What's new

From Cartridge and can to Straight

So after showing off my razors and the scales I made for them, my father prompted me with "oooh I want one." So I decided I would use him as motivation (and a valid excuse with the mrs.) to finish my GD Mod by fathers day. However, he is going from disposable cartridges and shaving gel in a can, so he has nothing. That means I can be a ***** and just give him a razor that he has to buy all his own accessories, or I need to buy him everything.

I found WCS has a complete kit including a razor for $170, minus the 10% for the first order. Pricing out everything individually this seems like a very good deal. But I'm not sure what sort of quality everything is. This would also benefit me as I currently only have GD's and nothing to compare them to. I was planning on giving him a second razor anyways since I'm modding him a slant point, which I don't like the idea of a completely inexperienced person taking to their neck. Also if I buy him this package I would likely give him a scrap leather to practice stropping on so he doesn't ruin a nice strop right away.

Alternatively, Classic Shaving (and many other places) have the Gold Dollar package which has everything in it. This is significantly cheaper and since I'm not sure how involved he is actually going to get with it or if its just the idea of being a badass with a straight razor, might be the better option. But I'm not sure if the strop/brush that comes with one of these are even worth the extra money for a GD. This also doesn't give me any point of reference to learn from so it's less beneficial to my progress, but that's not really the point of the gift, just an added bonus of the first package.

And if neither of those were good options, I figured I would go with a Tony Miller or WhippedDog strop and brush and bowl off amazon and just hone an extra GD for him to start with. Or buy a vintage razor from a trustworthy source.

I'm in sort of an awkward spot because I only have a cheap brush and bowl, and a leather belt and scrap leather as a strop. By the time I gift him, he will be better of than I will, and I will have only slightly more experience than he. So any input from would be greatly appreciated.

First, you're a good son. Most of us didn't really learn from our fathers how to have, but we were handed a razor and a can of goo and were told to figure it out and to stop looking like a hippy. I think it is really cool to be teaching your father how to shave the traditional way. Good on you for making the attempt.

As far as the kit goes, can I suggest first that you buy him and yourself a poor mans strop from whippeddog.com, for cheap, you can upgrade your current setup and provide your father all he will need. Larry provides a fantastic service for those starting out. He used to provide sight unseen straight razors on the cheap, but I'm not sure he still does. I would suggest that you pick up a nice vintage on the cheap and send it over to Larry or Alfredo @Doc226 for a quality honing. Check the Buy Sell Trade section of the forum and I'm fairly certain you will find a straight razor in your price range which is being sold by another member. OR better yet, place a WTB, Want to Buy ad on the BST for a razor for fathers day and tell them what your budget is.
Now for the brush, I have found that West Coast Shaving has some fantastic brushes at a great price. The
WCS Tortoiseshell Collection Torch Shaving Brush, Silvertip is a great option, one which I own. It is close to $50 but in my experience, it is a solid brush with soft tips. Another option which is a bit cheaper, but is built really well is the Semogue 610 or 620. This is a fantastic mostly broken in, classic boar brush, from Portugal. It can be found online easily for around $20 and it breaks in quickly with no nasty stink or shedding that some boars experience.
Bowls, who needs bowls? They are an added expense and most experienced wet shavers eventually shed the use of their old bowl in order to save their counter space for more Aftershaves, soaps, and razors. Face lathering is faster and a better use of your time than wasting that preshave face prep on a piece of ceramic which you wont be shaving. Face lathering softens those bristles and preps you for a great shave. If you are really into bowls, pick one up at the dollar store and keep it on the cheap side.
Starting with a proven cream or soap is a good way to get him going too! Proraso or C.O. Bigelow which are both the same products are easy to find online for fairly cheap, or you can walk into any Bath and Body Works and pick up a tube or three if they are on sale. As far as a soap goes, a puck of Tabac, Fine Accoutrements, or and Arko, Palmolive, or Speick shaving stick would be a great way to start.
Aftershaves are my favorite, but you don't have to go crazy! Keep it old school, Pinaud has a ton of products that have really stood the test of time and they are fairly inexpensive! Also, Skin Bracer and Aqua Velva are both fantastic and in inexpensive.
I hope that touches all the bases. I think you should be about to keep your budget under $100 give or take and set him up with a great kit if you piece it together as opposed to buying everything in a kit. Best wishes to you and good luck with the Mod competition and to you lucky Dad.

Best wishes,
Matt

Great idea to do that for your dad.
If it was me I’d give him some nice smelling soap like TOBS Sandalwood, a stiff boar brush, some Proraso Green aftershave, a razor from his birth era and a gold dollar as a second razor. I’d get him a 3 inch wide strop, a nice brass hook, some lapping film and an acrylic block. Plus a wooden box to store the block films and razors.
Probably less than £150 for the lot.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Google or search on amazon or fleabay for "the x bay 2-1/2 x 23 strop". Less than $9 and nowhere near a TM plain vanilla, but it does work better than a scrap piece of leather, and is cheap enough to be expendable. A good strop to make one's newbie mistakes on. After learning on that, the first "proper" strop will be a dream to use. I have been experimenting with using beeswax and neat's foot oil to improve the draw on these super cheap but sort of practical Pakistani strops. The beeswax shows promise. I think if I use it more often it will wear in nicely.

I am a big fan of inexpensive silvertip badger brushes of generous size, and Larry has some that are pretty cheap up to 30mm, my favorite size. Way softer than even the most well broken in boar. I don't care for the prickly feel though I will say a boar picks up hard soap a lot faster than badger. Badger holds a lot more water and product though. Virginia Sheng is a few dollars cheaper, from China, found on the bay. It can take up to three weeks to arrive, though. The Whipped Dog brush will get to you a lot faster! You can go down to say 26mm and save a few bucks. I personally do not like small brushes but I suppose they do have their fans, as do boars.

I did this same thing about a year ago. I gave my dad 3 razors and all the stuff needed. After a few months, he sent 2 razors back. He said it was a good idea but he will just keep using the electric. I tried.

Just got started down this awesome rabbit hole. I started with a box set from Art Of Straight Razor Shaving
Since then I've gotten a complete set of synthetic honing stones, and 6 more straights. I still use the King Author Gold I got from the first kit. But, I must admit I love my Filarmonica and Portland [Kent Inglewood]

Top Bottom