What's new

Fried Chicken

I'm not too much of a fried anything lately...unless its in butter...lol.

How do you fry your chicken? Details, pictures and recipes are crucial.

No pics, my stove and surrounding area are a hazmat zone afterwards.

I use chicken thighs just about exclusively now when I fry. Our local chain market butcher sells hand-trimmed ones a buck less per pound (and from regional farmers) than Tyson/Perdue ones. They are great too. Nothing special on the recipe either. I cut the thighs into 2"x2" pieces and use seasoned flour (salt, pepper & Old Bay). Flop the pieces in the flour, then dunk them in buttermilk, and flop them again in flour. Fry them stovetop in 3/8" deep oil in a large high side skillet. Can usually get whole batch in and do them all at once. The thighs are already pretty flat and consistent thickness so by the time each side & edges are golden brown they are nicely cooked through. Never any leftovers on these. Fingers or forks are allowed, BBQ or honey mustard sauce is optional.

Nice thing about thighs is they don't dry out. Because they are so uniform in size and thickness, cook time per side works out to when it looks done, it is done. So it's just a matter of checking the skillet side for color and flipping or removing them when it looks right*. Usually serve them up with dirty mashed golden potatoes (cream, salt, & lots of butter), country gravy with lots of pepper, and something green (asparagus or green beans when in), broccoli the rest of the time. This time of year, a marzen or other late summer beer is perfect with the above. Which reminds me that both Shiner and Narraganset both have marzen style "Fest" beers out now. Am curious, going to track one down this weekend.

*Verify you have a 165° internal temp. My stove heat & timing may not jive with yours.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
No pics, my stove and surrounding area are a hazmat zone afterwards.

I use chicken thighs just about exclusively now when I fry. Our local chain market butcher sells hand-trimmed ones a buck less per pound (and from regional farmers) than Tyson/Perdue ones. They are great too. Nothing special on the recipe either. I cut the thighs into 2"x2" pieces and use seasoned flour (salt, pepper & Old Bay). Flop the pieces in the flour, then dunk them in buttermilk, and flop them again in flour. Fry them stovetop in 3/8" deep oil in a large high side skillet. Can usually get whole batch in and do them all at once. The thighs are already pretty flat and consistent thickness so by the time each side & edges are golden brown they are nicely cooked through. Never any leftovers on these. Fingers or forks are allowed, BBQ or honey mustard sauce is optional.

Nice thing about thighs is they don't dry out. Because they are so uniform in size and thickness, cook time per side works out to when it looks done, it is done. So it's just a matter of checking the skillet side for color and flipping or removing them when it looks right*. Usually serve them up with dirty mashed golden potatoes (cream, salt, & lots of butter), country gravy with lots of pepper, and something green (asparagus or green beans when in), broccoli the rest of the time. This time of year, a marzen or other late summer beer is perfect with the above. Which reminds me that both Shiner and Narraganset both have marzen style "Fest" beers out now. Am curious, going to track one down this weekend.

*Verify you have a 165° internal temp. My stove heat & timing may not jive with yours.
I love you man.

I love you man.

Thx! I've used this instruction set enough to know it works great and so far, every time tried. Not so when I was using breasts & drumsticks as each has their own quirks. Had better success with drumsticks as the meat is darker and does not dry out as much. But, you have to pay attention and I usually have several things going at once. Breasts were hit or miss, usually miss, and too dry most of the time. If I went for golden batter color no go, they wanted to be pale and the batter not as good. I suspect I just did not work with them enough to figure out the best way and once I hit on thighs I never went back. They are about 100% of the chicken that runs through our house.

Top Bottom