What's new

Fresh Market coffee recommendation?

hi there, just ordered an aeropress and a hand burr grinder and getting ready to jump into real coffee. i also will be getting a french press in the next day or two since i couldnt decide between and aeropress and a french press. i have zero experience with grinding my own beans and making real coffee. we have a Fresh Market close to us that sells roasted beans by the pound, so i figured this might be a good way to buy a few different types of beans to see what i like. My wife is a big mcds and starbucks coffee fan, so i want to get something that will be similar to those to sell her on my new equipment that will be showing up in the next few days. figure the best way to justify the costs is to give her a great cup of coffee!

i think fresh market is a nation chain grocery store so i can get some suggestions. we also have a trader joes and whole foods nearby if that helps with recommendations.

i want to get a few types of beans, but like i said at least one similar to starbucks or Mcds cup. i have had fresh coffee in jamaica before, blue mountain i believe which i thought was strong but good.

Please help!

The Fresh Market near me (well, Chapel Hill - not precisely "near") sold both their own coffee and some by Intelligentsia and Counter Culture, IIRC. The latter is probably higher quality, but also less fresh. If you go with stuff the Fresh Market sells, single-origin is where it's at.

I did a quick search, and if I should find myself in Annapolis, I'd check out Ceremony.
http://www.ceremonycoffee.com/

Between the two, I would run!(not walk) to Ceremony. Baltimore Coffee would drive me to drink a Red Bull, I imagine. Based just off of their coffee selections, of course.

Between the two, I would run!(not walk) to Ceremony. Baltimore Coffee would drive me to drink a Red Bull, I imagine. Based just off of their coffee selections, of course.

really? i was lookinng at their single origin coffee and a few sounded good. man, i have a lot to learn! i dont like flavored coffee, thats all i know at this point!

That's what my gut tells me as well. Not exactly an inspired selection, and from what I can gather, probably not a very meticulous roaster. It'd beat the pants off of Starbucks or McDonalds, but that's a low bar.

That's what my gut tells me as well. Not exactly an inspired selection, and from what I can gather, probably not a very meticulous roaster. It'd beat the pants off of Starbucks or McDonalds, but that's a low bar.

well Ceremony it is!

It's tough to tell. I've had better coffee at Starbucks than from other roasters with a similar.. er.. "image".

We have a fresh market near us too. I like the flavored coffee so I probably wouldn't be much help. But you should try the chocolate cherry flavored. It's great.

The Fresh Market near me (well, Chapel Hill - not precisely "near") sold both their own coffee and some by Intelligentsia and Counter Culture, IIRC. The latter is probably higher quality, but also less fresh. If you go with stuff the Fresh Market sells, single-origin is where it's at.

Fresh Market--is that where the old Harris Teeter was on 54? I completely forgot that it was there--in fact, I'm not sure if I've ever been inside. Is it worth a visit for anything?

For what you want in taste I would recommend a French roast . You need a dark roast to get a starbucks type taste

Fresh Market--is that where the old Harris Teeter was on 54? I completely forgot that it was there--in fact, I'm not sure if I've ever been inside. Is it worth a visit for anything?

Hey, Chris. It's over yonder. I can't be sure if that used to be an HT. It's your standard hippy grocery store, so if you have a hippy streak, sure! Bring your recycled sandals and reusable grocery bags.

just a quick update, went to Fresh Market and bought 6 types of beans, they sell it loose, so i only bought enough beans of each for a few cups of coffee. ones i didnt like were the caramel macchiato (wife wanted it) and kona. i really like the new orleans french roast (dark), jamaican blue so far. still have another two to try. i like being able to buy small quantities to try.

I did a quick search, and if I should find myself in Annapolis, I'd check out Ceremony.
http://www.ceremonycoffee.com/

just wanted to let you know i went to Ceremony yesterday, awesome recommendation. super nice guy took time to explain all the coffees to me, etc. the smell from the onsite roasting was awesome too. highly recommend it. tried the guatamela bean this morning, fantastic!

Berings hardware store on Westheimer in Houston, Texas has a good coffee bar with a knowledgable guy. About a dozen beans and blends available. He will grind to your preference, also gives advice for any one looking to try something new. Price is fair.

Top Bottom