What's new

From SE1 to SE2...

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've gone through a line of the "more affordable" vintage Gems, from a Damaskeene to an MMOC. While I like them and appreciate the sheer durability of what was a 50-cent razor 100 years ago that still shaves like a hot damn, with the exception of the MMOC I just don't get a decently close (head) shave out of them.

The MMOC is fine, but the overall ergonomics are a little off for me. I would like to try the Streamline some day, but at current prices I'm not all in for it.

Because of my immense respect for @rabidus, I gave some consideration to his views when he spoke in glowing terms of the SE1. I tend to view the cost of any hobby as an "expense" instead of an "investment," so I had to think it over a while but finally talked myself into it. Once it came down to ordering I decided that rather than get the SE1 and then later possibly step up to an SE2, I would buy the SE1/SE2 plate combo with cap and purchase a separate handle for it.

That way I could try the SE2 on as well, then decide what to do about it. I've earlier remarked that the closest shave I've ever at that point had came from that SE1, even though SB razors don't tend to inspire much confidence in a close shave for me. So I kept using it for a couple of blades; about a month of shaves. That way I learned the razor and how it needed to feel in my hand to be in the right position for the back of my head where I can't see.

Yesterday I swapped in the SE2 plate under a blade with four shaves on it. Anthony speaks jokingly of "face stropping" to knock a wicked sharp edge down by simply using it carefully. I summoned up a warrior level of "razor-do" as I had been warned to do, and set to work.

My, My. I've got one patch on the back of my head that is still smooth over 24 hours later. Scary close! My wife asked how I liked my shave. I said, "As you know from looking at my scars I've been kissed by steel a few times in a long and not always safe life. THAT is as close as I can get to getting kissed by steel and have it still be fun." I'll wait to see if I get a bunch of ingrowns in that spot.

But it's a keeper. I've been thinking about it, and I've decided to go ahead and buy another cap and handle and make it two razors. Then I'm thinking I'll use the SE1 with new blades until they just start to lose their mojo and swap them into the SE2 and get some more shaves out of them. I don't think at this point that the SE2 is going to be a daily shaver all the time, but it'll be a strong second in my rotation. Whenever I get to feeling cocky I can put a new blade in the SE2 and trim myself down a peg.

OK, back outside for me. I'm building a generator shed and evidently the darn thing ain't gonna build itself.

O.H.

I also have an SE1, and I agree that it shaves beautifully--so much so that I have never even considered getting an SE2 plate. I also have an S1/S2 combination--the S2 being that rara avis of an Open Comb slant razor. While I love the S1, the S2 is a little rough for me, and I couldn't get enthused about it. On the other hand, the S1 shaves like a Feather AS-D2, if the Feather were a slant.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I finally got a packet of the Schick Proline blades. I have been using Feather Pro, and I agree with the folks who say the Feathers are wicked sharp out of the box but seem to wear down pretty quickly. I can get about four really smooth shaves with them in the SE1, then they get increasingly (albeit slightly) tuggy for another three or four shaves.

A slightly tuggy blade (x5) dropped in the SE2 smooths out for a couple of more uses, but after that it's for the blade bank.

I'll drop a Proline in for Monday (Friday will be the MMOC) and see how it goes.

With reference to slants -- they seem to be the best DEs for me, though I haven't used one for quite a while. A PAA Alpha Ecliptic with a good sharp blade is a joy. Trying to dodge the rabbit hole...:001_unsur...but I may have to have a closer look at those, since I've got to put in an order anyway. :a13:

O.H.

I haven't use the SE2 in a while, it's definitely a couple of steps up from the SE1, if you can wield it.

I haven't shaved my head in about a year, but the SE2 was off limit for head shaves. The SE1 took a little more effort, but I was able to BBS my dome without any issues.

Go easy with the SE2/Proline!

I haven't use the SE2 in a while, it's definitely a couple of steps up from the SE1, if you can wield it.

I haven't shaved my head in about a year, but the SE2 was off limit for head shaves. The SE1 took a little more effort, but I was able to BBS my dome without any issues.

Go easy with the SE2/Proline!
Since abandoning the SE1 and SE2 a few months ago (or is it longer) the Enders Speed-Proline has sped to the top of the pack for my head shaves. Sooooooo much easier, equally efficient (aggressiveness adjustable), great ergonomics.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I enjoy the SE1 as well. Sometimes, I want just a bit more in efficiency. I got the opportunity to buy an SE2 v1 base plate. I find it to be a noticeable step up in aggressiveness. Enough that I have no desire to find a current version of the SE2.

That difference between the SE1 and SE2v1 seems to define the line of what I would shave with daily vs occasionally, based on my current skills, sensitivity, etc.

Top Bottom