What's new

From creams to soaps?

I'm sure this forum gets this question at least once a week, but I looked back a couple of pages and didn't see anything so here goes:

Right now I'm an exclusive shave cream user and have been curious about the possible greener grass across the street in the world of shaving soaps. Are there any of you who used creams exclusively and then switched to soaps? If so why? For those of you who may alternate back and forth, what makes you continue to use creams? I have a sample of Col. Conk bay rum that came in a little wedge from a primarily TOBS shavingessentials.net sampler, and was contemplating cutting off a slice. Would this be a good beginner soap? In addition, do any merchants send off soap samplers, or could someone recommend a couple of soaps to get for a quick survey? I think that's enough questions for now. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading. Best, -Bob

I switch between creams and some soaps. I've found that I prefer creams to soaps - usually the fragrance is more noticeable in creams as compared to soaps. Another plus is that creams are much easier to build lather with - lots of soaps are a little "finicky" with water ratios and water types.

My favorite soaps are 1. Wilkinson's Shave Stick - it has tallow and lanolin. I just love the old school scent. Another favorite soap is Institut Karite - it has a lot of shea butter in it - it has a very mild, clean scent and is very moisturizing.

One soap that gets a lot of attention here is Tabac. It's a tallow-based soap that's very easy to build a lather with. The lather itself is very cushiony and rich with lots of protection - very similar to a cream. The only downside for some guys is the scent - it's strong and cologne-based. Some guys love it some absolutely don't. I'm very sensitive to scents so I use it very irregularly. If I could deal with the scent, it would be my everyday soap to be honest.

As for the Col Conk - I haven't used it myself, but a lot of guys love that line of glycerine based soaps. Some guys are sensitive to Bay Rum soaps, though - myself included.

I'm sure this forum gets this question at least once a week, but I looked back a couple of pages and didn't see anything so here goes:

Right now I'm an exclusive shave cream user and have been curious about the possible greener grass across the street in the world of shaving soaps. Are there any of you who used creams exclusively and then switched to soaps? If so why? For those of you who may alternate back and forth, what makes you continue to use creams? I have a sample of Col. Conk bay rum that came in a little wedge from a primarily TOBS shavingessentials.net sampler, and was contemplating cutting off a slice. Would this be a good beginner soap? In addition, do any merchants send off soap samplers, or could someone recommend a couple of soaps to get for a quick survey? I think that's enough questions for now. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading. Best, -Bob

Right now I'm an exclusive shave cream user and have been curious about the possible greener grass across the street in the world of shaving soaps.
Shaving soaps are chemically very similar to creams. There is nothing in them which makes them 'magical' or 'completely different'. Not even tallow, despite what the tallow lovers will say. You shouldn't think of the (chemical) soaps as 'cream' and 'soap', but rather as 'product' which happens to be 'soft' as in a cream or 'malleable' in a soft soap or 'hard' in a hard tablet.

Reread that last sentence, please. And again for good measure.

That said, because soaps are hard, manufacturers can utilise slightly different compounds resulting in products which tend to have a slightly different range of lathering, slickness, and moisturisation parameters than creams. Some people like this, others do not. This is truly a YMMV-thing, which also has to do with your beard as well as shaving technique. It does not mean that soaps are inherently better than creams or vice versa: anyone claiming otherwise is full of equestrial scatology.

There are a few main classes: tallow, glycerin, vegetable, and a special subclass soft & malleable. Some produce thin lather, others very thick and fat, some are in between, and so forth---just as with creams, really.

So basically: dive in and enjoy; you've ignored one half of shaving products to date! Expect to become afflicted with another bout of AD. Good starting soaps? You'll probably want soaps which are easy to lather---this is a bit tricker than with creams---but fortunately most are. It's easier to tell you which soaps not to try: I'd recommend against MWF and very expensive soaps. MWF is too wily, and expensive soaps are just an unnecessary drain on your finances at this point. There are other 'hmhm' cases, but these are not readily available.

I started out using only creams and found that shifting after about six months.

For the past year, I've used mostly soaps (for the past six month, I was only using one soap).

Once you get the hang of soaps, it's just easier. Though I do enjoy whipping up a nice lather with a good shave cream from time to time (Trumper's Rose Cream is amazing).

Can't speak to Col. Conk soaps. Have never tried them. I think a good starter soap for almost anyone is any of Mama Bear's glycerine soaps.

Some people like the tallow-based. I don't find anything particularly grand about them one way or the other. But enjoy the occasional shave with Mitchell's Wool Fat.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I use creams and soaps at the moment. I prefer soaps, it gives me a better cushion when I shave. Also, a soap will last longer than a cream. Col. Conk is good but I do not like the smell to start with. However, a disliked scent could be in a soap or cream, as you know, YMMV!

I use both creams and soaps because I like variety. I love the Cyril Salter creams for their cushion, scent, moisturizing qualities and laterability. They simply cannot be beat. On the other hand, I really love my Tabac soap. The lather explodes and is both cushioning and slick which always results in a BBS shave. Why limit yourself to one or the other?

I also use both, soaps slightly more, but will never convert solely to one or the other. I like the variety and choices. Soaps will generally last longer and find the slickest most cushioned shaves from tallow soaps. Dive in and try some. As for the Conks I have tried Amber and Almond. Amber works OK but has a very boring scent IMO. Good for super lather. Now almond is awesome. Great scent and works very well. I will always have some Conks almond on hand.

I use both soaps and creams. I will add another Tabac endorsement. I also use QED Lime and Orange soaps (have used others but these are my favorites). I ahve used the Conks and they are good soaps but I dislike the aromas. I have used a bunch of other soaps as well but the three mentioned above are good for a start.

I have always used both creams and soaps and will continue to do so. I love Mitchell's Wool Fat as much as SMN Crema da Barba, Tabac as much as Musgo Real.

I use both creams and soaps...mostly soap but change around randomly. (I use to only use soap until I discovered B&B).

I have Col Conk Lime and fine it gives me a good shave, nice easy to build lather but is very very weak in the scent department. A good soap but not one I would go too far out of my way to replace when it runs dry.

I would definately explore the world of soaps though...my hands down favorite is Pre de Provence....well worth a go. I have Tabac on my list of needs too.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I didn't even know that shaving creams are the same as saving soaps when one considers their composition. I had always figured that since most bath soaps always left my face feeling dry after I washed with them, I didn't want to try making a lather out of something called 'shaving soap' in fear that I'd probably end with the same result.

It's interesting to hear some of you say that you get a better cushion from soap lather. I definitely need to get on this wagon. What would be a good first entry into the tallow based regime? Or how about what was your first soap and do you still use it today, or something else? Best, -Bob

I suggest try the VDH soap first. Its readily available, inexpensive and easy to lather.

Em's also makes a nice line of glycerine soaps that lathers well and provides nice skincare.

Top Bottom