What's new

From the Back-of-the-Rack: The Atra

I've been making my way through the back of my rack, exploring the razors I keep but just can't find regular time to shave with. I give each one a few shaves and move on to the next. This time around, I went to a place that I haven't visited in a long time: the twin-blade cartridge shaving world.

[cue ominous fanfare]

Yeah, I know. It's an oldy cart razor. Have I gone a bit bananas?

Nope. Truth is that I got acceptable shaves from 2-blade cart razors for most of my life... even shaving totally dry with them when the need arose. My pop used to shave with a Wilkinson Bonded, and my very first shave was a 2-blader. My own first razor was a Super ][, so it's not an alien format for me. The Atra and the Sensor were my main tools for some 20 years until my M3 and Fusion came in the mail.

After awhile, I came around to DEs and wet shaving, but I kept my eye out for one of those metal Atra handles, and scouted for blades. I got the handle about a year ago, after spending some time waiting for the right one on the 'bay. It's pretty nice. Plenty grippy in wet-handling situations, with more heft than I remember from the Sensor or the other plastic Atra handles. The cart tilts up and down a bit, but it's not too big, and it's easy to move around in the hand.

For blades, I've had terrible luck with Personnas (enough to make me put this handle away so long ago!), but on a lark (a few weeks back) as I was picking up some fresh GEM SE blades at Walgreens (for my back-of-the-rack tour of the Kampfe lather-catcher), I snatched up some Gillette-branded carts suitable for Atra and Sensor... the ones with the white lube strip. Tonight, I popped one onto the handle and gave it a go.

So, how was the shave?

You know, it's a darn good shave. Better than the M3. DFS in three passes. The strip lets the cart pass without binding on lather-free zones, and that helps with overlapping strokes and touch-ups. Yes, you do have to use a bit of pressure, and I found myself sticking my tongue in my cheeks (like I normally do with straights) to get better purchase for the blades. All the same, I'm very smooth after those three passes, and haven't a whit of irritation anywhere -- not even around the neck where I have to be extra careful with the DE.

One of my main complaints with the multi-blade carts has been how they clog and require that I bang on them to unstick the gap between the blades. There's also the problem with getting a clean rinse. I pretty much observed the same conditions with the Gillette-branded cart, so not much has changed. Still, I'm pretty smooth, and my technique adapted very well. (I'll chalk that up to muscle memory.) I can say that using the Atra with handmade T&H 1805 lather beats the performance I used to get with the canned Barbasol that was my regular cream, though... by a mile.

Overall, my sentiments are favorable, and it goes to show that you can have a really nice wet shaving shaving experience in "twin-blade cart world" as easy as you can with a DE. I know that some of us tend to defer to single bladed options when we deliver our opinions around here, but it should serve as a good reminder (and good news to anyone new to wet shaving) that you can still get decent shaving edges in the 2-blade cart format and get good results.

I'm looking forward to another couple decent shaves with the Atra ... unless the Joris lands here in that timeframe, which'll mean that the Atra will have to take a break for a bit.

Some pics, for your edification ...
-- Chet

Attachments

• $atra_top_smaller.jpg
    $atra_top_smaller.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 195
  • $atra_bottom_smaller.jpg
    $atra_bottom_smaller.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 197
I found three Atra handles last summer, sold one, gave one away and kept one for myself. I picked up some of the CVS brand carts that fit on the Atra and Trac II handles, 20 for $11. I've really enjoyed using the Atra, it does a great job. I still prefer the Trac II, but the Atra is a fine razor.

Some follow-up:

I had the third shave with the Atra and I'm generally pleased with the results. Yes, there's still the clogging and hard-to-rinse aspects of the cart design, but my shaves have been very efficient and the results very good. The cart feels like it still has some shaves left in it, so I'll be keeping it attached to the razor, just in case I'm inclined to pick it up again. Overall, I think the Atra/Sensor is a decent platform. I'm not that happy with the tongue-in-cheek technique that I have to use to get a closer shave in the hollows. I'm not sure why it is that I have to do that -- one would think that the 2 blades would do a better job. It could be that the additional pressure means that the skin does some funny things underneath the cart. Whatever. The experience has been worth the trip.

-- Chet

Try using the cartridges that are marketed for the Vector (green lube strip). They are smoother than any cartridges readily available in America. Also they have a little plastic thing that can be pushed between the blades to get the junk out.

I found that in the land of carts,the Sensor gave me terrible ingrowns as did all the others. The only one that I got on with and I bought one of the bay last year is the Gillette trac II. It give a good shave and is quick for when time is not an option. The closeness doen't last as long as DE and the carts cost more, so it lives in the den at the back. As for the handle you've gotten there Chester, almost Fat Tech style?

I treated myself to a Merkur MII handle recently. It takes Trac 2 cartridges (those are the fixed ones, aren't they?) and Sensor carts with an adapter piece. Both shave very well indeed; and the fixed head cart almost uncannily resembles an Injector shave.

Here are some pics:

http://www.manufactum.de/merkur-systemrasierer-p759584/

And no, I didn't pay 52 Euros, I got it for 26.

Last edited:
I've got an MII as well and I get great shaves using it like a TracII with the Wilky Sword carts. I find the twin blades to handle my heavy beard quite well but I don't have problems with it clogging. I rinse it about as often as I do a DE and with soaps and creams it rinses out well. Never have I had to bang it on the sink to clear it out.

Last edited:
Try using the cartridges that are marketed for the Vector (green lube strip). They are smoother than any cartridges readily available in America. Also they have a little plastic thing that can be pushed between the blades to get the junk out.

+1

Very good quality carts, and for good prices too. The Vector is the Indian version of the Atra. You can buy them on Ebay directly from India. Here is the vendor I purchased mine from ($22 shipped for 32 carts):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/32-Gillette...920?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c1a23620

I've got an MII as well and I get great shaves using it like a TracII with the Wilky Sword carts. I find the twin blades to handle my heavy beard quite well but I don't have problems with it clogging. I rinse it about as often as I do a DE and with soaps and creams it rinses out well. Never have I had to bang it on the sink to clear it out.

If clogging is a problem, I recommend the Merkur cartridges. They have a little plastic sheet that you can press out to clean the debris from between the blades by pressing the button (or whatever it is) on top of the cartridge:

$86387_1.jpg

Top Bottom