What's new

Frito Pie

$eqgwmgvyfislbzytauyb.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've never seen the presentation from the OP in the Frito bag before.

That's the way a lot of places would serve them...lay the small bag on the counter and smash the chips up a bit, then slit the bag open and ladle on the chili then sprinkle on the onions and cheese. Mustard was optional.

Definitely an American classic.

There was a Woolworth's (now locally owned and called "The Five and Dime") on the Plaza in Santa Fe, NM that was (is) famous for these.

Here is a short video:

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like cleanshaved just has standard corn tortilla chips that are good for dipping in salsa or for nachos. While Friitos are corn chips, I'm pretty sure there's some proprietary flavoring added (even in just Original flavor); I don't think the taste effect will be the same without real Fritos.

I've tried to find them and the one store in NZ that had them said out of stock. It appears they're called Fritos Ribbons in South Africa and there are some South African places in NZ that have them, but they are all extra flavors and not just Original.

Hard to get there. Good luck.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I actually prefer it with real corn chips in place of Fritos. Fritos are processed with too much junk, and are way overpriced.

Never heard of or seen such a thing, but my mom used to make something similar for us for dinner sometimes. We would put Fritos on our plate. She made a chili-esque topping with ground beef (no beans). We would top our Fritos with the ground beef chili, grated cheddar, plus/minus grated iceberg lettuce and chopped tomatoes, with hot sauce optional.

Everybody always started with the Fritos then added the sauce and then put the cheese on top, but I always put the cheese onto the Fritos and THEN added the sauce. This made sure that the cheese all melted nicely and made it taste better (IMHO).

I think one could do the same even if eating it out of the bag; why not add the cheese first? Trust me, it's better that way.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Never heard of or seen such a thing, but my mom used to make something similar for us for dinner sometimes. We would put Fritos on our plate. She made a chili-esque topping with ground beef (no beans). We would top our Fritos with the ground beef chili, grated cheddar, plus/minus grated iceberg lettuce and chopped tomatoes, with hot sauce optional.

Everybody always started with the Fritos then added the sauce and then put the cheese on top, but I always put the cheese onto the Fritos and THEN added the sauce. This made sure that the cheese all melted nicely and made it taste better (IMHO).

I think one could do the same even if eating it out of the bag; why not add the cheese first? Trust me, it's better that way.
I always heard that (along with onions) called haystacks. Oh, and hot sauce is never optional :biggrin:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Never heard of or seen such a thing

Amazing...just amazing. Wife says if it doesn't have onions and cheese on it it's not a frito pie.

There's a greasy spoon here that serves one on a platter that looks like it has three or four individual bags worth of fritos on it covered in chili (knowing the lady that owns the restaurant I'm sure it's Wolf brand). The waitress always asks if you want onion and cheese and I say YESSS...and also ask for some mustard. I can't eat the whole thing but it sure is good in cold weather.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I don't have any chili made or in the freezer and don't have any Fritos. I'm Frito Pieless.

Just run down to the store and grab a bag of Fritos and a can of Wolf brand chili. :biggrin1:

I had a nice Frytoe pie for lunch today...even with SWMBO's chili soup it was good.

The video of the Five and Dime in Santa Fe lost my interest when they said they had beans in the chili...and no onions and cheese.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Just run down to the store and grab a bag of Fritos and a can of Wolf brand chili. :biggrin1:

I had a nice Frytoe pie for lunch today...even with SWMBO's chili soup it was good.

The video of the Five and Dime in Santa Fe lost my interest when they said they had beans in the chili...and no onions and cheese.

I think Anthony Bourdain's assessment of the Five & Dime in New Mexico was correct. He said let the Texans make the chili.

Top Bottom