What's new

French Shaving Soaps & Creams

I'm off to France for a couple of weeks on Wednesday, any shaving soaps/creams I should pick up when I'm there?

Thanks in advance...

Jonnybc said:
I'm off to France for a couple of weeks on Wednesday, any shaving soaps/creams I should pick up when I'm there?

Thanks in advance...
My recommendation would be one of everything.:biggrin:

On a more serious note, you might check out the L'ome for Men shaving products listed at French Soaps. Additionally, the Savon de Marseilles body soaps are excellent.

I've been on a big French shaving soap buying spree lately and I would recommend L'othantique Pere et Fils and Roger and Gallet Pour L'Homme.
When you are there also see if you can find Cacherel Pour L'Homme and Savon d' Alep, I have heard nothing but good things about these soaps.

Jonnybc said:

Thanks in advance...

Not sure about the french brands, but I regret never having found the time to check out this place last time I was in Paris:

http://www.planete-rasoir.com/

Its been recommended to me by a few shave aficionados on the boards. Next time I'm there I am definitely dropping by.

Hi John,

If you can find it there is a French shaving cream called Cible and it comes in a tube. It's pretty good stuff but very hard to come by. I think it actually comes in a few varieties and you want the one marked "avec blaireau". It also has a nice scent to it that you don't normally come by. Hope you find it and like it.

Chris

reginald-van-gleason said:
Not sure about the french brands, but I regret never having found the time to check out this place last time I was in Paris:

http://www.planete-rasoir.com/

Its been recommended to me by a few shave aficionados on the boards. Next time I'm there I am definitely dropping by.

How about some Plisson brushes? This is Planete Raisor in Paris. Stopped by for a visit last December. Beautiful shop and hard to resist leaving empty handed. So I didn't.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Jonnybc said:

Thanks in advance...
John,
Being somewhat of a francoFOAM I would suggest any and all of those I identified in the French Soaps thread plus one that I have not tried. The Joris soap has been tauted as quite good by the potentates of poobah on some of the other boards. FYI, Joris is a "division" of Pli$$on or was when I last checked. Enjoy your visit. Perhaps a visit to Brasserie Lippe or Brasserie La Lorraine (EXCELLENT Choucroute Garnie) should be high on the list of things to do for a grand lunch. Too bad sea food, in particular shell fish, is a no no this month and next. The plate fruit de mer is good enough to kill for!
At any rate have a good time.

Ron, seeing as you are an afficionado of French Shaving soaps, have you any experience with the Cacherel product? I remember one reviewer giving it a glowing endorsement on these boards sometime ago, but I have never been able to track down a source. It isn't even on the Cacherel web site, which, I'm assuming, means that it is no longer manufactured, still I live in hope....

Thanks everyone. Those brushes look fantastic!

I guessed you'd have something to say regarding French soaps being the aficionado you are in both soaps AND France!

I'll be staying in Biarritz but I'll be driving down the length of France to get there. I've spent quite some time down the West coast of France and always have Fruit de Mer when I'm there. As you say though seafood without an R in the month is a big no no, but when they're pulling out oysters from the mouth of the Gironde it's difficult to resist they’re unbelievably fresh.

John, I know little-to-nothing about French soaps and creams, and certainly can't add anything useful at this point... I just wanted to mention that I am green with envy of your trip to France (I would love to go there). Enjoy the trip.

Alex-
I believe you are referring to my glowing review of the Cacharel shave soap. It is a great soap, really nice scent... definitely a stand-out. I received it in a trade from a chap who lives across the pond. I don't believe he lives in France, but somewhere in Europe. I don't know how he came about the soap, as I have not been able to find it anywhere on the web either. However, if you are able to hunt some down, I would highly recommend you purchase it. Best of luck

Drew

NMMB said:
John, I know little-to-nothing about French soaps and creams, and certainly can't add anything useful at this point... I just wanted to mention that I am green with envy of your trip to France (I would love to go there). Enjoy the trip.

Thanks Michael, I'm counting the hours!

AJS said:
Ron, seeing as you are an afficionado of French Shaving soaps, have you any experience with the Cacherel product? I remember one reviewer giving it a glowing endorsement on these boards sometime ago, but I have never been able to track down a source. It isn't even on the Cacherel web site, which, I'm assuming, means that it is no longer manufactured, still I live in hope....
Sorry Alex,
The only real experience with Cacherel is they were very generous in supporting the 40 and 8 in Paris many years ago.

I really like the Institute Karite shea butter soap I have - ho hum smell, but great lather.

Have a great trip.

Suzuki said:
I really like the Institute Karite shea butter soap I have - ho hum smell, but great lather.

Have a great trip.
Have you tried any of the other shea butter loaded French soaps?

Nope - so really can't compare.

I wrote a review of the soap - lathers well and has great moisturizing properties.

I find the later somewhere between a glycerine-based soap and a cream.

I really should try some others (just looking for an excuse for my SCAD!).

Suzuki said:
Nope - so really can't compare.

I wrote a review of the soap - lathers well and has great moisturizing properties.

I find the later somewhere between a glycerine-based soap and a cream.

I really should try some others (just looking for an excuse for my SCAD!).
The only reason I ask is I have tried Institute Karite and a few others. While decent, I find the Institute the least of the batch.

Top Bottom