What's new

Fresh Herbs

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
What does everybody have planted for use in cocktails? I have Mint, Mojito Mint, and Lemon Grass planted specifically for summer cocktails. I didn’t know until recently that there is a Mojito Mint that is distinctly different from the “regular” mint that’s sold at most farm stands and big box stores.

Others in the herb garden that are used less frequently in cocktails are Rosemary, Basil, Lavender, Sage, and Thyme. I have Cilantro too, but refuse to use it in a cocktail.

Cool topic. I really don't make cocktails much, as I'm usually far too lazy to deal with it. My Father-In-Law has a small garden though, and I did have a mint julep he made using fresh mint from his garden last year. It was too sweet for me, but that's just my taste. I don't believe he has used other herbs in cocktails, but he also grows rosemary, basil, and sage at least. Not sure of the others. Perhaps I need to find some recipes and convince him to branch out. :)

I agree, good topic. I do not have anything planted specifically for cocktails only. We definitely have lots of mint and rosemary. There is a specific cocktail I use rosemary in, and it is useful to other cocktails, like Spanish gin and tonics.

I did not know there was a special mojito mint! You have my attention.

If I was drinking a lot of Pimm's Cups, I would grow some borage, although as I recall adds only a very cucumber like aroma to the drink.

I cannot think of anything you have not listed that I would need in a cocktail, aside from citrus and the like! Bitter oranges maybe? I think some Carribbean drinks use sorrel, but I do not love it.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
If I was drinking a lot of Pimm's Cups, I would grow some borage, although as I recall adds only a very cucumber like aroma to the drink.
Interesting, I’ll have to look into that. I’ve seen a cucumber slice used as a garnish for a Pimm’s cup but have never tried it. My wife really likes a Pimm’s cup with a strawberry and a few mint leaves muddled into it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don't grow anything just for cocktails, but a good 80% of the mint I pick goes into one. We also have rosemary (which isn't bad at all in a cocktail when used sparingly). I usually have basil, but it didn't cooperate this year. I've never used marjoram, and that could be good in the right setting.

Top Bottom