What's new

Friodur 451

Picked it up today. Pics are straight from the shop, I have done nothing to this razor. I wouldn't shave with it, but it will take some hairs off the arm.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Now the big question is 'hone it and shave, or trade it?'

That's a great score and definitely a keeper! I am sure you know it's stainless. If you are new to straights I will hone it for free as long as you pay shipping.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I thought it might be a winner just based on the condition in the shop, and some Google searches strengthened the case. This is the first straight I've ever owned, so it was a bit of a gamble. Is the crack in the scale a problem? Is rescaling a good idea or not, since it's got the inlay?

Nice razor. Were it mine?? I'd get in touch with Mr. Gil (Doc226) and see about a rescale job. Hone it and use it. Those are nice blades and deserve to be put to work.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I thought it might be a winner just based on the condition in the shop, and some Google searches strengthened the case. This is the first straight I've ever owned, so it was a bit of a gamble. Is the crack in the scale a problem? Is rescaling a good idea or not, since it's got the inlay?

Great score!
Being your first straight, I would take noahpictures up on his offer and let him check it out while he has it. It may be fine the way it is. OTOH, if you really did want to trade it..... (starts looking through my stuff) :lol:

Nice score. That crack is in a bad place if it gets unstable, so a rescale job might be in order if you plan on sticking with SR shaving. Inlays are not much of an issue, they can be lifted, but Ive never done it myself. I use Alfredo aka Doc226 aka Mr. Gil for that stuff. He just finished 8 rescale jobs for me and lifted an inlay off a Revisor and placed it on the new wood scales, www.doc226.com he also produces fantastic edges. However, his work costs money, so Noah's offer of honing simply for postage is a little more budget friendly. Again congrats and welcome to SR shaving.

Top Bottom