What's new

Frito Pie

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I think Anthony Bourdain's assessment of the Five & Dime in New Mexico was correct. He said let the Texans make the chili.

No truer words were ever spoken.

SWMBO and I are having a disagreement on how the bags need to be sliced open. I always had them split down the middle like in your first picture so they would lay flat on the table and she said that she always had them split on the side like in your second picture so you could hold it in your hand better.

Thanks for the family discord Aaron...at least SWMBO and I agree that chili has no beans. :biggrin1:

My wife asked to make Frito pie after showing this thread to her. I can already taste it. Dang it all, I'm hungry again and I'm getting ready to go to bed.

This thread was making me hungry. I had chili today for lunch, so I went to the snack machine and got a bag of Fritos.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453915921.284692.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
[MENTION=1244]Edcculus[/MENTION]

Oh man that looks good. Fritos mixed with chili is a soft, crunchy savory thing that must be obeyed.

I've been living in Texas for over 20 years now...moved from the Philly area. Frito Pie has always been around...when we lived in Odessa you could get it at the concession stands at the high school football games...one daughter went to Odessa High, the other went to Permian (Friday Night Lights)....Heck there were plenty of nights when the girls were young that we'd have it home for dinner...I like it with cheese, onions and jalapenos...maybe even a shot of sour cream!!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
YOU CAD YOU!!!

Now I'm gonna have to make some of my San Antone chili and pick up some Negra Modelo...that's one of my favorite beers while in Mexico.

And make some homemade corn tortilias and make chips outa them.

South Point HS sells them at the concession stands during the football games. The hot dog chili was not the best, but passed. I always brought some chopped jalapenos and hot sauce.

Fritos are hardly fit to eat, but add cheap canned chili, cheese, raw onion, jalapenos, and maybe a shot of mustard and it just all works. It ain't high living, its stick to you ribs and take you back to childhood food.

This is something that I have never had and it does sound interesting. Fritos are so salty to begin with, though, once you add cheese, chili, etc. . . How salty does it get? I'm not saying that I'm not going to try it. :thumbup1:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
This is something that I have never had and it does sound interesting. Fritos are so salty to begin with, though, once you add cheese, chili, etc. . . How salty does it get? I'm not saying that I'm not going to try it. :thumbup1:

We bought the "lightly" salted Frito's. Plus, we use very little salt in our chili. Does that help?

Last edited:
I generally don't eat Fritos and was not aware that they had a lightly salted version. But to answer your question, Aaron, I will be trying this very soon!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

I'm just floored, amazed, and discombobulated at the posts of people that have never had a frito pie in 'Merica.

That's like someone saying they've never had a hot dog or a hamburger. :001_huh:

Amazing...just amazing.

I'm just floored, amazed, and discombobulated at the posts of people that have never had a frito pie in 'Merica.

That's like someone saying they've never had a hot dog or a hamburger. :001_huh:

Amazing...just amazing.

To blow your mind even more, Mike, I had never heard of it until this thread. :surrender:

Amazing...just amazing.

If you think about it Frito Pie is something put together with very cheap and ready ingredients. and I think it is a regional thing. In Texas and many parts of the west Frito pie is poor man's food. Fritos USED to be dirt cheap, and chili ingredients were cheap too.

Where I grew up and where I live now Frito Pie is almost unheard of. We have these instead

proxy.php

Navajo Tacos mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Invented by a Greek Hotel owner in Window Rock out of left over chili and fry bread.

Top Bottom