What's new

French Shaving Soaps & Creams

guenron said:
The only reason I ask is I have tried Institute Karite and a few others. While decent, I find the Institute the least of the batch.

Interesting, I will definitely have to try some others, but will likely wait until the weather gets colder and I can properly evaluate the moisturizing properties.

Thanks for the advice.

Rather than start a new thread, just wanted to say I am off to Paris tonight and will try very hard to make my way to Planete Rasior.

I've been going solo with soaps for the past six months - Tabac, Gentlemen's Quarter varieties, C&E Sandlewood - and am very excited about picking up some top notch French soaps.

Any updated French soap recommendations?

BTW, I'll be travelling with my fat-handled gold tech, israeli blades, QED bathtub gin stick, and Saville Row travel brush.

Hi John,

If you can find it there is a French shaving cream called Cible and it comes in a tube. It's pretty good stuff but very hard to come by. I think it actually comes in a few varieties and you want the one marked "avec blaireau". It also has a nice scent to it that you don't normally come by. Hope you find it and like it.

Chris

unless I'm wrong, doesn't "avec blaireau" mean "with badger"????
does that mean its made with real badger?... reminds me of the movie Ron Burgundy where the guys puts on "Sex Panther" - "its made with bits of real panthers...."
:lol::lol::lol:

unless I'm wrong, doesn't "avec blaireau" mean "with badger"????
does that mean its made with real badger?... reminds me of the movie Ron Burgundy where the guys puts on "Sex Panther" - "its made with bits of real panthers...."
:lol::lol::lol:

It means it can be used with a brush; as opposed to the other brushless varieties.

I've only tried Roger and Gallet L'homme but I can vouch for it. The shave quality compares with Trumper, Harris and the scent is pretty unique (some say too strong). The puck is rock solid so it takes a bit more effort to charge up the brush. That solidness is also making my puck last a long time. Lots of shaves and barely a dent in size.

If you are a fan of getting the accompanying wood bowl with a soap, the Gallet bowl is nice, and unique. But it is pricer than Harris or Trumper.

I've only tried Roger and Gallet L'homme but I can vouch for it. The shave quality compares with Trumper, Harris and the scent is pretty unique (some say too strong). The puck is rock solid so it takes a bit more effort to charge up the brush. That solidness is also making my puck last a long time. Lots of shaves and barely a dent in size.

If you are a fan of getting the accompanying wood bowl with a soap, the Gallet bowl is nice, and unique. But it is pricer than Harris or Trumper.

Good reason for the prix:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason I ask is I have tried Institute Karite and a few others. While decent, I find the Institute the least of the batch.

I find the IK, the best of the batch, then Pre de Provence and then the Provence Sante...I haven't tried any others yet .

^^

Does the Roger et Gallet scent weakens after a while like, say, Pré de Provence, or does it stay strong? I can get this soap locally but the overpowering scent has turned me off the last time I was about to buy it. I might get it anyway to fullfill my current FSSAD though. (French SSAD :biggrin: )

Noc.

^^

Does the Roger et Gallet scent weakens after a while like, say, Pré de Provence, or does it stay strong? I can get this soap locally but the overpowering scent has turned me off last the last time I was about to buy it. I might get it anyway to fullfill my current FSSAD though. (French SSAD :biggrin: )

Noc.
When I first got the R&G it was very strong smelling, a stronger scent and wider "dispersal pattern even than QED soaps! Even though it was wrapped in plastic it smelled quite strongly as soon as I opened the cardboard box. It smelled up my bathroom closet for several days after I unwrapped it and put it in the wooden bowl. The scent has subsided significantly since then. I have to stick my nose up to it to pick up the scent. But be careful. Make sure you like the the scent in case it doesn't subside to levels you find acceptable.

I just left Planete Rasoir.

They have C&E, Taylor's, Harris, Proraso, Martin De Candre

They do not have Pre de Provence, Provence Sante, or Roger et Galette d'homme.

Needless to say I am rather disappointed.

Top Bottom