What's new

From Necessity to Obsession-My Shave Journey

Howdy y'all. I thought I would start this journal so I have a place to keep my thoughts organized. Maybe...

When I got out of the Air Force in the late 80's, I planned to never shave again. I did not care for having to shave every day. I did grow my mustache and kept at least it through many years. I did often switch between a goatee and a full beard though. I also let my hair grow out. I reached 18" of hair at one point but cut it and started keeping my head shaved.

I was a welder at the time and hair got in the way around flying sparks and spatter balls.

I started as many in my generation did with disposable cartridges; mostly the twin blade style and whatever was cheapest. The first "name brand" i used was the Mach 3 and used it for most of my adult life. yes, a goatee does require shaving and a beard does too to keep it lines up.

This was the norm until about 19 years ago. Shaving was just tedious and carts had become so expensive that I just quit shaving all together. I even bought a trimmer and would use it on my head with no guard to keep it at least buzzed but not shaven anymore.

This is the last picture of me with my beard and buzzed head.
T2317.ithmb.jpg

I am an industrial maint technician now by trade. I also have background and education as a draftsman, machinist, welder/pipefitter, electrician and HVAC/R Technician. I also have an IT degree.

The beginning of 2017 found me being laid off from the job I planned to retire from ahead of the plant closing. I worked at a couple small companies in maint. until July 2017 when I landed where I am now.

I am a process engineering technician at Vi-Jon Inc. Some of you will know this company by other names such as Vi-Jon Laboratories or Cumberland-Swan. We are in the personal care business and make private label, store branded mouthwashes, lotions and such.

We fall under FDA regulations so hairnets and beard nets are required UNLESS clean shaven. So you can guess where this is going, lol. I did not have any desire to wear hair nets or beard nets. they were annoying and uncomfortable.

The hair and beard had to go.

I started doing my research as I knew there had to be a cheaper way to shave besides the Mach 3 which, at the time, was about $25 for 5 carts locally. That's approximately one months worth of shaves and that was pushing it.

In my research I stumbled upon Badger and Blade and my journey ended. I was going to start shaving daily with a DE razor and blades. The cost was what I was looking for and blade life seemed to be phenomenal which was perfect.

September 1, 2017, my beard and hair left for good; it was gone. Now, it was a great shock to my wife and kids who had never seen me without facial hair. Jokes abound about men looking like babies when they shave their beards and most of my friends are bearded so I was ready for all of that. I can definitely give as good as I can get. But, I felt that I actually looked OLDER without the beard.

I'll let you be the judge:

IMG_3830.JPG

My first razor was a Merkur 23c. I purchased it because it was not very expensive and it was lauded as a very mild razor, perfect for beginners. I also bought a cheap badger brush for lathering up. More on this later.

I went with Astra SP blades and bought 100 of them.

My first soaps were the Col. Conk variety pack and Gentleman Jon's. These were and still are amazing soaps and still are and will always be in my rotation.

Up until now has been the "NECESSITY" part of my journey.

Then I joined Badger and Blade.

After joining B&B, shaving quickly went from Necessity to Obsession with very little time at Hobby. Lol.

I started reading and I started acquiring. I ended up trying some Personna Blues from a friend at work and bought 100 of those. I bought 2 more razors to try, both from West Coast Shaving. I purchased one of their open combs and one of their closed combs with handles.

I didn't care for the OC because it was just too aggressive for daily use. The closed comb was aggressive as well but a lot smoother. I know now that it's just more "efficient". It has been my daily driver ever since.

I still use carts for my head but I use Dorco carts and buy in bulk straight from them. I prefer the Pace 4 and Pace 6. They work great on my head.

My cheap badger showed how cheap it was so purchased a boar brush, the Omega 10098 Pro. It quickly become my daily go to and the cheap badger went in the trash. The came a Synth from WCS from their Psychedelic collection and a Pure Badger from their Ancient Stone collection. They all have their uses and place in my den and will be replaced as necessary.

Then the aftershave and soap AD's kicked in. I have ever scent from Pinuad Clubman and from their Lustray line as well. I do have the 3 Proraso's with their matching AS's but the White AS lotion is the only one that will stay in my rotation after being used up.

I now have about 8 years worth of soap after buying and artisan's entire scent line, 12 6oz tubs of soap along with a multi pack of Williams.

Now I am in full blown shaving obsession. I actually look forward to shaving. I look forward to whatever soap and AS I pick each day. It is "my time" when I shave. It's just me and my razor in quiet contemplation and Zen.

