What's new

Friodur Inox 89 1/2 Henckels Zwillingswerk

Are these good blades ?

$$_57-7.jpg

I personally would bid this one, or be patient and wait for a nicer one. This guy sells nice blades. I like the 472, larger blade, and pretty spine work. Get a larger blade, they seem to keep their resale value. I follow this guy too. Good luck!
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416186949.021047.jpg

Last edited:
I just contacted the Seller and it's a 4/8 which does seem a tad small so I have to ask how hard to strop and or hone a 4/8, I think the shave would be okay but as I said I have never shaved with a 4/8 and have only been using str8's for about a month.

Some like big blades, some like small blades. You'll never know til you try. At this point, on the other hand, you are still learning and your preferences are likely to change.

Panther308: I purchased a Filli #10 for my gal, it's a 4/8ths stainless razor and I've honed and shaved with it. It wasn't harder to hone than any other razor with no issues, the shave however is something a little different. The blade holds almost no lather so you end up rinsing or wiping often. This is a bother to me but then again I use 6/8ths and larger blades and that's what I'm used to. I find razors this narrow to be very twitchy, as in you really have to be paying attention to your blade angle, it's very easy to let it get too acute. It is also very light and nimble, for some maybe good, others "meh".
I like a more substantial razor and I like some heft, this is a personal thing. I really like Friodur razors and have two 17 1/2s and a 451, they are all stainless and all hone to very keen edges. The 451 is a 5/8ths razor that my gal really likes and the two 17 1/2s are 7/8ths and have served me very well. Stropping these tiny edges is a bit tedious also, very easy to nick a strop with a blade so narrow.
So just a few thoughts from a fellow fan of Friodurs, Hope this helps.
FrankC

I like my JA Henckels Zwillingswerk, is currently my favorite blade, but is is bigger. Usually reviews on the Henckels Friodurs are good.
Here is mine:
$Henckles 42 (3).jpg

After thinking about it I think I am going to pass on this one, the one's I currently have are at 5/8 and above and feel the 4/8 might just be a tad to small.

My grandfather swore by 4/8s razors. I am using his Genco de Roma and like it. 4/8s are nimble and I find I need to take care with the angle. Think of 4/8s as you would a well set up sports car. Fast in the turns, corners tight, but requires a light touch.

I didn' t like them at first ( or I thought so), but then I bought a super cheap vintage solingen that turned out to be an entirely capable shaver. So I figured this would be the cheapest way to experience a friodur.

I have the carbon steel version of the 89 round point and they shave wonderful. They strop and hone like any other razor, only difference is a thinner tang to grip and stainless require more effort to hone than carbon. This 4/8 shave just as efficient and close as larger blade.

I also wanted to pass on this razor as I like my 6/8, but I am very happy to have it in my collection. Let me say this again, any well honed razor will effortlessly cut hydrated whiskers irrespective of size.

9EFA5F59-81E1-4541-A1D8-3DAADF86CBA4.jpeg

Last edited:
I have stainless 4/8, 5/8 and 7/8 Friodurs. They all shave well, but the 4/8 is harder to keep a shallow angle so you just need to pay more attention or it can be rough. Otherwise, they all pop hairs off my arm after stopping and pass a HHT. 5/8 is still the best mix of weight to blade length for me. The 7/8 is an absolute cleaver and much heavier than the others if you want that.

I can't fault any of the Friodurs regardless of size. The blade grinds are all extremely good with even bevels and polish. They easily meet or exceed the modern razors I've used in terms of quality and edge retention.

Top Bottom