake or the air in your lungs move. It depends what you like.

Years ago I had a competition level stereo in my full size pickup. Nine drivers, including an 18" Cerwin Vega Pro sub, all driven by a single Alpine amp at a .5ohm load for 128db.

Sound pressure level isnt for everyone but it is for me.

ylekot

Yeah, I understand what you mean but its all in the ear, and wallet, of the listener. One of the nicest sounding systems I've ever heard was with ProAc bookshelfs driven by a 150wpc Blue Circle Audio tube amp. That was certainly room filling but it didnt make your pant legs shake or the air in your lungs move. It depends what you like.

Years ago I had a competition level stereo in my full size pickup. Nine drivers, including an 18" Cerwin Vega Pro sub, all driven by a single Alpine amp at a .5ohm load for 128db.

Sound pressure level isnt for everyone but it is for me.
That truck system was SPL in spades...WOW!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I enjoy the warm midrange of Vandersteen 2Ce's speakers. They've been around for decades in various incarnations. They aren't the most expensive but they are considerably more than $350. They are considered more mid-fi than audiophile but are highly regarded by all the audiophile mags...both current and those no longer in print. There are a bunch of them on the E shopping site. They are pretty pricey new these days. I've had our since the late 1980's, I think. I did have them redone after our sons blew out the bass speaker units when they were in HS. <eg> That brought them up to 2Ci standards.

They work great for my favorite music genres. The bass is tight but if you want booming bass, they wouldn't be for you. Great for guitar, voice, all the midrange instruments. I have semi eclectic musical tastes. I listen to rock, blues-based rock, blues, folk, singer/songwriter stuff... the old blues guys from the 20's and 30's.... John Prine to Jennifer Warnes.... Bonnie to Dylan... the Allman Brothers to the Tedeschi/Trucks band.... James Taylor, Paul Simon, Carole King.. so many others. I have around 1300 CDs now.. not the largest collection but enough to enjoy.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Given your requirements, I'd get a pair of Klipsch RP-600M Reference Premiere Bookshelf Speakers - Pair (Ebony) on sale on amazon for $379.

I feel the need to update my current speakers which are early 90s tall technics They have served me well but I don't need to knock the pictures off the walls, and they just aren't sounding clean, if that makes sense.

Problem is, I am not sure what I am looking for. I bought these because they were tall, loud, I was in college, they were priced right, and that was the limit of my needs. Speaker technology has changed quite a lot in the years since that purchase and I can probably get away with a smaller book shelf type speaker but have no idea where to begin.

The title says frugal. That is a good way to describe me. I am a cry once kind of guy but not extravagant at all.

I listen to everything from Metallica to John Prine, to classical.
Vinyl, CD and digital.

I am open to bluetooth but have no issue running wires. I want good sound that can fill but not over power a room.

Suggestions?
This is what I use in my studio:
Look through it and read about how they came about. Excellent engineering & sound and they aren't super expensive!
LRod

A 6 1/2" speaker is not adequate for a large room if it is the only speaker. I have a large family room with 20 ft ceilings. I have a 7.2 speaker system. I use 6 1/2" Klipsch center and front speakers, but I have two Klipsch 12" powered subwoofers in the corners. I have some older Bose floor speakers I use for the side speakers and some Infinity/Harman speakers wall mounted for the rears. I probably do not need the 2nd subwoofer, but it seems to help.

In my master bedroom, I have two 6 1/2" bookshelf speakers and they work fine. I do use a 10" powered subwoofer there to reinforce the bass.

ylekot

A 6 1/2" speaker is not adequate for a large room if it is the only speaker. I have a large family room with 20 ft ceilings. I have a 7.2 speaker system. I use 6 1/2" Klipsch center and front speakers, but I have two Klipsch 12" powered subwoofers in the corners. I have some older Bose floor speakers I use for the side speakers and some Infinity/Harman speakers wall mounted for the rears. I probably do not need the 2nd subwoofer, but it seems to help.

In my master bedroom, I have two 6 1/2" bookshelf speakers and they work fine. I do use a 10" powered subwoofer there to reinforce the bass.
Subs make all the difference.

Top Bottom