What's new

From Gem G-bar to Gem MMOC

I had another brilliant shave today with my Clog-Pruf - it shaves so close.

This is my only Micromatic (I have ER 1912s) so I need to get a MMOC at least. I gather there are 2 types - with and without the 2 bumps on the plate. I assume that both are OK with PTFE blades? Any preference for brass finish over chromed?
It's a no-brainer to get both at the prices they go for in mint condition. I find both comfortably smooth and supremely efficient with the Gem PTFE blade.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

This is my only Micromatic (I have ER 1912s) so I need to get a MMOC at least. I gather there are 2 types - with and without the 2 bumps on the plate. I assume that both are OK with PTFE blades? Any preference for brass finish over chromed?
I was able to find the gold/brass finish and it cleaned up well. I had received a GEM Micromatic case with another razor purchase, so I was fortunate. Also got some original GEM “no 5 o’clock shadow “ blades . Too cool .

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

I have a MMOC totally brass with no bumps and have not got around to using it yet. From my understanding from other folks that there is not a whole lot of difference if you use a single edge GEM blade. I will let you know when I get around to using it.
Have some great GEM shaves!

Had another MMOC shave tonight... Super close... Super smooth.

Its really got me rethinking DE's.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have used both systems and they have their strengths but I think the Gem mmoc+ Gem 1912 would be excellent choice or Schick E2 injector razor. For economics the Gem beats all SE systems IMO.:santa:

Who was the desinger of TTO razor? Can't find anything about it.
Which one ? Micromatic or Gillette?

Here's Micromatic

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
proxy.php

Last edited:
The first in mass production. There were earlier patents not utilized.

Thanks. If its not too much trouble do you have links to those patents?

Its also interesting that for some reason most of the shaving innovators (the inventor of micromatics, GEMS blade, TTO, slants, injectors (Schick)) all trace their ancestors to Germany (whether ethnically German or Ashkenazi Jews from Germany).

I'm also curious on the first razor with a pivoting head and first adjustable.

Best patent resource is here. razors.click - Main - https://www.razors.click/index.html

Inventor bios are there as well.

I'll check my collection and see if he's missing any of the early TTO patents.

Ed: there are three earlier patents referenced in the Gillette v. Segal suit but none are particularly relevant.

Thanks. I'll take a look. One thing I couldn't find by quickly glancing is the inventor of the valet auto strop style blades that the oneblade takes? I know only feather makes them today but I assume other manufacturers exited in the past. I'm also going to try to find the patent for the Oneblade. I bet that looks pretty cool. Thanks again.

I am 100% convinced that MMOC is one of the best safety razors ever created. SE or DE, doesn't matter. It's hard to even buy a modern product, regardles of the $$$, that shaves better than MMOC.

Thanks. I'll take a look. One thing I couldn't find by quickly glancing is the inventor of the valet auto strop style blades that the oneblade takes? I know only feather makes them today but I assume other manufacturers exited in the past. I'm also going to try to find the patent for the Oneblade. I bet that looks pretty cool. Thanks again.
Here ya go.
proxy.php

Reactions: Avi

Henry Jacques Gaisman - google him, he's a pretty interesting figure and unlike most razor company execs a bonafide inventor with patents unrelated to shaving/grooming. He's probably most remembered today for bringing Gillette to its knees over their infringement of his DE blade patent and the resultant "merger" of AutoStrop and Gillette, which, when Gillette's financial shenanigans came to light, wound up being AutoStrop's takeover of Gillette with Gaisman as Chairman of the Board.

Gaisman's Wikipedia entry has some fairly inaccurate stuff on the Gillette patent dispute, but there are other outlets online that have the details, including several entries on the shaving forums.

Top Bottom