What's new

From Venice, to Florence, to Rome...an Italian Journey

So, short story first, my return to italy for another run, but SWMBO's first trip, so I took her on the "typical" Italian tour of the three major renaissance cities. I jam packed the planning so she could maximize her trip to seeing as much as possible. While walking, I stopped in some places to purchase shaving products. Here's what I found, and at the end, the list of shops and links if possible, for those that find this thread later (or want to update the wiki). Any prices listed I used the $ symbol, but they are in Euro.

Italy2019Haul.jpg

Reality is, I was only really looking for a few "must buy while there" items, the rest I just bought, because at those prices, why not? Acqua di Parma (Top left of photo) was top of the list, as was SM Novella (top left area in box). Both of these are croaps...and were my only two must buy items.

While in Venice, I found a beauty supply chain called Caddy's. They had all your typical proraso, noxema, Figaro, Prep, etc. They also had the 1kg block of Cella, so I bought that too. Home - Caddy's Just google translate the page, find locations. Or google map it (though they sometimes don't come up on maps).

Florence is where SM Novella is, and its the 700 year old monkery thing that makes perfumes and such sundries. Their croap is pretty big, 7.7oz, and was like $36. The other place in Florence I didn't know about was Farmacia SS. Annunziata (Farmacia SS Annunziata). They have a milled hard soap in a few flavors...I bought the bergamont version. Very inexpensive at $21.

Rome has a few places, its where I went to the acqua di parma store (right next to the spanish steps, they have an old school barber shop in the back, you have to make an appointment). I took pictures of it with my iphone, so they are in those damn .mov files....I have to figure out how to edit those...

Anyways, here is the list of places in each city I was in, in case you want to find them yourselves:

Venice, Italy
Caddys Beauty Supply (Home - Caddy's) I saw 3 in Venice proper (the islands part). They have proraso, figaro, noxema, prep, cella, tabac, omega brushes (just a couple), and some after shaves. Very inexpensive.

Profumeria (??) No idea the name on this one. This guy speaks zero english (but you won't need to converse to buy stuff), but has a line of cream in a jar (Uomo Creme de Barba) I've never seen, so I bought some. He also has merkhur stuff, some brushes, other soaps, etc. 696A Ruga Vecchia S. Giovanni, Venice, Italy

Florence, Italy
Tigato Beauty Supply (Tigotà: Vendita Prodotti Cosmetici e Prodotti per la Cura della Casa) Google translate, find locations (they are a big chain). They are by far the least expensive place I found with all the "usual" suspects. Proraso, noxema, prep, figaro, and some aftershaves.

SM Novella (can't miss this place, its right near the bassilica santa novella....and is part of it, so to speak (historically speaking). Officina Profumo Farmaceutica They have a store in NYC too...and other cities in Italy. But the original, like 13th century joint, is in Florence, and is 100% worth the visit.

Farmacia SS. Annunziata (Farmacia SS Annunziata) About 1.5 blocks north of the Florence Cathedral (Domo). soaps, brushes, etc, house brands only. Not terribly expensive, Hard Soap (if that's your thing, it is for me).

Rome, Italy
So much is already in the wiki for Rome. I only visited places already on there.
There is a "Soap and Water" store right in the middle of Rome, next to the French Embassy Palace. They have all the usual suspects there. Not as inexpensive as above places.

Bertozzini (Profumeria Bertozzini - Bertozzini dal 1913 - Profumeria a Roma) is still there by the Vatican. They have just about any and every scent in the world, I think. They have a large assortment of brushes from several sources. They also have a large assortment of soaps/croaps. Not a great selection of razors though. Their prices are not inexpensive.

Durante (http://www.profumum.com/profumi-lusso-profumerie-negozi-profumum-italia-estero.html) They have a big awning out front that now reads Naima...but is the same place (Receipt still reads Profumeria Durante SRL). They have a lot of razors (fatips, merkhurs, etc). They have TOBS soaps, simpson brushes, proraso stuff, and others. Here's a few pics from inside the store. This place is literally 3 blocks from Bertozzini, so if you visit one, should visit both.

