What's new

Fromm vs. Mink Oil Paste strop maintenance

I recently picked up some quality strops and want to keep them in excellent shape they are in. I run them with my palm but it’s pretty dry here especially in the winter so I think some type of oil or paste or dressing whatever you would like to call it should be used. I have an Heirloom, an Ezra Arthur horsehide and Ezra Arthur bridle. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I used Fromm on my cheaper strops with no issues but didn’t want to put something on these nicer ones that could cause an issue. The horsehide strop is virgin leather with no finish and that’s the one that I am most worried about and all the posts I have read about strops none mention unfinished leather. Well any suggestions would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
On my Veg Tanned Horsehide or Premium Steerhide Heirloom I usually suggest nothing more than rubbing with the hand. If in a super dry climate, the most I would do is put a drop or two of Neat's Foot Oil in the palm of the hand, rub my hands together to distribute a thin film on both hands then hand rub the strop the same as with a bare hand. This will leave the finest film on the leather. Repeat once or twice. Applying oil directly to the bare leather will cause it to soak in instantly and leave dark, oily patches and then by the time you apply enough to even things out the strop will be too oily and feel much different.

I really feel that if "it ain't broke, don't fix it" and just let the natural hand oils build up day after day and all will be fine. Already oily leathers (Notovan, Oil Tanned Bridle and Latigo) are much more tolerance of dressings but it is still easy to overdo the oil and change the feel considerably and to be unable to go back to the original feel.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Rather than hand-rubbingy leather strops, I rub them before and after use with the underside of my forearm. I am also currently in a dry climate and find that I get oil from my forearm but not my hand(s).

On my Veg Tanned Horsehide or Premium Steerhide Heirloom I usually suggest nothing more than rubbing with the hand. If in a super dry climate, the most I would do is put a drop or two of Neat's Foot Oil in the palm of the hand, rub my hands together to distribute a thin film on both hands then hand rub the strop the same as with a bare hand. This will leave the finest film on the leather. Repeat once or twice. Applying oil directly to the bare leather will cause it to soak in instantly and leave dark, oily patches and then by the time you apply enough to even things out the strop will be too oily and feel much different.

I really feel that if "it ain't broke, don't fix it" and just let the natural hand oils build up day after day and all will be fine. Already oily leathers (Notovan, Oil Tanned Bridle and Latigo) are much more tolerance of dressings but it is still easy to overdo the oil and change the feel considerably and to be unable to go back to the original feel.
Perfect thank you for the direct response and I must say your strop lives up to the reputation it is truly a work of art and I just wanted to say thank you sir.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
In the winter, my hands get so dry and chapped at work that if I rub my strop it will leave marks. I usually use my forearms, they are a little better. I hate the dragging, plodding, want to take the razor out of your hand, feeling of an overly oiled strop.

I real like the idea of putting the oil on by using your palm I think this is what I will do and real difference between mink oil and neatsfoot oil?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I real like the idea of putting the oil on by using your palm I think this is what I will do and real difference between mink oil and neatsfoot oil?

Neat's Foot Oil is certainly a good leather conditioner/preserver. It can also be found as Neat's Foot Oil Compound in which case it is usually blended with some non-animal based oils like mineral oil.

Mink Oil is good but the name is also used on a variety of boot and leather conditioners, some containing silicone or other water repelling compounds and may not always refer to 100% Mink Oil.

Check the label of either product just to be sure what is in it and whether you are getting 100% oil of maybe other additives.

Neat's Foot Oil is certainly a good leather conditioner/preserver. It can also be found as Neat's Foot Oil Compound in which case it is usually blended with some non-animal based oils like mineral oil.

Mink Oil is good but the name is also used on a variety of boot and leather conditioners, some containing silicone or other water repelling compounds and may not always refer to 100% Mink Oil.

Check the label of either product just to be sure what is in it and whether you are getting 100% oil of maybe other additives.
Again thank you for the help I’ll just play it safe and order some oil. Happy holidays, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year you have been a pleasure to deal with.

Top Bottom