What's new

From badger to boar

Hello gentlemen I wanted to share new ideas and likes and changes with you guys. First let me say I been wet shaving for several years now and I have reaped a harvest of knowledge from you guys and I appreciate all your help. I started out with a boar hair brush, actually a SOC Semogue and a lack of knowledge of boar hair quickly sent me to badger. I couldn't get the boar to act right and not giving it proper time to break in from my lack of patience. I took a trip through all the top shelf badger brushes all the while in the back of my mind still liking the idea of boar better but I was having great success with all my new badger brushes so no need to transition back. Years went by and one day I decided to try a boar from Omega, I stayed safe and bought a cheap one so it wouldn't be such a loss if I didn't like it. I bought the Omega 10066 actually and straight out of the box had a great shave after cleaning the brush. It was what I wanted from a boar, I put my Badgers aside and only used the boar for several months and then I bought another boar from Omega, a green Jade handle with the premium knot offered Omegas 011842. This brush was awesome as well with a great resin handle instead of plastic like the other Omega. Time went on and I wondered about the SOC I had given up on. So as you know yes I bought another one. This took more break in time but paid well once broken in. I've been using exclusively only boar for awhile now and I'm really enjoying what I actually wanted in the beginning. I have nothing against badger, I just like and now prefer boar. So for some of you guys who started with boar or badger and ended up going another direction as most of us do after a few years it might pay to revisit the other if you're still curious.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I like boars and synths exclusively myself. I am reknotting a badger brush with a boar after the first of the year. There’s just nothing better in my opinion.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

I like all types of brushes, but I always romanticize boar brushes as 'working man' brushes, and thus, they will always remain my favorite. They are also very 'direct', meaning a rough brush will feel rough before it has time to irritate your face. A badger CAN feel soft as a pillow and end up giving you the dreaded 'badger-burn' by the time you've finished lathering up (for us face-latherers). It's not an overgeneralization, but a possibility which I haven't found to be true with boar brushes.

Yes, the Semogue Owners Cub (SOC) boar brushes are very capable once one has gotten used to them and takes the three minutes to soak them before a shave.

Travelling around Europe, I noticed that around the Mediterranean shavers prefer boar brushes, while further up North badger is the brush of choice.
Professional barbers also seem to use boar brushes most of the time.

Be that as it may, I quite like my SOC brushes no matter whether they are boar or badger.

B

I have Zenith Manchurian.
Will try the boar.
Which model you suggesting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Zenith Manchurian.
Will try the boar.
Which model you suggesting?

Model B28 with 28mm knot 57mm loft. It is pretty thick dense knot with finer bristles than Omega. It started splitting by first shave and went on to become lather monster by end of 15 days. As face latherer I find the loft just ideal for my liking. However the copper handle is solid and at 120 gram I find it bit heavy.
And B27 with 28x55. Shorter loft, similar to Omega premium resin handle but with denser knot. Total weight about 80 grams.

Hello gentlemen I wanted to share new ideas and likes and changes with you guys. First let me say I been wet shaving for several years now and I have reaped a harvest of knowledge from you guys and I appreciate all your help. I started out with a boar hair brush, actually a SOC Semogue and a lack of knowledge of boar hair quickly sent me to badger. I couldn't get the boar to act right and not giving it proper time to break in from my lack of patience. I took a trip through all the top shelf badger brushes all the while in the back of my mind still liking the idea of boar better but I was having great success with all my new badger brushes so no need to transition back. Years went by and one day I decided to try a boar from Omega, I stayed safe and bought a cheap one so it wouldn't be such a loss if I didn't like it. I bought the Omega 10066 actually and straight out of the box had a great shave after cleaning the brush. It was what I wanted from a boar, I put my Badgers aside and only used the boar for several months and then I bought another boar from Omega, a green Jade handle with the premium knot offered Omegas 011842. This brush was awesome as well with a great resin handle instead of plastic like the other Omega. Time went on and I wondered about the SOC I had given up on. So as you know yes I bought another one. This took more break in time but paid well once broken in. I've been using exclusively only boar for awhile now and I'm really enjoying what I actually wanted in the beginning. I have nothing against badger, I just like and now prefer boar. So for some of you guys who started with boar or badger and ended up going another direction as most of us do after a few years it might pay to revisit the other if you're still curious.

Great story!

I went in the opposite direction. I started with boars and enjoyed them, especially during my time with straights. Then I tried some of the ‘better’ badger brushes. These days I am down to only one boar.

The main thing is to figure out what works best for yourself! And, especially, to ENJOY THE JOURNEY!!

I enjoy boars very much. My other go to is black badger. Holds great heat, but nice backbone and skritch.

Anything above a pure is far too soft for my liking, including synthetics.

Great to hear! I think any brush can suit one's needs but boars are definitely a pleasure to use.

In some cases, I feel that boars are softer than some badgers. I do find it a bit more difficult to use at times because boars can eat up the lather for days. But the face feel of a boar is incomparable as it is really unique. That's why I keep all kinds of bristles and rotate between them.

I have a Proraso Pro. How it compare?

It's one of the best boar brushes in my opinion, once it's broken in. It's denser than a pro 48/49 and has a shorter loft (if i'm not mistaken), resulting in more backbone.

It's one of the best boar brushes in my opinion, once it's broken in. It's denser than a pro 48/49 and has a shorter loft (if i'm not mistaken), resulting in more backbone.
@Felix G Yup, Proraso Pro is just a re-branded Omega 48 but with lower loft. Worked well for me but I cant say it had denser knot than Omega, to me it was just same knot just sat a little deeper.

I actually prefer cheaper boars myself. Ive owned a couple Semogue OC brushes and they seem to be lather hogs. Ive owned some cheaper Semogues and Omegas that perform like a dream. One of my favorite boars ever is an Omega with a cheap plastic handle that is only a 21mm brush but is almost as soft as a badger and lathers like a dream.

I love them all. the biggest take away for me using the different types is that they each require a different loading technique for my favored soaps (hard puck.) these all have their different visual characteristics and appeal to the soul.

20191228_223345.jpg

the Semogue 1305 is an iconic look for that brand. the cream and green colors just work for me. Yaqi on the other hand, has some strikingly beautiful color options.

camo

Top Bottom