What's new

From Russia with Love

Got home today to another :rolleyes1 package - this time a nice blade sampler from Russia along with a cheap razor made by Vostok that I added to the order because it was only $6. I'm thinking tonight's shave will be a new Voskhod and I might as well try the new razor, sometimes these cheapies can surprise!!
Razor is 3 piece, very light aluminium handle.

$photo (6).jpg

Nice! :thumbup1: Was that an ebay purchase? I'd be interested in a link if more available? I'm in Australia too and looking at ordering some non Astra Russian blades to try!

Yes it was an eBay purchase from this seller http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/unuta77/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

I have purchased a couple of Russian shave creams and balms, but got them from this seller http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/vanagz/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

It's about a fortnight for postage, but as these things are not usually available locally, I don't mind the wait.

Well, I had a shave with the razor and a voskhod blade, I have to admit the blade was very, very good, sharp and very smooth and the razor performed very well, much to my surprise, probably somewhere between a tech and an EJ DE89 in aggressiveness, but very forgiving and I completed a 3 pass shave (WTG, XTG and ATG) nick free, using tet-a tet shaving cream. The razor felt feather light in my hand and performed much better than some razors that I have paid 10x the price for. All in all I'm chuffed with my $6 razor :)

Yeah, I noticed they had none of the razors left, keep an eye out - I wouldn't get one by itself as the postage would be more than the razor! but if you are getting blades etc and combine postage it works out ok.

Never tried Polsilver Super iridiums....I've heard many good things about them, so will look into acquiring some no doubt.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Great Sampler!! :thumbsup:

I had the same one, and found Voskhod (now my 'go-to'), blades to be 'awesome' forgiving and perfect with no pulling or tugging, very, very smooth, (albeit a 'weeper' now & then..but zero 'nicks'), no irratation and/or razor burn that %99.9 of the time results in CCS's in 3 passes (WTG, CTG & ATG), with 2 great shaves per blade (I shave every-other day with Saturdays as my shaving 'day off'),...and are very compatible with both of my Merkur 23C & 38C razors.
proxy.php

proxy.php
“A razor [blade] can’t be sharpened on a piece of velvet”. Author Unknown

Yes, it was a great sampler :) Once I go through them I'll look at bulk buying my favourite(s) had a shave today with the Rapira Swedish Supersteel (used the $6 razor again) - Oh boy - another winner! Very sharp! In fact I nicked myself, didn't even realise or feel it until I relathered and the claret started to seep through the lather.

The single Vostok blade (in the blue wrapper) came with the razor, I have opened it and it has no markings on the blade whatsoever and it's quite thick - a bit like the vintage blades, I tried 'trimming the tree tops' on my arm hair and they weren't exactly popping off, so if I decide to use it (that's a big 'if') it will be interesting to say the least. I have a suspicion based on the packaging of the razor that they are both made in China - I understand a little Russian, but there were definately some words that were Chinese, it's a cheeky replica of the Alu handled Gillette Tech from the '70's.

Top Bottom