What's new

Fried Chicken

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm not too much of a fried anything lately...unless its in butter...lol.

How do you fry your chicken? Details, pictures and recipes are crucial.

Kroger, or Tom Thumb on occasion. Worked to long at Churches and later Popeyes to ever consider doing it at home.

12 hour marinating is good for infusing a flavor throughout the meat(Churches), a cayenne pepper rub is good for adding spices to the crust(Popeyes).

Process pieces in the following order. Thighs, Legs, Breasts, Wings - helps get everything done at the same time.

Pieces goes in seasoned flour, then liquid, then back to seasoned flour, then into the oil. About 350° for 15minutes starting time after last piece added IIRC.

Sorry for no exact seasoning mixtures. They were a package to maintain recipe secrecy. Though the process might help though.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
hm, the local Winn-Dixie has outstanding FC, and a very good wing bar (well. Nowadays, the lunch lady there will stuff a bucket of wings for $10).

AA

Ingredients:
  • One cut-up chicken
  • 2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • Salt and pepper to taste (we usually put in about 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
  • a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon of paprika
  • 1 cup of buttermilk
  • about 2 quarts of vegetable oil
Mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl and put in a large plastic bag. Dip each chicken part thoroughly in the buttermilk and put in the plastic bag (you can put in a few at a time). Shake the plastic bag so the ingredients cover the chicken pieces. Remove the chicken and put on a cookie sheet or similar pan. Put oil in a large skillet or cast iron pan until it is about 1/2 full with oil. Heat the oil until hot but not smoking. Put in the chicken pieces arranging so they are not touching. Cook on both sides until brown. Reduce the heat and cover the skillet and cook for about 30 minutes, turning a few times. We then uncover the skillet and turn up the heat and cook for another five minutes to crisp up the chicken. We then remove the chicken from the oil and put them on paper towels to remove any excess oil.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Just last night my wife and I were talking about fried chicken and I realized that I've never had it. I've had KFC and Chick-Fil-A but never a genuine proper plate of fried chicken.

Go ahead. Call me a fool Yankee.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Just last night my wife and I were talking about fried chicken and I realized that I've never had it. I've had KFC and Chick-Fil-A but never a genuine proper plate of fried chicken.

No, no...I've never had cannoli.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1601076469631.png

I just asked the wife if we could have fried chicken, mashed taters and gravy and baked beans. Her reply? Sure, Kentucky Fried Chicken is just up the street. You weren’t asking me to cook it were you?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Fried chicken is something I recall fondly from the days of my youth .. once a month we'd have Colonel Sanders ..

Last time I tried KFC the initials had been re-purposed with UP - it was greasy awful. Haven't the courage to try again. I'd love to find some tips here,

Fried chicken is something I recall fondly from the days of my youth .. once a month we'd have Colonel Sanders ..

Last time I tried KFC the initials had been re-purposed with UP - it was greasy awful. Haven't the courage to try again. I'd love to find some tips here,
I’ve found that the quality varies greatly from store to store. We have one that is two miles south that is horrible. Another one two miles north is great. It’s truly a case of YMMV.

The best store bought fried chicken I’ve ever had was AQ Chicken in Springdale AR. Even then we found times it was horrible. There just doesn’t seem to be any consistency anymore.

Top Bottom