Durante1.jpg Durante2.jpg durante3.jpg Durante5.jpg

That's it, there's the list. I'm sure there's a ton of places I missed. I wasn't there for shaving stuff, just stopped in these locations when I saw them nearby.

Happy shopping to anyone that heads to Italy. Even if its just for a few things. I went a bit crazy on the inexpensive stuff...its super hard for me to passup tubs of croap for $1.50 to $2. Same with pre/post creams. they were less than $4. The block of Cella is pure novelty, but again, for less than $20, so worth it.

There's some gifts in there for sure. I wouldn't be able to use that much proraso aftershave creme things in like 5 years :) but all the soaps/creams are mine, and definitely that OG european old spice (it smells better than US version, 100%. Its not the same as the shelton stuff (I have old vintage shelton), but its a hell of a lot closer than US weird crap in a bottle.

You're most welcome on the details of shops. I know I had a bit of a time looking for stuff ahead of time, especially when staying in the city center of all three places. The best shops, from the lists I've found, are not in the city centers...and there wasn't much info for Florence and Venice. Like mentioned, Rome is pretty fleshed out on the wiki.

Also realised I didn't type out the name of the other national chain mentioned. "Acqua & Sapone", literally water and soap, is the name of the other national chain store of beauty supply products. They have a good assortment of colognes/aftershaves and shaving supplies. They had a figaro DE razor for sale too, at 8 euro....its just a weishi 9306.

I wasn't able to find any Tcheon Fung Sing or valabro or 3P.

Amazing trip and findings!!
Thanks for the good detailed report with super pics!
The neatness and completeness of the Durante shelves are impressive!!
Grazie!

There's some good pics on google maps for these stores too, from people uploading there....so you think those shelves are impressive, check out google maps photos for Bertozzini (Google Maps: Report Inappropriate Image)

You can see in the photo of the Women's Makeup Shelves, that underneath the makeup displays, behind glass doors, are all the shave soaps/croaps/etc. Its like they don't want them to sell, stocking them under women's makeup!

Oh, and Prego!

Awesome stuff! I remember searching for shave shops when I was in Venice but I had no luck! Next time I’ll look for this place!!

GREAT HAUL!! And wonderful thread (it belongs in the Wiki!!) :a14::a14::a14::a14:

‘...you don’t need to converse to buy...’ Money talks!!

Fortunately, there was a good place to eat, or two, around Italy :)

SWMBO was worried about gaining weight during the trip because "the foods so good, but heavy", I laughed. She tracked our walking, we averaged over 9 miles a day of foot travel for two weeks...she lost weight by the time we got home. She wants to go back :) I guess its the next diet fad, the Italian Travel Diet.

Money certainly is the great translator when shopping! haha The folks in Bertozzini didn't speak much english either. I find its the older folks in some of these long time shops that never bothered learning english. I speak enough italian that it was fine, but I'm confident in agreeing, that money talks more words than google translate when shopping.

This is great info.
We are planing a trip to Italy in 2024.
Life is just to short to put off not seeing from what people describe as a absolute beautiful place,

Having been to several places in europe, some multiple times, I can honestly say what wonderful countries, and people, they all are. They have things that we don't have in America, which is extremely old history. Its all worth seeing, taking in, learning about. Meeting locals is half the fun of the travel too. Most are so friendly, and willing to talk with travelers, as they are just as interested in your lives, as you may be in theirs. I've made great friends in other countries, hell, some I still email years later just to check in.

The world is truly a smaller place, especially now a days with air travel across the oceans being less expensive.

Sure, there are the scum of the earth in all places we live, but I've never had an issue with pickpockets, street people, illegal vendors, etc. You just need to learn the phrase in the language of the country you're in that tells them to bugger off, and you'll be good. For your trip in Italy, that word is "Basta!". It means "that's enough!". Said with authority to an annoying illegal street vendor, it means more "F OFF!"