My obsession has lead me to my current place, Slants. Due to my obsession, I enlisted in the 2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical so this was a problem.

Through the help of brothers in the sabbatical, I have been able to try some slants. My first was the PAA AE Bakelite slant. It was great on 2 days worth of growth but not a daily shaver for me. I passed it, my OC and my spare stand on to another member here that had a need.

Another member here then PIF'd me a Merkur 37c. The only thing I can say about this is, I have found my grail razor that I didn't even know I had.

IMG_4163.jpg

I had my first shave with it Tuesday morning with 2 days of growth and it was nothing short of amazing. It was a real hallelujah moment with rays of light and angels singing. 2 passes with clean up on my face and I even shaved my head with it giving amazing results.

The shave consisted of:
Merkur 37c
Fresh Derby blade
Omega 100098 Pro Boar
Gentleman Jon's Soap
Cetaphil face and head wash pre-shave
Sandelwood infused WH and BB&B Teakwood lotion for post shave
Pinuad Clubman VIBR AS.

I sit here now, almost 36 hours later and still so very smooth. I will be able to achieve my long sought after goal of a quick 2 pass shave on the 3 days a week I work and don't have very much time at home for much more than sleeping. I can do 2 passes from 2 days growth and be acceptable for work. I want to shave more now.

Now my true journey begins.

You do look younger in the bearded photo, but to be honest, your smiling in it and that might make the difference.

Up until now has been the "NECESSITY" part of my journey.
Then I joined Badger and Blade.
After joining B&B, shaving quickly went from Necessity to Obsession with very little time at Hobby. Lol.

Says probably everyone with some form of shaving AD. :)

Now I am in full blown shaving obsession. I actually look forward to shaving. I look forward to whatever soap and AS I pick each day. It is "my time" when I shave. It's just me and my razor in quiet contemplation and Zen.

Such a great place to be! Enjoying one's shaves. Looking forward to them.

You do look younger in the bearded photo, but to be honest, your smiling in it and that might make the difference.

Says probably everyone with some form of shaving AD. :)

Such a great place to be! Enjoying one's shaves. Looking forward to them.

That could be it about the smile. The other pic was me and a friend of mine just being goofy. Lol.

It really is. I still can’t get over how small the 37c is though but very easy to handle. The other thing is, it doesn’t even feel like it has a blade in when I’m shaving. The whiskers are just gone after it passes over my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3/20/2019
First day of spring shave

Cetaphil

Merkur 37c

Derby Extra #2

Omega 10098 Pro Boar

Col. Conk Lime

Lime and Lemongrass EO infused WH

Proraso White AS Lotion

Pinuad Clubman Lime Sec

proxy.php

Another great shave but I do believe everyone is correct about going through blades. This was the second shave on the Derby Extra and I could tell it was going down at the end. It did finish up just fine but it will not go for a third.

I did officially retire my WCS closed comb to the drawer. I took the blade from it and it will handle my shave tomorrow with the 37c. It’s a Personna Blue with about 2 or 3 shaves on it. If it starts off bad, it will be replaced but I’m curious as to what will happen. Others have talked about getting an extra shave or 2 from a blade after removing it from a regular DE and putting it in a slant. So, I shall see.

Happy shaving all.

3/20/2019
First day of spring shave

Cetaphil

Merkur 37c

Derby Extra #2

Omega 10098 Pro Boar

Col. Conk Lime

Lime and Lemongrass EO infused WH

Proraso White AS Lotion

Pinuad Clubman Lime Sec

proxy.php

Limey :)

If your out in the sun much it can cause issues, citrus in general can.

Sounds like an invigorating scent to wake up to though!

Limey :)

If your out in the sun much it can cause issues, citrus in general can.

Sounds like an invigorating scent to wake up to though!

Actually it was before bed. :). I shave in the mornings before bed.

I started doing my research as I knew there had to be a cheaper way to shave besides the Mach 3 which, at the time, was about $25 for 5 carts locally. That's approximately one months worth of shaves and that was pushing it.

In my research I stumbled upon Badger and Blade and my journey ended. I was going to start shaving daily with a DE razor and blades. The cost was what I was looking for and blade life seemed to be phenomenal which was perfect.

September 1, 2017, my beard and hair left for good; it was gone. Now, it was a great shock to my wife and kids who had never seen me without facial hair. Jokes abound about men looking like babies when they shave their beards and most of my friends are bearded so I was ready for all of that. I can definitely give as good as I can get. But, I felt that I actually looked OLDER without the beard.

