What's new

From Tube to Tub: Will Creams Dry/Harden into a Puck?

From the, "Can't Hurt to Ask" file comes my question:

If I were to squeeze the contents of a tube of Proraso shave cream into an empty (Stirling) soap jar and let it sit in the open air, would the cream eventually harden into something at least resembling a puck of hard soap? Not hoping for "triple milled" hardness here, croap level would be fine.

I ask because the Stirling soap jars I have are simply much more convenient to store in my bathroom than the Proraso tubes. I don't want to destroy a perfectly good tube of Proraso experimenting, though, so if this a "Really Bad Idea" it's no problem; I can live with storing the tubes.

Probably they'd eventually turn into what proraso in the tub is. I can't say for certain though. Seems a little risky either way, if you don't mind the tube, why bother?

Probably they'd eventually turn into what proraso in the tub is. I can't say for certain though. Seems a little risky either way, if you don't mind the tube, why bother?
Well, like I said, it's mainly an issue (if I can even call it that) of storage: jars are just a little more convenient than tubes is all.

If I were to squeeze the contents of a tube of Proraso shave cream into an empty (Stirling) soap jar and let it sit in the open air, would the cream eventually harden into something at least resembling a puck of hard soap?

I see nothing wrong with transferring a tube cream to a jar, but why let it harden? Keep the lid on the jar and use it as it came out of the tube.

I see nothing wrong with transferring a tube cream to a jar, but why let it harden? Keep the lid on the jar and use it as it came out of the tube.
You make an excellent point, and - *facepalm* - I'm a little embarassed to say that thought never actually occurred to me.

Maybe not quite what you are asking about, but I take the left-over lather from a shaving cream shave and put it into a mug. After it dries I press it down. After several shaves the build up becomes substantial and I now have a pretty full mug of hard soap. I have the lather from several creams and even a few soaps mixed together. Someday I'll try shaving with my "frakensoap". No idea what the scent will end up like, but there is no reason to believe that it won't lather up and shave well.

Recently I have transferred a tube of Penhaligon’s shaving cream to a tub and let it air dry (from the tube it was too liquid)

It became a croap with a very nice consistency. Still soft, but easily usable as a normal soap to be loaded with a brush. The only “drawback” is that I lost a significant amount of the original weight (made up of water) due to evaporation.

Hence, no problem in doing it, but you will end up with less soap than you originally had, but a much more concentrated one

Maybe not quite what you are asking about, but I take the left-over lather from a shaving cream shave and put it into a mug. After it dries I press it down. After several shaves the build up becomes substantial and I now have a pretty full mug of hard soap. I have the lather from several creams and even a few soaps mixed together. Someday I'll try shaving with my "frakensoap". No idea what the scent will end up like, but there is no reason to believe that it won't lather up and shave well.
You are most likely going to be impressed. So far my frankensoaps always turn out great. Even scent wise they are good

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I transferred some vintage Yardley cream from a tube into a tub and it dried into a very good soap. It was already pretty dry to begin with.

Perfectly legitimate question. I had a tube of a hard-to-find cream that sprung a crack in the tube, so I decided to unload the substantial amount left in it into a coffee mug. It did dry to a degree but was still quite nice and usable afterward, left out in the open air.

yes, I've done exactly that with Proraso Single Blade cream.
Takes a few weeks to fully dry.
The puck has about same hardness as Tabac, and retains the scent and performance of the cream.
Makes a convenient travel item.
(Altho I have to question why I'd do the same with other Proraso creams that come in small travel-sized hard pucks already!)

proraso wood spice plisson kai cella march 18 2018.jpg

Top Bottom