Back on the shaving stuff, I didn't mention, you can find some items easily at any pharmacy (farmacia) in Italy...and there are a million of them everywhere. If you're in one city long enough, and don't feel like shopping much, you can just ask them to order you something if they don't have it on the shelves, and they will most likely get it in a day or two later. That's mostly for proraso products, as they carry, most the time, only the green flavor of product. So if you want any other item of the proraso line, they can order it in.

Here's some shots of the barber shop in the Acqua di Parma store. Astra SP is the chosen blade for their barber...AdPbarber.jpg AdPchair.jpg AdPtools.jpg

So, short story first, my return to italy for another run, but SWMBO's first trip, so I took her on the "typical" Italian tour of the three major renaissance cities. I jam packed the planning so she could maximize her trip to seeing as much as possible. While walking, I stopped in some places to purchase shaving products. Here's what I found, and at the end, the list of shops and links if possible, for those that find this thread later (or want to update the wiki). Any prices listed I used the $ symbol, but they are in Euro.

View attachment 975933

Reality is, I was only really looking for a few "must buy while there" items, the rest I just bought, because at those prices, why not? Acqua di Parma (Top left of photo) was top of the list, as was SM Novella (top left area in box). Both of these are croaps...and were my only two must buy items.

While in Venice, I found a beauty supply chain called Caddy's. They had all your typical proraso, noxema, Figaro, Prep, etc. They also had the 1kg block of Cella, so I bought that too. Home - Caddy's Just google translate the page, find locations. Or google map it (though they sometimes don't come up on maps).

Florence is where SM Novella is, and its the 700 year old monkery thing that makes perfumes and such sundries. Their croap is pretty big, 7.7oz, and was like $36. The other place in Florence I didn't know about was Farmacia SS. Annunziata (Farmacia SS Annunziata). They have a milled hard soap in a few flavors...I bought the bergamont version. Very inexpensive at $21.

Rome has a few places, its where I went to the acqua di parma store (right next to the spanish steps, they have an old school barber shop in the back, you have to make an appointment). I took pictures of it with my iphone, so they are in those damn .mov files....I have to figure out how to edit those...

Anyways, here is the list of places in each city I was in, in case you want to find them yourselves:

Venice, Italy
Caddys Beauty Supply (Home - Caddy's) I saw 3 in Venice proper (the islands part). They have proraso, figaro, noxema, prep, cella, tabac, omega brushes (just a couple), and some after shaves. Very inexpensive.

Profumeria (??) No idea the name on this one. This guy speaks zero english (but you won't need to converse to buy stuff), but has a line of cream in a jar (Uomo Creme de Barba) I've never seen, so I bought some. He also has merkhur stuff, some brushes, other soaps, etc. 696A Ruga Vecchia S. Giovanni, Venice, Italy

Florence, Italy
Tigato Beauty Supply (Tigotà: Vendita Prodotti Cosmetici e Prodotti per la Cura della Casa) Google translate, find locations (they are a big chain). They are by far the least expensive place I found with all the "usual" suspects. Proraso, noxema, prep, figaro, and some aftershaves.

SM Novella (can't miss this place, its right near the bassilica santa novella....and is part of it, so to speak (historically speaking). Officina Profumo Farmaceutica They have a store in NYC too...and other cities in Italy. But the original, like 13th century joint, is in Florence, and is 100% worth the visit.

Farmacia SS. Annunziata (Farmacia SS Annunziata) About 1.5 blocks north of the Florence Cathedral (Domo). soaps, brushes, etc, house brands only. Not terribly expensive, Hard Soap (if that's your thing, it is for me).

Rome, Italy
So much is already in the wiki for Rome. I only visited places already on there.
There is a "Soap and Water" store right in the middle of Rome, next to the French Embassy Palace. They have all the usual suspects there. Not as inexpensive as above places.

