What's new

From Muhle R41 to Merkur 37 (Slant)

Hi All

I have been using my R41 as my daily razor for the last eight years, and have been very happy with it.

I have always been aware of the 37 Slant, and have been intrigued by the design. I recently found one at a good price and bought it. This was purely out of interest rather than any dissatisfaction with the R41.

I tested using same blade/soap as for R41. My first reaction was 'I have forgotten to put the blade in', it was so smooth. However, the blade was in, and evenly aligned, and I was being shaved. It gave a very good, smooth shave. After a couple of weeks of daily use, my impressions are that it gives a very smooth shave, but also very close. I would say, on a par with the R41. It is almost impossible to cut yourself with the 37 - a bit like a plastic razor. However, I don't care for the handle, I don't find it knurled enough, and can get slippy. Also, given the slant design, I find it a bit imprecise around the sideburns and nasal area.

I switched back to the R41, and the first thing I noticed was, how less smooth it was. You can definetely feel it across the skin. The handle (which was a replacement) has a very pronounced knurl, so no issues with slippling.

I have stayed with the R41, and will continue to do so (until the next experiment!). I do miss the smoothness of the 37, but overall the R41 suits me better.

Nice review. My 39c is one of my favorites (same as 37c with a longer handle) I will always have one in my rotation. I do not have anything that mows down a weeks growth with less effort. I am working on a way to turn it into a 3 piece so I can use a handle of choice.

The Razorock German 37 is almost the same as the older generation Merkur slants in shaving performance, but it is a three-piece design. You can use just about any handle you like. Inexpensive at around $12 for the head only, or $20 for head plus a stainless steel handle with about four different designs to choose from.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
All true but I find I've no problem with the handle. I have also experienced the "Have I forgotten to put the blade in" scenario.

Perhaps this is old hat, but if you find a handle getting slippery, run warm water over it and it will grip up.

Love the 37c. It shaves so close and does not feel aggressive at all to me.

the only thing I wish is that the head would more closely mimic the 34C, but with a slant to it. That would be the ultimate, imo.

Same here. I shaved with the 37C today, after shaving with the Rockwell 6s R5 and the Rocca for the past few weeks. It feels much milder but smoother (much smoother XTG). In comparison, it feels like it's not cutting much - and I'm wanting to put more pressure which is a mistake - but it is cutting. I'm not yet sure but based on today's shave I might end up selling both the 6s and Rocca and just keep the 37C.

The Razorock German 37 is almost the same as the older generation Merkur slants in shaving performance, but it is a three-piece design. You can use just about any handle you like. Inexpensive at around $12 for the head only, or $20 for head plus a stainless steel handle with about four different designs to choose from.
This is the answer! The barberpole is my favorite handle and worth the time to put in to get one (get on email list when they are in stock). Most of their handles provide excellent grip, but I love the barberpole b/c it has the larger butt of the handle like the Merkur. Might be my favorite razor.

Thanks Atlantic59 for suggesting the Razorock. I decided to try one of these.

Well first of all, the handle is an superb piece of engineering, well knurled, so issues with slippage.

Comparing the the head of the Merkur 37C and the RazoRock, the slant angle seems the same, however there is a bigger gap under the blade compared to the 37C. Whether it's this or something else, the shave feels different. On the Razorock you can feel the blade more than the 37C. It is still very smooth compared to the R41. I feel far more in control of the Razorock, than the 37C. To
me the 37C feels very indistinct, perhaps because I am used to an R41, where you are never in doubt what its doing!

Anyway, the Razorock has displaced the R41 as my daily shaver. In my opinion, if you want a slant, this is the one to go for. Great handle, smooth and very close shave but with good feedback, and a more conventional 3 piece design.

Top Bottom