What's new

From badger to boar

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I will have to check my den to see if I still have my SOC. It’s legitimately been that long since I used it, I don’t remember if I sold it or gave it away. I am in love with my Aluminum handled Zenith brushes, one with a short loft and one with a longer one. I’m not always patient enough to soak them while I shower so I usually use badger but when I take the time to prep them they seem to give me a superior quality of lather somehow.

Hello gentlemen I wanted to share new ideas and likes and changes with you guys. First let me say I been wet shaving for several years now and I have reaped a harvest of knowledge from you guys and I appreciate all your help. have nothing against badger, I just like and now prefer boar. So for some of you guys who started with boar or badger and ended up going another direction as most of us do after a few years it might pay to revisit the other if you're still curious.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

im with you. I like the exfoliating effects of a boar. I have one Omega and a Thate. Glad you starter this thread.

I like the combination brushes. I have one badger/boar and the other is horsehair/boar. Just enough scrub and softness.

Guys your mentioning Zenith boars and Proraso Pros but I cant source them. Any ideas?

I copped my Zenith B28 from here:

The Proraso labeled Omega 48 can be found on Amazon. Gotta say that they are great brushes, but I still reach for my Semogue SOCs the most.

I started with boars like yourself, then tried in vain to find a synthetic that I liked, then detoured a little further from the path with a few well regarded badgers and am right back where I started with boars. While I find badgers and synths to make the quickest lathers, the feel of a broken-in boar is apart from the rest, by a large margin. Since a great boar feels so good to use, I don't mind the extra effort, especially when we're talking seconds here.

Yes Sir, same way I feel BudgetShaverGuy

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I like boar and badgers. Sometimes one over the other.

12-4-19.PipeRazor.DB.Jade.Kit.640.JPG

Best boar. Jade from Connaught. Omega.

12-5-19.Torrey136.DB.Zenith.Copper.Manchurian.640.JPG

Favorite brush. Zenith Manchurian.

2-20-19.Mondial.Boars.Two.2.640.JPG

Maybe my favorite boars. Mondial (look on eBay).

Happy shaves,

Jim

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I like them all. I think the Semogue SOC boar might be the best scuttle/bowl brush available, although my current favorite is an SOC TSN LE.

For face lathering I much prefer the SOC badger.

For pure luxury it's the Kent BK8.

Switching from synthetics and badgers to a boar seems like a downgrade to me. It does depend on the badger brush you choose though. I started out with a terrible Nom Best Badger brush I then bought an Omega 80080 Boar. That was definitely an upgrade.

Last edited:
I started out using badger brushes because it seemed to be what everyone used. None of my badger brushes ever had the backbone I wanted so I decided to try boar. Right now I have Semogue 1305, SOC, and TSN LE in boar. My silvertip Rooney 1/2 hasn’t had much use lately.

Resurrecting this thread. Hope all are healthy and safe. I’m trying to source a Thater boar brush at the moment, but the search is few and far between. I can’t seem to find one and Mongoose does not have them in stock. May have to go with Omega or something similar.
Any ideas for the Thater Boar?
My Thanks,
~Bill

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Resurrecting this thread. Hope all are healthy and safe. I’m trying to source a Thater boar brush at the moment, but the search is few and far between. I can’t seem to find one and Mongoose does not have them in stock. May have to go with Omega or something similar.
Any ideas for the Thater Boar?
My Thanks,
~Bill

Why do you want the Thater boar in particular? What do you want in a boar?

There was an issue some defective Thater boars a while back. Something with the knot glue, I think Bullgoose sold their last inventory at 50% off, no returns. That being said, I have two from before the defect issue that work well for me, albeit they are not broken in yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom