What's new

Fresh Roast SR-800

So I have a Fresh Roast SR-800 on the way, anyone here have one? If so, any pointers you'd suggest?

I just recently started roacting my own coffee and this will be my first dedicated coffee roasting machine. In the past I'd either roast the beans in a deep cast iron skillet or use a popcorn air popper.

Both methods worked with the cast iron skillet method being more inconsistent. The popcorn air popper worked great with a consistent roast every time, I just had to listen for the start of second crack and I knew my roast was were I wanted it. Unfortunately I've gone thru two of them in a years time. One stopped working altogether and the second started to require extensive cool down period between roasts of 4 ounce of beans per roast. Then, the fan stopped working and literally caught the last roast on fire in a matter of 30 seconds.
I enjoy a dark roast, but not that dark.
My preferred bean is Timor, but I'm not particularly picky and enjoy all types of coffee.

I haven't used the fresh roast, but I know there are some forums that will give you some help.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I do not have personal experience with an air roaster. I do know that times are shorter than drum.

Everyone talks about an "extension" that is 10" tall. This allows for more space for the beans to move around. I think that the capacity is still 1/2 pound with it.

This is all "hearsay"

I haven't used the fresh roast, but I know there are some forums that will give you some help.

Yeah, I've been watching some videos on YouTube, and it's good thing too! The unit was delivered early this morning and I looked the direction over. Took 10 minutes at a slow pace to read. Not a whole lot of useful, non really, roasting instructions.
It's seems that trial and error, along with detailed note taking is what I'll need to do for the most part.
Let the fun begin!

I do not have personal experience with an air roaster. I do know that times are shorter than drum.

Everyone talks about an "extension" that is 10" tall. This allows for more space for the beans to move around. I think that the capacity is still 1/2 pound with it.

This is all "hearsay"
You're correct, the extension is mainly for allowing more movement of the beans and not for more capacity. But that's fine with me. The most I've ever roasted, in 4 ounce batches, is one pound of green beans.

You're correct, the extension is mainly for allowing more movement of the beans and not for more capacity. But that's fine with me. The most I've ever roasted, in 4 ounce batches, is one pound of green beans.

Photos are required upon arrival.

I'm curious about this roaster. Seems that quite a few folks have upgraded the roasting chamber with great results. Aside from not needing another method of roasting coffee, the thing that would keep me from buying it are somewhat non-intuitive control scheme. Would be curious to know what you think of it.

Photos are required upon arrival.
Here are a few pictures for everyone.
Havn had watch some demonstration videos on YouTube and having some past experience roasting coffee, I found SR800 to be pretty easy to use. Knowing the different stages in a roast is key to the ease of using this roaster.
20210205_121026.jpg
The dial is pretty straightforward.
Press power to turn it on, press down on the knob to select either the fan, power or timer, and rotate the knob to increase or decrease each. Once you have the settings you what to start with, press the run/cool button. The videos I watched suggested having the fan turned all the way up and temperature/power set at 3 or 4 to allow the beans to dry some and prevent scorching the bottom beans.
Then it's just a matter of keeping and eye and making adjustments as you see fit.
Once the beans reach the roast, or just before once you've dialed in using the roaster, press the run/cool button to turn off the heat and cool down the beans. It was suggested to turn the fan all the way up to speed the cooling process.
Also, during the roast, if you turn the knob real fast, you will get a temperature reading.
20210205_121054.jpg
So, here is a picture of my first roast using the SR800. It took me 13.5 minutes to reach second crack and at the 14 minute mark I started the cool down.
Looks pretty evenly roasted, though not as dark as I prefer, and should taste pretty good!
All in all I'm happy thus far.
20210205_141634.jpg

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I used one for a while and like the results. I did eventually feel like I was spending all of my time roasting just to keep up with my coffee consumption. It is fun to do though. Let it offgas for a while and the flavor improves.

Obviously, you didn't try some of my early roasts. The results of those really only were good for medicinal purposes (and not on that good way).
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Well, I have long said we learn more from our mistakes than our successes.

Top Bottom