What's new

Friodur 17- Thoughts?

Not that I need another razor but these have always caught my attention...Love the size and seem to be in my wheelhouse. Would be interest hear you thoughts. Thank you

I find the friodurs to be good razors. Easy to hone. Easy to maintain.
If you like larger razors then you will like the 17. I do.

I have a 17 .Its a lovely razor with great balance and steel .Takes a wonderful edge . If you like larger straights it would be a great addition to your collection .

I have a Friodur 17 and it is a wonderful shaver
20200402_123612.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I don’t have a 17 but I have a Henckels in 4/8 and one in 9/16 since I prefer small blades but I do have “thoughts” about Henckels - they are excellent razors and take very fine edges.

I find the friodurs to be good razors. Easy to hone. Easy to maintain.
If you like larger razors then you will like the 17. I do.

And that’s the rub.
I have one Friodur 17, but I do prefer my smaller Friodurs and use the 17 only rarely.

I experimented with bigger than 13/16 razors, but my original sweet spot was around 6/8 and- if anything - is now more in the 5/8 to 6/8 range.

And I agree, Friodurs make wonderful razors that put anybody to shame who claims that stainless steel razors are difficult to hone or give harsh shaves.

B.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
You might like this one if you dont alteady own one. Exceptional razors
View attachment 1093198
Oh that is a pretty one indeed and i do have a 4/8. It is actually the razor that turned my head toward small blades. I had just begun buying razors, didn’t read the description and won it. I was so sad I made such a mistake - then I shaved with it and my new love affair began. The rest is history as they say.

I have several Friodurs in multiple sizes. They are my favorite straight razors. All of the ones which are numbered on the tang or shank shave well, hold an edge well, and are easy to hone. I prefer the 5/8, 6/8, and 7/8 widths. The 4/8 width also shaves well and is very nimble, but is more difficult for sensing the skin angle. The wider the blade, the easier it is to sense and hold an angle with the skin, but the wider blades are less nimble. The only Friodurs that I have questioned are the 7/8 blades sold without a stamped number identification and Friodur labeled scales. The Friodur stamp on the shank looks to be deeper and dark while the Friodur stamp on my numbered Friodurs appear shallower and silver. The unnumbered razors may be old stock Friodur blanks made by Henckels, but reground and sold by other than Henckels. I have two of these and have had difficulty honing both of them to a shave ready edge. One of them has also pulled up a skin fold and bit me twice giving me blade length slashes on my cheek each time. Fortunately there was no scaring. This razor evokes images of the katana blades with a reputation of having a thirst for blood. However, a person having greater honing proficiency than me might get a different result.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Keep in mind that there is more than one Friodur ‘17’. There were some blanks finished that were essentially the 14, full hollow and 3-1/2” long or thereabouts, and a shorter heavier version. Just be careful that you know what you’re huying if it makes a difference to you Attached is my 17 with scales by Alfredo, the shorter, heavier version, and a Friodur 14 for comparison.

181692F2-42C7-4547-B1C2-E1B0A4300D8F.jpeg
66F44F85-265A-40CB-8FC0-08CCA64F51DE.jpeg
4F6B9E8B-07A3-4320-A3BD-5D38D2607EAA.jpeg

Top Bottom