What's new

From DE to

I received my first straight razor today--a "Spike" vintage. I ordered it as a "sight unseen" mystery straight from Larry at Whipped Dog, and it came shave ready. Looked all shiny, sharp and ready to go.

I lathered up some Tabac and got down to business. I had about 2 days growth on my face. The first "pass" was pretty tough. I took short strokes due to some tugging, but I attribute this to the length of the stubble and the technique of a beginner. Stretching the skin helped get me going in the right direction along with locking my shoulder, and to an extent my elbow, in place to help with maintaining blade angle. With my cheeks and most of my chin and mustache area done, the lather started drying out, so it was time for a re-lather.

I checked to see how the shave was coming along. I had missed quite a few whiskers, but my face was in tact and there was no blood. Lathered back up and shaved the cheeks again, this time with much greater ease, and then my mustache area and chin. Chin whiskers were stubborn. I found that short strokes worked the best. The neck area was particularly difficult for me. I had a hard time getting to some concave areas on the left and right sides of my lower neck. I think I can fix that next time if I stick my neck out like a giraffe to flatten the skin.

I did have to touch up the area right under my nose and some areas of my neck with a Tech. I noticed my skin was starting to get a little irritated on my neck and I have a couple red bumps on the jawline/upper neck area so I put the straight away. Aftershave burned a lot more than usual.

All in all, it was an experience. Shaving with a straight is much more difficult than I imagined. I also noticed that I have been getting complacent with my DE shaves. I don't even have to try and I can get cleaned up in 1 pass with ease and little to no thought. If I slow down and make a conscious effort, I'm sure I can get the hang of straights with time.

Since I'm just starting, I may just try this on a Saturday or Sunday morning. It took me about 30-45 minutes to complete this first shave, including stropping, oiling etc. I don't mind taking the time as a night shaver, but I don't want to get a lot of ingrown hairs or irritation in quick succession. If the bumps clear up by tomorrow or Friday, I may give it another go. I also should probably use my left hand to shave more often. I relied on my right almost entirely.

$puzglue.PNG

Great job! Sounds like you did very well with your first shave and you did it up right with getting a honed up shave ready razor. You will get the time down and the results will improve along with your technique.

Keep it up and consider starting a journal in that section of the forums. Reading some of the other members forums can give you tips and can let you know that others have experienced the same struggles or issues that you have.

Great job! Sounds like you did very well with your first shave and you did it up right with getting a honed up shave ready razor. You will get the time down and the results will improve along with your technique.

Keep it up and consider starting a journal in that section of the forums. Reading some of the other members forums can give you tips and can let you know that others have experienced the same struggles or issues that you have.
What an idiot I am - this is your journal....[emoji53] forgot what sub-forum I was in.

What an idiot I am - this is your journal....[emoji53] forgot what sub-forum I was in.

haha!

Thank you for the encouragement. I think if I spend more time on prep, things will probably go better. The DE blades are so sharp that I never really needed much, and it actually caused more damage if my skin was too wet. That's my theory anyway.

Looking forward to giving it another shot, perhaps tomorrow if the ingrowns or whatever I got tonight heal up well.

Decided to give it another go today after work.

Much easier shave. I washed my face and used hot water (I use cold for DE). I made sure my beard was well hydrated this time. Made more of a conscious effort to stretch the skin. Used my left hand on my left side.

The only thing that went wrong was me nicking my ear lobe with the toe. It was very minor. I just need to work on my coordination a bit with my left hand.

Actually using my left in some ways seemed easier. Less muscle memory to re-train.

I also think I may be using too light of a touch. Need enough pressure to keep that blade to the skin.

SAS shave. No touch ups with a DE. The underside of my chin could use a touch up, but I'm not too worried about it. By the time I noticed, I had already applied aftershave.

This journal may come to a close pretty soon, at least until there is a need for blade maintenance.

3rd shave went well. I wish I had a little more control with my left hand around my neck area, but all in all, good shave and no damage!

After a few more shaves, I did start to get a little irritation on my cheek. The area around my mouth is sensitive. Taking a few days off off of straight shaving. I think I may try some oil to help moisturize the skin before shaving. It's been so dry this winter.

You are making progress - which is very good. I am 23 shaves in and have a lot of difficulty with my right hand (lefty). It is not a race so taking a break or mixing it up is a good thing if that's what makes sense for you.

A sharp edge helps and having the spine edge about a spine width from your skin.

Good luck with your shaves.

Pete

You are making progress - which is very good. I am 23 shaves in and have a lot of difficulty with my right hand (lefty). It is not a race so taking a break or mixing it up is a good thing if that's what makes sense for you.

A sharp edge helps and having the spine edge about a spine width from your skin.

Good luck with your shaves.

Pete

I think you're right about the sharpness. I'm starting to wonder if I have dulled the blade a bit with poor stropping technique, etc. I noticed my straight doesn't pass the hanging hair test nearly as well as a DE blade.

Tried using pasted balsa, and that helped bring the edge back a bit. I still get a little irritation my left cheek. It's not that noticeable, just a few little bumps. They go away pretty fast. It's probably just my left hand and poor technique in that spot.

I think I'll stick with straights for a Sunday or Saturday shave, but at this time I'm sticking to my Tech for the majority of shaves.

I sort of want to jump off the deep end and start honing, but I don't really wanna spend the money on stones... yet!

I think you're right about the sharpness. I'm starting to wonder if I have dulled the blade a bit with poor stropping technique, etc. I noticed my straight doesn't pass the hanging hair test nearly as well as a DE blade.

Tried using pasted balsa, and that helped bring the edge back a bit. I still get a little irritation my left cheek. It's not that noticeable, just a few little bumps. They go away pretty fast. It's probably just my left hand and poor technique in that spot.

I think I'll stick with straights for a Sunday or Saturday shave, but at this time I'm sticking to my Tech for the majority of shaves.

I sort of want to jump off the deep end and start honing, but I don't really wanna spend the money on stones... yet!

Hey Joshua - look up a post on lapping film by Slash McCoy - also on the use of the pasted balsa strop. I am using inexpensive lapping film and it has helped and it is really inexpensive compared to getting synthetic stones of various grit or natural stones. I had a $12 ebay special strop and it was hurting my edges - made one and it is worlds better. I have a shave journal that you may want to check out - you are not alone, and progress is made incrementally. It will get easier and more natural - I am only 33 in and it is better already. Keep at it!

It is very frustrating when you do not know if you have a sharp enough blade combined with learning technique (pressure/blade angle/etc.). I am just getting there with HHT and good results - but I was wondering what the hell I was doing up until this week.

Seriously - skim over that lapping film - and watch Slash McCoy's lapping film video series - 3 parts - very very good to ease the uncertainty of using the films.

Hey Joshua - look up a post on lapping film by Slash McCoy - also on the use of the pasted balsa strop. I am using inexpensive lapping film and it has helped and it is really inexpensive compared to getting synthetic stones of various grit or natural stones. I had a $12 ebay special strop and it was hurting my edges - made one and it is worlds better. I have a shave journal that you may want to check out - you are not alone, and progress is made incrementally. It will get easier and more natural - I am only 33 in and it is better already. Keep at it!

It is very frustrating when you do not know if you have a sharp enough blade combined with learning technique (pressure/blade angle/etc.). I am just getting there with HHT and good results - but I was wondering what the hell I was doing up until this week.

Seriously - skim over that lapping film - and watch Slash McCoy's lapping film video series - 3 parts - very very good to ease the uncertainty of using the films.

Thanks for the info! Will have look into this stuff over the weekend.

Top Bottom