What's new

From the start of your "prep" to the end of your final pass and rinse, how long is your shave?

My normal routine is a hot shower, then the shave begins a minute or two after stepping out.

So if we count the shower as 'prep' (and in a way it is) then that's 5-10 minutes max. The prep part is very simple for me. As much hot water and washing of the face as I can cram into a few minutes whilst showering. So, really that constitutes only 2 minutes or so of the time in the shower.

Then the shave -- I'm pretty quick, maybe 5-7 minutes.

So really, the whole time of shave is under 10 minutes for me, depending on how you look at it.

How long do you take to get the job done?

From start of prep (hot face wash) to final cold water rinse and application of alum, I’m probably down to 12 to 15 minutes. I’m in no hurry.

Moisten face with wet sponge for 1-2 mins, 2 passes, 1 touch-up.

Total time incl. prep:
- Safety razor around 10-12 mins
- Straight razor around 20-22 mins

But I never keep a close eye on the time.
Speed is not of the essence when I shave.

B.

20--25 minutes. Occasionally longer.

It used to be like 45--50. Plus another 5 or so cleaning up razor & brush, sink, etc....

I make it as long as I can without it becoming uncomfortable (dry lather). Unfortunately only about 15-20 minutes.

I would say 20-25 min. That contains prep, lathering in the bowl, 4 passes, quick cleanup of gear and after shave. I tend to take it slowly without any rush or hurry.

If in hurry, which does not happen often, taking only 2 passes with shave stick same time pretty much. Could be around ten or even less.

If need to be really really quick I skip shaving.

A lot faster than eight years ago, when I started DE shaving.
On a work day - soak my brush in my bowl while showering, then, depending on time I'll face lather right away or bowl lather, shave itself (one pass only) no longer than 3 minutes I reckon. All up 5 minutes tops once I've stepped out of the shower.

On days off I'll take my time and do a good job of the bowl lather and just enjoy the whole process, might do two to three passes. On a day off I'd probably spend 15-20 minutes while listening to chill out music.

From the moment I applied the soap to my face to start lathering to when I dabbed my face dry after the alum block and final rinse, it was 12 minutes 48 seconds. I was using the razor for 8 minutes of that time.

That doesn’t include the prep, which for me is hot water splash, exfoliating face wash, and a shower. That’s going to be another 5 minutes - so about 18 minutes all told.

I brush my teeth while I wait for hot water to run through.

Once hot enough I soak the brush in the bowl while I wet my wash my face and get the stubble nice and soft.

Lather up the soap or cream.

2 or 3 passes.

15 minutes usually or 10 just with one pass.

30 minutes from feet on the floor to walking into the kitchen, all three "s" taken care of. Shave is probably around 10 minutes.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
From ten to fifteen minutes. Depends on if I've set everything out the night before; if so, it's a ten minute shave. If not, and I make my decisions in the morning, it will be a fifteen minute shave.

In both cases, a shave includes a pre-wash, several minutes of lather making, a two-pass shave with some touching up, once over with some alum, a splash of A/S and, lastly, some balm.

I shower last, as I like to rinse off well.

Top Bottom