View attachment 964623
Great job.

I always think a fully shaved head is age defying. Mind you I'm a lousy judge of people's age at the best of times. And skillful shaving and presentation surely says something about a guy.

I read a stat last year that the majority of people judge a man with a fully shaved head to be more authoritative and powerful.

Personally I think you look more confident with the new look. It's a win!

I started reading and I started acquiring. I ended up trying some Personna Blues from a friend at work and bought 100 of those. I bought 2 more razors to try, both from West Coast Shaving. I purchased one of their open combs and one of their closed combs with handles.

I didn't care for the OC because it was just too aggressive for daily use. The closed comb was aggressive as well but a lot smoother. I know now that it's just more "efficient". It has been my daily driver ever since.

I still use carts for my head but I use Dorco carts and buy in bulk straight from them. I prefer the Pace 4 and Pace 6. They work great on my head.

My cheap badger showed how cheap it was so purchased a boar brush, the Omega 10098 Pro. It quickly become my daily go to and the cheap badger went in the trash. The came a Synth from WCS from their Psychedelic collection and a Pure Badger from their Ancient Stone collection. They all have their uses and place in my den and will be replaced as necessary.

Then the aftershave and soap AD's kicked in. I have ever scent from Pinuad Clubman and from their Lustray line as well. I do have the 3 Proraso's with their matching AS's but the White AS lotion is the only one that will stay in my rotation after being used up.

I now have about 8 years worth of soap after buying and artisan's entire scent line, 12 6oz tubs of soap along with a multi pack of Williams.

Well it's a good start. Wait until the Acquisition Disorders really start to kick in! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

What is your favourite Clubman product? They are harder to get hold of over here in the UK so I am always curious.

Great job.

I always think a fully shaved head is age defying. Mind you I'm a lousy judge of people's age at the best of times. And skillful shaving and presentation surely says something about a guy.

I read a stat last year that the majority of people judge a man with a fully shaved head to be more authoritative and powerful.

Personally I think you look more confident with the new look. It's a win!

I thank you for the compliment. I am currently trying to move into a more professional position at work and feel that the "cleaner" shaved look is more professional. ( At least for my company and the type of business they are in). When I was a welder or a contractor, a well kept beard presented a professional look in that field. When I was a firefighter, shaving was a necessity as well and presented a more professional look in that field.

This is all just my opinion and not meant in any derogatory way towards anybody. Everyone's job and view of a "professional" look is different.

Well it's a good start. Wait until the Acquisition Disorders really start to kick in! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

What is your favourite Clubman product? They are harder to get hold of over here in the UK so I am always curious.

My favorites are Original, Whiskey Woods, Gents Gin, Brandy Spice, Musk and The Veg (Lilac Vegetal)

I thank you for the compliment. I am currently trying to move into a more professional position at work and feel that the "cleaner" shaved look is more professional. ( At least for my company and the type of business they are in). When I was a welder or a contractor, a well kept beard presented a professional look in that field. When I was a firefighter, shaving was a necessity as well and presented a more professional look in that field.

This is all just my opinion and not meant in any derogatory way towards anybody. Everyone's job and view of a "professional" look is different.
Well if you are trying to move into a more professional sphere then the look is a great one. In that picture you present a lot of self assurance and in my experience that's 80% of the job done. I have worked with a number of guys that have been successful largely because of they way they carry and present themselves. If you have something more than that to offer as well, I am sure you will be highly successful in your next ventures.

Well if you are trying to move into a more professional sphere then the look is a great one. In that picture you present a lot of self assurance and in my experience that's 80% of the job done. I have worked with a number of guys that have been successful largely because of they way they carry and present themselves. If you have something more than that to offer as well, I am sure you will be highly successful in your next ventures.

Thank you for kind words sir.

3/21/2019

Cetaphil
Merkur 37c
Personna Blue (4th shave total)
Omega 10098 Pro Boar
Col. Conk Almond
Sandalwood EO infused WH
Pinuad Clubman Classic Vanilla

The Personna had 3 previous shaves in my previous daily driver, the WCS closed comb. It was surprisingly smooth and irritation free.

Thursday is my weekly blade change and razor cleaning day so tomorrow I am thinking about trying a Nacet. I have never used them before but they were included with the razor along with a few other tucks of new to me blades.

proxy.php

Top Bottom