What's new

Friodur or Revisor ?

Hi all :)

I realize that I like big straights.
I do hesitate between the Henckels Friodur 17 and the Revisor 8/8.
Please could you give me your advices ?
I'd like to get the Fila 14 but this one is really more expensive...

There is no absolute truth when it comes to razor preferences, just opinions and taste. However quality, still being subjective, is a more objective measure. I don't have a 8/8 revisor, only one 6/8. I'd classify it as about equal to Dovo razors; a fine razor with a bit of heavier grind that I had expected being sold as full hollow. Given the price it was a bargain.

All the razors in my Henckel collection (including one 17) are of the highest quality and truly fantastic shavers. That goes especially for the post war Friodur series. So if I was to chose between the two I'd definitely pick the Friodur, but if I had the budget for it I'd buy the Revisor too.

I have a both 7/8" Revisor and a 7/8” Friodur (72 1/2) in my regular rotation. Both were bought used (FleaBay) and neither were shave ready.

Both are excellent razors. And I get great BBS shaves from both.

Both are easy to hone (I've used synthetics and coticules) and neither has signs of geometry issues.

IMHO, the Revisor is more "fun" in the shave. It seems more "alive" in my hand, but still easy to use and enjoy.

The Friodur, on the other hand, is as close to foolproof as can be. The shave is not at all "exciting" and I always question if the result will be satisfactory. But it is always fantastic.

You can't really go "wrong" with either.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You simply MUST go with the Friodur, because I am pretty sure it's made by characters from the mind of JRR Tolkien!

Another vote for the Friodur 17…just love mine. However, I also have an unnumbered Friodur that’s quite a bit bigger than the 17. It’s probably closer to the Friodur 14 In size.

many votes for the Friodur...
It isn't that the Revisor is a bad buy, it's just that the Friodur series is something very special. I often recommend the 6/8 versions as a good option for a first razor; top quality, fair price and they are extremely easy to shave with.

I have a 7/8 Revisor and about a dozen Friodurs. Potato, patata the biggest difference being the the Friodur is stainless. A plus.

Friodur+1. SS does feel hard, it seems to be able to cut everything. They are also some of the few SRs I can stay in the bathroom.
The edge of my Friodurs stay at 1u, which is perfect for me, smooth and sharp.
If you can advance to 0.1u, it can split the earth.

many votes for the Friodur...
I'll be the contrarian.
I do not like plastic. When I see a beautiful blade dressed in plastic, I always see it as beauty wasted on bad taste, or on practicality.
I do not have any Revisor. Which is strange as I think I have pretty much everything else. It has not been an articulated choice, I just never came across one at the right time.
My Friodur are excellent, but they are awaiting new scales. I do not have that much time to spare, so it might take me a while before I get to them.
However, some Revisor come beautifully scaled, so if I was buying new, that is what I would get.

I don’t have a revisor, just a Friodur 72 1/2 which I got as NOS.
The blade is quite big and very well balanced to the heavy side. I’ve honed mine on Naniwa 12k, lapping films, slates, found shale and most recently on diamond pasted balsa strops, the latter giving edges id never have thought possible. But it hones very well on anything really and holds an excellent edge.
I do a daily 4 pass shave and got 66 shaves from 1 honing on a 1u lapping film before I dropped it and chipped the edge. It was still going strong I reckon it might have made it to 100.
I typically get 10-20 on my other razors before I touch them up.

Top Bottom