Bertozzini (Profumeria Bertozzini - Bertozzini dal 1913 - Profumeria a Roma) is still there by the Vatican. They have just about any and every scent in the world, I think. They have a large assortment of brushes from several sources. They also have a large assortment of soaps/croaps. Not a great selection of razors though. Their prices are not inexpensive.

Durante (Profumerie Profumum in Italia . Punti vendita Profumum all'estero. Negozi profumi, essenze e colonie Profumum. Profumeria Roma. LC Durante. Profumi Roma uomo. Profumo Roma donna.) They have a big awning out front that now reads Naima...but is the same place (Receipt still reads Profumeria Durante SRL). They have a lot of razors (fatips, merkhurs, etc). They have TOBS soaps, simpson brushes, proraso stuff, and others. Here's a few pics from inside the store. This place is literally 3 blocks from Bertozzini, so if you visit one, should visit both.

View attachment 975938 View attachment 975939 View attachment 975940 View attachment 975941

That's it, there's the list. I'm sure there's a ton of places I missed. I wasn't there for shaving stuff, just stopped in these locations when I saw them nearby.

Happy shopping to anyone that heads to Italy. Even if its just for a few things. I went a bit crazy on the inexpensive stuff...its super hard for me to passup tubs of croap for $1.50 to $2. Same with pre/post creams. they were less than $4. The block of Cella is pure novelty, but again, for less than $20, so worth it.

Thanks a lot, Mike, for sharing! - Awesome detailed info for shaving and for travel, I will definitely bookmark for my next trip there.

And thanks ALSO for your kind words about travelling in Europe. You are so right, the world is a small place and we should go visit one another. All over you meet 99% people who are friendly and helpful, and like with B&B you get the proof whenever you interact and just have a chat. No matter where you live in the world, in today’s troubled times we all need more than ever to constantly remind ourselves that this is this case.

I love coming to the US, have come regularly through my adult life for pleasure and for work. Current place I come most is Milwaukee, but earlier I used to go to North Carolina, Virginia, and California. Such amazingly friendly folk everywhere.

Last edited:
@Northstonehill No need to thank me, man! Thanks to awesome folks like yourself, my travels have been all the better for it. Finding how actually similar we all are through our various cultural differences, is always a treat and joy.

....plus, I find that every culture loves beer as much as me, so its truly impossible for me not to get along with them all!

I am in a little sleepy town in Southern Italy called Martina Franca right now.

I am going on a walk about to find some pharmacies and see what is available today. It should be fun.

8776E7FA-C2C6-4E67-B45B-5BC3F41EED01.jpeg
I found no joy at any of the pharmacies, but I was able to score at a small neighborhood supermarket. I wanted some Proraso white, but they only had green. I decided to go with another classic.

I have wanted to try the Prep cream for a while now too. The Palmolive was €1.80 and the Prep was €3.45

Sorry that you didn't find the white proraso....I found that was the hardest to find as well. If you're there for a few days, ask one of the places that has the green to order you the white, they probably will, they love customers :)

I haven't had much luck searching for shaving products in randomly selected shops when visiting Italy, but then I didn't put in the effort and research the OP obviously has. I'll be much better informed on future visits. Thanks.

I don't research too much, just the wiki, really. The rest is just from memory (grocery stores and pharmacies).

There's some good pics on google maps for these stores too, from people uploading there....so you think those shelves are impressive, check out google maps photos for Bertozzini (Google Maps: Report Inappropriate Image)

You can see in the photo of the Women's Makeup Shelves, that underneath the makeup displays, behind glass doors, are all the shave soaps/croaps/etc. Its like they don't want them to sell, stocking them under women's makeup!

Oh, and Prego!
These posts came in handy this week. Traveling without checking baggage and I assumed I could get DE blades in any supermarket. My mistake!
Searched here, found this post and discovered Bertozzini was within walking distance of my hotel.

I was good - came out only with 5 Gillette Platinum blades and some Sandalwood Proraso.

Grazie!

Top Bottom